Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military coup in Turkey

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Military coup in Turkey

There are no sources, it's how I would do it if I was a machivallian eurocrat. People are reluctant to act against their own

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    There are no sources, it's how I would do it if I was a machivallian eurocrat.
    Sentence that refers to what I said.

People are reluctant to act against their own
    Random sentence that is completely unrelated at first sight.

Attempting request for further information in Fragoninglish: Qué?

Are you suggesting they want an EU army to start a military dictatorship? Do you not know that we already have foreign overlords?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016...n_9297112.html
    David Icke Backs ‘Brexit’
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/...-an-inside-job
    David Icke insists Royal Family are ‘shape-shifting lizards’
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-investigation
    Europe to crack down on wildlife smugglers to protect rare lizard species
    Oooooh, I get it now...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I think eurocrats will do anything to keep the EU alive yes, including turning on European citizens the hard way. Most convenient in case of riots would be soldiers that have no emotional ties with the country they are stationed. I think that's also the reason why they want to spread possible jihadi's all over Europe, more EU needed, needs more power.
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-18-2016 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Secondly, I would think because NATO is not always taken so seriously and there are fears that some countries may ignore a call to arms by NATO.
    So the EU is taken seriously?

For example, are all NATO soldiers required to speak a common language or could there be cases where one doesn't understand what the superior wants from him over the radio?
    Superiors must speak more languages than the file and rank, so getting an order from a NATO commander in English a colonel from Poland will address his soldiers in Polish.

A lot of people say that NATO is just a bunch of countries waiting for the US to come and rescue them, the EU army would seem like an effort of Europe to take its defense into its own hands.
    ... which will put double stress on the national budgets since they will have to allot money both for NATO and the EU army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Kinda odd, they could have shot down Erdogan's plane but didn't. It was right in their sights
    @hussie, can't compliment you enough on your English language skills, I am really poor at six
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-19-2016 at 07:20.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/18/eu...oup/index.html

"The people now have the idea, after so many terrorist incidents, that these terrorists should be killed, that's where they are, they don't see any other outcome to it," he said.
    "Why should I keep them and feed them in prisons, for years to come? That's what the people say," he said. "They want a swift end to it, because people lost relatives, lost neighbors, lost children ... they're suffering, so the people are very sensitive and we have to act very sensibly and sensitively."
    The comments come in the wake of the President's vow over the weekend that those responsible "will pay a heavy price for this act of treason."
    A total of 8,777 officers from the Turkish Ministry of Interior have so far been removed from office, according to the state-run Anadolu news agency.
    Given that he calls journalists who are critical of him terrorists as well, there's nothing that could go wrong...

The "good thing" about it is this: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tu...-idUSKCN0ZY0YI

Turkey cannot join the European Union if it reinstates the death penalty, German Chancellor Angela Merkel told Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan in a telephone call on Monday, a German spokeswoman said.

Turkey abolished capital punishment in 2004, allowing it to open EU accession talks the following year, but the negotiations have made scant progress since then.
    he doesn't seem to care much at this point however, wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't really want to join anymore and would rather become a strong Sultan of a strong Turkey.

It's all kinda bewildering, the EU keeps talking with him despite human-rights violations. But he isn't stupid he will detract his fart on death penalty seemingly giving eurocrats what they can present as having any cojones, and talks about visum free travel will continue, the nightmare of every modern-minded Euro-Turk.
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-19-2016 at 12:16.

It's all kinda bewildering, the EU keeps talking with him despite human-rights violations. But he isn't stupid he will detract his fart on death penalty seemingly giving eurocrats what they can present as having any cojones, and talks about visum free travel will continue, the nightmare of every modern-minded Euro-Turk.
    I assume that they keep talking with him hoping that he will come around and try to join, with all the human rights changes that entails. And of course because that was part of the refugeee deal...

I assume that they keep talking with him hoping that he will come around and try to join, with all the human rights changes that entails. And of course because that was part of the refugeee deal...
    They aren't exactly usefull there, nor needed, the Balkan route is as good as closed. I don't know why we are still on speaking terms

Kinda odd, they could have shot down Erdogan's plane but didn't. It was right in their sights
    The pilot of Erdogan's plane reportedly told them it was an ordinary passenger plane.

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

https://www.rt.com/news/351995-wikil...key-documents/

WikiLeaks reported suffering a “sustained attack” after it announced the upcoming release of hundreds of thousands of documents relating to Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s Justice and Development Party (AKP) in the wake of a failed military coup.

Despite the attack, the famous whistleblowing site promised to “prevail & publish” the first batch of documents on Tuesday. Earlier WikiLeaks announced that the release of documents, which could expose the Turkish “political power structure”, will contain 300,000 emails and 500,000 documents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

So, they've come for the academics and (what's left of) the press.

Remind me, who's next on the road to dictatorship?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Reducing electoral power of the masses. This can be by having the legislature vote itself out of existence (adios Weimar Germany), but changing the rules of government so that any representative body is functionally powerless (U.S. state legislatures increasingly), or watering down the power of the vote so that only certain votes really count ("Tribal" and class voting in the Roman Repuiblic).
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CnvrwcRXgAUK8p-.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	18731

Looks like the "cleanup" continues.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Interesting that they would purge so many of the education ministry. I suppose hes trying to purge the Gulen influences or something? Certainly a dark time for secularism in Turkey.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

And to think I saw some Turkish expats turning up their collective nose at the idea of a coup. I suppose it's easy to rest on your ideals thousands of miles away.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CnvrwcRXgAUK8p-.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	18731

Looks like the "cleanup" continues.
    I was severely warned once not to refer to social networks posts. Has anything changed since then?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Interesting that they would purge so many of the education ministry. I suppose hes trying to purge the Gulen influences or something? Certainly a dark time for secularism in Turkey.
    Erdogan is determined to destroy Gülen, even blackmails America by surrounding an American base in Turkey. It's going to be interesting to see what the leaks prior to the coup got to show. Must be something there because Turkey completily shut wikileaks down.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    So, they've come for the academics and (what's left of) the press.

Remind me, who's next on the road to dictatorship?
    Lets see an officer purge, check
    High level aids (probably because they saw how fast he high tailed it out of the country), check
    Academics, check
    Reporters, check

Leaves the clergy and oppositions parties to remove
    And a special presidential/black/red/revolutionary guard to put in place
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

You forgot the judges. That's a check also.

If he's taking a page from NSDAP, the unions (do they have unions in Turkey?) should be taken care of next.

Also, I'd be surprised if turkish domestic intelligence doesn't have a lot of "new exciting job opportunities" in the near future.

All of that doesn't stop the EU from talking about joining though, they now condemn his plans for the death-penalty, which he will not introduce, no loss of face for the childless mutti, and Erdogan looks reasonable. Full steam ahead. Erdogan's has his hairy hand between Merkel's plumb legs. I wonder what's in the 300.000 leaked e-mails
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-20-2016 at 10:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I was severely warned once not to refer to social networks posts. Has anything changed since then?
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

In case anyone missed what Fragony is talking about: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/0...204637732.html

I have no idea what you're talking about.
    My long-standing argument with Brenus on how reliable social network information. He said it isn't.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Not much of a surprise really -- treason never prospers (for if it does....).

If you rebel and you lose then you are neatly identified as "the problem" for the existing powers-that-be and removal is really the only logical choice. That is all that is happening so far. Now, depending on how long the pogrom continues and how power rules are re-written, THEN we shall see what we shall see.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Blog Entries

Nothing like the tyranical retaliation towards a failed coup to make a military dictatorship seem like the right choice.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Nothing like the tyranical retaliation towards a failed coup to make a military dictatorship seem like the right choice.
    Absolutely, and there are several historical examples we can point to [Mubarek, post Sadat; Sukarno/Suharto in 1965; etc.]. Yet this was not a faked coup staged for the purpose of allowing a political crackdown [Reichstag fire of 1933]. Erdogan is simply acting -- fairly logically really -- to remove opposition that has already gone outside the law to try to remove him from power.

Obviously, it could be used to further a dictatorship -- Islamic websites are praising the Islamic character of Erdogan's support and encouraging Turkey to reject Kemal Attaturk's "coup." So some support does exist for Erdogan to consolidate power and revamp the republic. We shall see what we shall see.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Blog Entries

I dont think the coup was faked, but when the crackdown began on judges and the like who almost certainly had nothing to do with it, it became clear that erdogan's reaction was somewhat more than a measured response.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I dont think the coup was faked, but when the crackdown began on judges and the like who almost certainly had nothing to do with it, it became clear that erdogan's reaction was somewhat more than a measured response.
    A valid point, given that the lists of people to be removed were apparently ready before the coup even started. I don't think you can do thorough background checks to find thousands of judges to remove within 24 hours after a coup. He must at least have had some "potentially unwanted people" watchlists of people he'd want removed in the long term. It reeks of surveillance state and secret government spying in peoples' lives, or would a democrat have such lists ready as well? For criminals maybe, but people who don't agree with their politics and are not exactly politically active/political opponents?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

We really need to get our nukes out of Incirlik.

Faked or not, he is taking full advantage of it. Turkey will have a new constitution soon, and he will be Padishah-for-life.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast