Thread: Ancient TW2: EGYPTIAN FACTION (RoP)

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Ancient TW2: EGYPTIAN FACTION (RoP)

In 560BC, Egypt was once again under a native dynasty, the 26th, based in the northern city of Sais. Militarily, the Egyptians were probably more conservative even than the Spartans, and by this era the army was looking decidedly dated.

This faction begins with two provinces - Upper and Lower Egypt. To the west lies Libya, to the east Nabatea and Coele Syria. Whilst the Babylonians currently hold Coele Syria as part of their empire, the other two provinces are rebel-held. Any Pharaoh worthy of the name will be looking to re-establish Egyptian control of all those lands lost by previous dynasties, because the Egyptian realm is but a shadow of its former imperial glory. Bringing once-subject peoples back under Egyptian suzerainty will help fill the ranks of the Pharaonic armies, too.

Temples raised to the old gods of Egypt perform a central role in the development and maintenance of the culture of the Two Lands, and should not be overlooked by the Pharaoh if he is to bring glory to his people.*

Troop Roster (starting provinces)

• Egyptian chariots (Royal)
    • Slingers
    • Nubian Archers
    • Nubian Spearmen
    • Nubian Guards
    • Djamu (Egyptian militia)
    • Pidatu (Egyptian archers)
    • Nakhtu-aa (Egyptian heavy infantry - dismount gives them throwing spears, too)

• Egyptian Spearmen from HIGH era

Taking back previous Egyptian territory will extend the recruitment zone for Egyptian troops as well as allowing the recruitment of some foreign auxilliaries - within easy reach are Numidian Heavy Cavalry, Amazigh Cavalry, Aramaean Cameliers and Libyan Spearmen. Alas, the Egyptian navy is very poor, preferring to spend their time pootling up and down the Nile instead of fighting foreign warships on the high seas....

* The Egyptian temples have been overhauled since the original Ancient TW, and the new province resource system means they can finally be implemented in the way I had originally wanted to do
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 06-29-2016 at 02:58.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Default Re: Ancient TW2: EGYPTIAN FACTION (RoP)

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    ......* The Egyptian temples have been overhauled since the original Ancient TW, and the new province resource system means they can finally be implemented in the way I had originally wanted to do
    Great news ! , when yr ready & get the time Mac tell us a bit about your new implementations .

I think some of the features should be discovered 'in-game' for the most fun, but the important aspects are that buildings can now be restricted to specific provinces, so they can be given more historically-pertinent roles (offices, bonuses etc).

The temple system overhaul has now combined the basic Shrine of Horus with the four major Temples I had (Ra, Set, Amun and Ptah) into a single upgrade chain. This has three main benefits:

1) the Shrine can be built anywhere, but each Temple can only be built in a single province
    2) each temple is an upgrade of the Shrine, and therefore replaces it in those territories, with 'foreign' provinces limited to the shrine only
    3) by making it a single chain I have freed up four spaces in the build_prod file for new buildings

I'm also thinking of going the same route as Cegorach has in PMTW and combining the tavern and brothel series into one, to train both spies and assassins in the same building, which would give us another free building slot. In fact, I'm thinking of going further than that, and moving those agents into one of the temples for the Egyptians... (the combined tavern/brothel will stay as brothel, just to keep those nice brothel icons )

Another feature implemented is that some of these province-unique buildings act as 'tech accelerators' and will allow you to reach top building upgrades before building all the usual prerequisites - obviously this is limited to certain provinces only.

Discussion forum thread

I'm also thinking of going the same route as Cegorach has in PMTW and combining the tavern and brothel series into one, to train both spies and assassins in the same building, which would give us another free building slot. In fact, I'm thinking of going further than that, and moving those agents into one of the temples for the Egyptians... (the combined tavern/brothel will stay as brothel, just to keep those nice brothel icons )

Another feature implemented is that some of these province-unique buildings act as 'tech accelerators' and will allow you to reach top building upgrades before building all the usual prerequisites - obviously this is limited to certain provinces only.
    Very good Mac , I'm beginning to understand the importance & value of this Stazi discovery .... more beer for you Stazi

The Nakhtuaa , are they supposed to be mounted troops ?

No, the Nakhtu-aa are heavy infantry - the 'dismount' terminology is purely MTW-speak for 'change battle mode'... they are heavy infantry in mode 1, but mode 2 is heavy inf with added javelins. Human players can handle this well, the AI can't, so the 'standard issue' is without javs, even though in reality they often did fight with javelins.... hope that makes some sense It's similar to what I did with tribal spearmen/tribal missile spearmen.

That's the one big bugbear with the MTW engine - give a unit a missile weapon and it goes to default skirmish mode, and the AI gets confused about how to use it. If the coding-fairy granted me one free wish for altering the engine it would be that one - put the decision over skirmish/engage at will/hold formation into the unit_prod instead of hard-coding it.

Discussion forum thread

..... If the coding-fairy granted me one free wish for altering the engine it would be that one - put the decision over skirmish/engage at will/hold formation into the unit_prod instead of hard-coding it.
    Ahhhh , ok I understand now , just like the Slingers .
    I reckon we should not stop believing in fairies
    Perhaps if we ask them for a patch , they may grant us a few simple things including another 12 Custom folders for troops