Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We no longer debate the merit of ideas here.

Default Re: We no longer debate the merit of ideas here.

It's just a reflection of how discussion has generally devolved in the West. Anger is addictive.

Some will say that the intelligent ones left or stopped posting. That's as masturbatory as you can get. There is nothing intelligent about spending your free time posting 1,000 word posts on a video game forum.

Blog Entries

There was when I was talking with people who wanted to talk. Best reality checks I ever had were at the hands of people who used to frequent here. Now all I have to talk to is a self hating german, a metropolitan nationalist, an incomprehensible dutchman and a tunnel visioned Ukranian, none of them know how to talk to someone you actually want to persuade and the most eye opening information I've learned in the last 6 months is the utility of potential energy of man-made lakes in hydroelectric power production.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-06-2016 at 04:38.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    There are a number of reasons for this, rose-tinted goggles aside.

1. An exodus has occurred.
    A large number of people have left, leaving a handful of perspectives. As mentioned before, this results in fewer viewpoints.

2. Relaxed moderation.
    I approve of minimal oversight and fewer rules for discussion forums. However, this has led to certain parties that tend to like games about supremacy and hegemony to take advantage of the situation and throw around their views. Normally, they would be laughed out of the forums by the vast majority. This does not happen because the population is so small and everyone feels isolated and embattled. This further leads to the loudest and most vocal extremes to be the most common voice, making existing divisions worse.

3. Lack of unifying trait.
    Whether the newer TW titles are badly made or uninteresting, people don't play the games as much anymore. People originally came here for one reason, and that is because they liked the games so much that they wanted to be around those who like them too. Personally, I don't like the newer titles too much, and I believe that the industry is suffering from a plague of DLC, which turns buying games from a fun experience into a gauntlet of comparing deals and waiting for the 30$ GOTY edition to show up.
    One more reason missing:
    4. People here (as well as everywhere) are getting older. They have other joys and sorrows to attend to and other errands to run. And the evidence of this is even this thread aiming to discuss how things were better before, when snow was whiter, grass greener, water wetter and women younger. Typical old farts' grumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    There was when I was talking with people who wanted to talk. Best reality checks I ever had were at the hands of people who used to frequent here. Now all I have to talk to is a self hating german, a metropolitan nationalist, an incomprehensible dutchman and a tunnel visioned Ukranian, none of them know how to talk to someone you actually want to persuade
    I like it. A person (let's call him a spelling-crippled Brexiter) complaining that people don't want to talk to him and putting labels on those who do, and all this in one post. If someone stopped communicating with you, perhaps it is also your fault, isn't it? And, curiously, labels are put on those whom you don't agree with on some points of moment.
    As for inability to persuade others - people come here not to persuade anyone, but to air their views which have already been fossilized before they aired them. Like your views on Brexit - whatever reasonable arguments others might have given you, you stick to your opinion no matter what. And since you didn't persuade anyone here it seems that you don't "know how to talk to someone you actually want to persuade" (Greyblades 2016:#32) either.

and the most eye opening information I've learned in the last 6 months is the utility of potential energy of man-made lakes in hydroelectric power production.
    If a person for half a year hasn't learnt anything astonishing, it is definitely the fault of this forum. As well as a nasty drop of the pound after Brexit and England losing to Iceland.

And for me an eyeopener in this post was the fact that among all nationalities Ukrainian was the only one capitalized.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 07-06-2016 at 06:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    There is nothing intelligent about spending your free time posting 1,000 word posts on a video game forum.
    What do you mean by this?

self hating german, a metropolitan nationalist, an incomprehensible dutchman and a tunnel visioned Ukranian
    1. I am shocked that cognitive dissonance hasn't split you into at least 2 different people.
    2. What is my label?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    One more reason missing:
    4. People here (as well as everywhere) are getting older. They have other joys and sorrows to attend to and other errands to run. And the evidence of this is even this thread aiming to discuss how things were better before, when snow was whiter, grass greener, water wetter and women younger. Typical old farts' grumbling.
    This sort of goes with my first reason. In addition, internet communities tend to decay after about 10 years unless some influence reignites interest. The backroom is not an exception.

The backroom really was better back when I joined. It can become good again.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Blog Entries

Saw that coming a mile away, disrespect breeds only disrespect and patience can be the difference between a mind chanegd and hardened. Neither virtue been exercised against those who disagree with much frequency by many here in recent memory, even by myself.

As for crossloper
    1. I am neither incomprehensable, metropolitan or self hating and I am fairly sure I am not tunnel visioned, whereas Fragony, pannonian, husar, and Gilrandir respectively are. I have flaws, I can provide a list if you want, but they dont include those particular proclivities.
    2. You arent memorable, post more and that might change.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-06-2016 at 07:17.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Nice tunnel you have there, where can I get one

Member thankful for this post:

1. I am neither incomprehensable, metropolitan or self hating and I am fairly sure I am not tunnel visioned, whereas Fragony, pannonian, husar, and Gilrandir respectively are. I have flaws, I can provide a list if you want, but they dont include those particular proclivities.
    The flaws on your list do not neccessarily coincide with your flaws as perceived by others. Especially if you are failrly sure in them.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    There is one between Calais and Dover up for grabs now.
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-06-2016 at 17:26.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (3):

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I mistook metaphors, I meant one track mind not tunnel vision.

That's not how either metaphor works though.
    The flaws on your list do not neccessarily coincide with your flaws as perceived by others. Especially if you are failrly sure in them.
    I do not doubt that our lists differ, considering you have a tendancy of telling yourself that your failures to convince me to adopt your point of view are actually down to my unreasonableness.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-07-2016 at 03:40. Reason: Sspelling nazis.

I do not dount that our lists differ, considering you have a tendancy of telling yourself that your failures to convince me to adopt your point of view are actually down my unreasonableness.
    Now who is being incomprehensible? Is "down" a verb? Then why do you need "are"? If it is a preposition (like in "to be down the river") then I don't understand the idiom "to be down smb's unreasonableness".

What I surmise from this post is: you think that I believe I can't persuade you in something because you are unreasonable. This is not what I claimed. I said that people here (as much as elsewhere) have developed a pre-conceived attitude to things and have come to announce it. This attitude is not likely to be changed or even shaken by the kind of discussion on these boards - protracted in time slow-unraveling communication with random people from all over the world whose complex worldviews are simplifed by their interlocutors to be described with a stygma (e.g. tunnel-visioned Tom, metropolitan Matt, etc). Such kind of discussion reminds gossiping with the corresponding treatment thereof which can be epitomized by the statement "who are YOU to try to teach me anything?"
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 07-06-2016 at 15:56.

Blog Entries

Serious moderation hat now.

I know this subject is rather touchy, and people do have differing views and opinions, as to why or even who, but I kindly request for patrons to avoid personal attacks on each other. I feel even with differing opinions, there is still ground to respectfully disagree between people and leave it there.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Saw that coming a mile away, disrespect breeds only disrespect and patience can be the difference between a mind chanegd and hardened. Neither virtue been exercised against those who disagree with much frequency by many here in recent memory, even by myself.
    From what I've seen, people have not really shown any hostility towards you. You tend to complain about your treatment, but sometimes your treatment of others borders on contempt and you act like everyone here is here for you.

For what it's worth, back in the day there was an actual nazi and some dude who thought that nationally and internationally recognized health organizations were a scam or something. They caused a lot more controversy than you, and people never really took it far beyond calling them out on that. The nazi had his victim complex triggered and left because he could not understand why a suburban whiteboy cannot call a black man who became president a monkey. He also thought that Germany could have all its problems solved if they started goosestepping all the time.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Now who is being incomprehensible? Is "down" a verb? Then why do you need "are"? If it is a preposition (like in "to be down the river") then I don't understand the idiom "to be down smb's unreasonableness".

What I surmise from this post is: you think that I believe I can't persuade you in something because you are unreasonable. This is not what I claimed. I said that people here (as much as elsewhere) have developed a pre-conceived attitude to things and have come to announce it. This attitude is not likely to be changed or even shaken by the kind of discussion on these boards - protracted in time slow-unraveling communication with random people from all over the world whose complex worldviews are simplifed by their interlocutors to be described with a stygma (e.g. tunnel-visioned Tom, metropolitan Matt, etc). Such kind of discussion reminds gossiping with the corresponding treatment thereof which can be epitomized by the statement "who are YOU to try to teach me anything?"
    Frustrated grammarian?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Serious moderation hat now.

I know this subject is rather touchy, and people do have differing views and opinions, as to why or even who, but I kindly request for patrons to avoid personal attacks on each other. I feel even with differing opinions, there is still ground to respectfully disagree between people and leave it there.
    How polite! Banquo and I just pulled out the "ban-stick" and laid about....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Even I got a few strokes of that one myself.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

TWC's wubs were directly inspired by Banquo replacing profanities with flowers.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Some of the more interesting posters left, I think in often due to fall-outs although can't remember how far that is true. Remember Louis, Adrian, the angry Irish guy with the Woad Warrior profile pic, how could I forget his name? HoreTore had kept things going on here even when the decline was well underway, what a tragedy it was for a young guy like him to pass away.

Nobody has ever filled the shoes of these people. Discussions now seem to always end up going into the same topics - immigration, Ukraine etc. There just aren't enough regular posters to keep it interesting, we've fell below that point of critical mass that used to get the forum through the quiet spells.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    the angry Irish guy with the Woad Warrior profile pic
    Tribesman. Gave an ultimatum either the staff perma-banned another member, or he left. That member wasn't perma-banned, so he left.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    From what I've seen, people have not really shown any hostility towards you.
    I've been abusing him, but that's only because he rarely makes sense.

Ah, the good old days when you could disagree with people who actually made sense...

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Tribesman. Gave an ultimatum either the staff perma-banned another member, or he left. That member wasn't perma-banned, so he left.
    Of course, Tribesman! That brings back another name: Navaros. I'm sure there was a rumour that Navaros was a very well-disguised parody account by Tribesman if I remember rightly.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Of course, Tribesman! That brings back another name: Navaros. I'm sure there was a rumour that Navaros was a very well-disguised parody account by Tribesman if I remember rightly.
    Cursory check suggests they have been posting from different continents. They both use the same avatar though, so it could be related to that. I cannot remember Navaros well enough to comment more than that.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Cursory check suggests they have been posting from different continents. They both use the same avatar though, so it could be related to that. I cannot remember Navaros well enough to comment more than that.
    He was a Christian fundamentalist (with the emphasis on mentalist) until he decided the New Testament was too wishy washy and went full Old Testament instead. It's rare that you see a devout Christian say that Jesus got it wrong and that he (the believer) knows better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    It's rare that you see a devout Christian say that Jesus got it wrong and that he (the believer) knows better.
    Wasn't there a couple of dudes here a year or so ago who tried to prove that global warming was impossible because there were palm trees in Antarctica 5000 years ago and some other finely roasted tripe?

Blog Entries

Such kind of discussion reminds gossiping with the corresponding treatment thereof which can be epitomized by the statement "who are YOU to try to teach me anything?"
    More like "you can teach me facts, but you wont imprint your opinion that easily"

Yes, My spelling deteriorates the more agitated or excited I get. It's still ledgible around 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    He was a Christian fundamentalist (with the emphasis on mentalist) until he decided the New Testament was too wishy washy and went full Old Testament instead. It's rare that you see a devout Christian say that Jesus got it wrong and that he (the believer) knows better.
    ...Doesnt that make him jewish? Do the adheirants of abrahamic successor religions default back to the original when they start rejecting the new way?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-07-2016 at 03:55.

More like "you can teach me facts, but you wont imprint your opinion that easily"

Yes, My spelling deteriorates the more agitated or excited I get. It's still ledgible around 95% of the time.

...Doesnt that make him jewish? Do the adheirants of abrahamic successor religions default back to the original when they start rejecting the new way?
    He specifically wrote that he felt the old testament covenant was the better choice. So yes, a move to at least quasi-judaism would have been needed.

I used to love Tribesmand, Gawain, Red Harvest, and Crazed Rabbit going after things like gun control....ah...a virtual STUDY in polemics.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Miss that smugg bastard AdrianII and Louis most of all

Frustrated grammarian?
    Objection, your honor: grammatist.

That's what I said. It is a universal thing given the kind of communication we indulge in. Though is is sad that FACTS can't teach you anything.

Time is changing, we are changing with them

Sent from my Smartfren Andromax AD688G using Tapatalk

Never thought he was all that smug, per se, though he did enjoy tweaking you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast