Thread: Minor settlement changes, no free garrisons?

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Default Minor settlement changes, no free garrisons?

I noticed in my new 2.2 campaign that the free upkeep of a unit has been removed. This was something I really enjoyed in earlier versions. Am I missing something. While I don't doubt that the eb team did this for historical/balance reasons, I still can't help but wonder why. In case it matters, I was campaigning for Arche Seleucia.
    Btw, thank you for your wonderful and hard work on this mod. It's a peice of art.

4x
    1x

Default Re: Minor settlement changes, no free garrisons?

There's still free upkeep for some units in some goverment types. The minor settlements were removed because the AI couldn't handle them. They would park their armies there and leave their actual cities to be besieged and would never try to help them out. So it was a necessary change for a better gameplay
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    There's still free upkeep for some units in some goverment types. The minor settlements were removed because the AI couldn't handle them. They would park their armies there and leave their actual cities to be besieged and would never try to help them out. So it was a necessary change for a better gameplay
    What do you mean? Minor settlements will be eliminate from the map?

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrea.bettini View Post
    What do you mean? Minor settlements will be eliminate from the map?
    No they still appear on the map as a "tile" but you can no longer garrison troops inside them.

4x
    1x

There is a way to turn them back?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

They've been removed because they ruin the CAI, we've seen it time and again that a faction can have a full stack parked in a minor settlement, while ignoring the fact that their capital is under siege. They waste turn after turn shuffling units in and out of them. They make for awful battle maps, too, where we either have to use an ahistorical fort model, or have broken BAI because there are no walls.

It's not possible to turn them "back on" without a major edit of the descr_strat, they've all been turned into a resource, so they just show up as icons on the map and nothing more.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR