Thread: Are you still shocked if something horrible happens

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Are you still shocked if something horrible happens

I notice about myself that I'm not shocked at all. The last event that truly horrified me me was what Breivik did, that really upset me, literally felt sick and couldn't help puking, so dark. I don't get that anymore and some truly nasty things have happened, but I don't really give a shit really, I met some people who were in that plane that was shot down by whoever knows, and I don't really care. The Lion King can absolutily wreck me, much to the amusement of my friends, you can mob me up if things get sentimental. But I feel absolutily nothing anymore when I hear about the most horrifying things, not even when it's captured on a cam. I see someone who is badly hurt and will probably will soon be dead, and I just don't care. That is something that I don't like about myself, if I had any empathy whatsoever it would disgust me, and I am not a cold-hearted person, you are looking at someone who's painfully wringling in his/her own blood and organs after all, and not a fuck was given. By me at least, and that's not really how I am.

edit: needs update, the most horrible attacks happen in the Middle-East, I don't care, I read it, next. America made a mistake and almost a hundred, forgot it the second I read it, and it must have been a nightmare for those involved. Maybe I am becomming an autist, I am used to violence that was part of tne job but it never left me careless

edit, mods fix title for me please
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-26-2016 at 18:09.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Are you still shocked if something horrible happens

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I notice about myself that I'm not shocked at all. The last event that truly horrified me me was what Breivik did, that really upset me, literally felt sick and couldn't help puking, so dark. I don't get that anymore and some truly nasty things have happened, but I don't really give a shit really, I met some people who were in that plane that was shot down by whoever knows, and I don't really care. The Lion King can absolutily wreck me, much to the amusement of my friends, you can mob me up if things get sentimental. But I feel absolutily nothing anymore when I hear about the most horrifying things, not even when it's captured on a cam. I see someone who is badly hurt and will probably will soon be dead, and I just don't care. That is something that I don't like about myself, if I had any empathy whatsoever it would disgust me, and I am not a cold-hearted person, you are looking at someone who's painfully wringling in his/her own blood and organs after all, and not a fuck was given. By me at least, and that's not really how I am.

edit: needs update, the most horrible attacks happen in the Middle-East, I don't care, I read it, next. America made a mistake and almost a hundred, forgot it the second I read it, and it must have been a nightmare for those involved. Maybe I am becomming an autist, I am used to violence that was part of tne job but it never left me careless

edit, mods fix title for me please
    When another episode is reported, I still find myself angered and saddened. I must agree with you, however, that the sense of "shock" is less. It is as though a part of me is starting to view these episodes as "the cost of doing business." Of itself, this makes me a bit sadder too.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Depends a lot on whether I want to, i.e. how I think about it.

If I think about it in terms of the crushed hopes and dreams of the victims, every single one of them is infinitely sad.
    When I think about it in terms of the "big picture", well, such things happen. Actually worse things happened before we even had newspapers so people would either never hear of them or months after they happened. Did the Mayas care when the Crusaders butchered people in Jerusalem? When did the average French peasant learn about it and did he even know where Jerusalem is? And why should I care so much more today? Do the Japanese even care a lot about these things today?

If a guy in the US cares about a comparatively small suicide attack in Bavaria and a presidential candidate in the United States of America reacts to it, does that not mean that globalization has finally arrived in our minds? If a nation contains the people we consider "ours", does that not mean the entire Western hemisphere is growing into a single nation? I hope noone will explode because I just wrote that...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

There is no distance really, I don't care about the victims of that downec plane and I (cassually) knew some. I like the Germans and the French, but current tragedies do nothing to me, I'm not even angry, and not even sad. I should be but I'm not. That could be a case for terrorism just not working but I like myself being more sensitive and considerate more, how can I be so coldhearted that I can look at terrible things without caring. I must admit that I care even less if something horrible happens in Iraq or Syria, that's not healthy really, that they are also human-beings just doesn't reach me really.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

The fact that you ponder this gives credit to your character imo.

I recognize a similar tendency with myself. I'm less and less shocked by the killings themselves, and more and more concerned by the frequency at which they occur. What troubles me is the subjective deterioration of the global situation. I sometimes find myself wondering how long 'til the shit hits the fan big time. Then I'm trying to explain that away because I have a weak spot for apocalyptic scenarios.

On the other hand, it might in my case just boil down to media-induced distance. To my eye, it makes no difference if it's a movie or a news report. A run over cat by the roadside can still make me cringe.
    Apart from dead animals, I don't get to see any death or violence - I happen to live in a small peaceful town in a rural area where people value their perfect little world. Even Ansbach or Munich, which is in both cases about an hour from here, were far away and any feeling of shock that I had was gone the next day.

So, yes I might be numb but it might just be media-numbness.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Just anger.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blog Entries

These days it is the political reactions to not the events themselves that set me off.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Just anger.
    That's at least less cynical than indifference

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Unfortunately for the middle east I can't even say I pay attention anymore unless it's massive such as the recent attack in Kabul against the poor hazaras (which I've worked with and feel for) and that recent market place that was blown up in Baghdad.

I have a mixture of angry, frustration, and told you so going on for a lot of the ongoing terrorism in Europe.

For the ongoing racial tensions and shootings in the US I feel a whole bunch of anger and frustration.

Overall I guess I'm callused but still do care.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I am feeling dirty by my desensitized response.

The only benefit I see is that it makes terrorism a less viable way of making change happen if we all ignore it and go on with our lives.

I do get angry at times and would like to wholesale blame all abrahmic religions and ban them, but I quickly get past that wishful thinking.

Cowardly killing an 86 year old priest. One is left wondering is your religion worth it if that is what it takes? I don't care what make believe bulldust you wish to believe just keep me and mine out of it.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

We really start to make jokes about events now... Kind of "worst target ever in France if you plan a mass massacre: A Church". "attack a pub, 100 dead, attack a church, 1: France gets its priorities right".
    Charlie, Paris, Nice, and now a 86 years old priest, with his 2 last worshippers, IS is going down...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    We really start to make jokes about events now... Kind of "worst target ever in France if you plan a mass massacre: A Church". "attack a pub, 100 dead, attack a church, 1: France gets its priorities right".
    Charlie, Paris, Nice, and now a 86 years old priest, with his 2 last worshippers, IS is going down...
    Almost like living in a Monty Python sketch in a way

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post

I recognize a similar tendency with myself. I'm less and less shocked by the killings themselves, and more and more concerned by the frequency at which they occur.
    It is natural - when the same irritant keeps affecting you over and over again you get numb to it after a while.

What troubles me is the subjective deterioration of the global situation.
    I'm sure the same words could be ascribed to people 200 years ago, 100 years ago, 50 years ago. At every age people tend to complain about the world that is falling apart and the younger generation which is to blame in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I'm sure the same words could be ascribed to people 200 years ago, 100 years ago, 50 years ago. At every age people tend to complain about the world that is falling apart and the younger generation which is to blame in it.
    But it's true, when I was young, the world was still in order. America was a great country that won Desert Storm, then fixed Yugoslavia once and for all. Then we had 9/11, freedom and peace for Afghanistan, the final liberation of/victory in Iraq, the arab spring freedom successes and today? Today people die in Europe. Europe was traditionally a safe continent, ever since the Roman empire it hasn't been okay to kill someone here. World peace was almost achieved in Europe and now this...

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    But it's true, when I was young, the world was still in order. America was a great country that won Desert Storm, then fixed Yugoslavia once and for all. Then we had 9/11, freedom and peace for Afghanistan, the final liberation of/victory in Iraq, the arab spring freedom successes and today? Today people die in Europe. Europe was traditionally a safe continent, ever since the Roman empire it hasn't been okay to kill someone here. World peace was almost achieved in Europe and now this...
    In 30 years people will have similar nostalgia for the 2016 world when things were so great.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"then fixed Yugoslavia once and for all." Brcko? Kosovo? Bosnia?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Kidding me, Europe is the most blood-soaked continent in the world. Europe has never been safe

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Kidding me, Europe is the most blood-soaked continent in the world. Europe has never been safe

Husar's post was more about perception, not about reality. I think so, at least.

In my youth, the world was much more in order than it is now and today it's going down the drain. At least that's what I perceive. And I'm pretty sure that I share this with pretty much every human being that lived on this earth until today and achieved at least the middle age years.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Things were definitely more stable in the UK in the 1990s, with the end of the Cold War, the IRA drawing down operations, and Islamism not yet a factor. Probably the best period for the UK, stability wise, since before WWI.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends on what you define as "shocked". If you mean exaggerated wailing like some people respond with, I have never done that. If you mean surprised, then yes, some of these attacks have really surprised me in their brutality and their location.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Husar's post was more about perception, not about reality.
    That and dripping with sarcasm.
    I was born in 1985, how bad could (US-)politics look to me in the 1990s when my exposure mainly consisted of Hollywood movies, plastic toys and Janes' US Navy Fighters 97? I assume that only few people had a sophisticated understanding of politics between ages 5 and 15 and thought the world was fine because parents don't usually tell their kids about all the horrible things going on in the world and how many kids actually want to read the politics part of the newspaper?

And then there is what I said earlier, media exposure. Nowadays you get to hear about every little tragedy within five minutes on Twitter, in the 90s your local newspaper wouldn't even cover it until the next day or would never cover it because it simply lacked the space. And besides, you might have read over the small announcement somewhere in a corner because you got too worked up over the headline, which was probably about the economy or so. Before the 90s that effect was even stronger, there was a 30 years war raging in Germany, how big a deal do you think this was in China? It would have taken them 30 years to even get there (Warning: exaggeration), why would they care? Nowadays I can fly to Paris in 40 minutes for 20€ (Warning: Terms and conditions apply), so I think they're my neighbors even though I'm sure I don't want to share an EU government with these smelly frog-eaters who are completely different and have nothing in common with me.

That and dripping with sarcasm.
    I was born in 1985, how bad could (US-)politics look to me in the 1990s when my exposure mainly consisted of Hollywood movies, plastic toys and Janes' US Navy Fighters 97? I assume that only few people had a sophisticated understanding of politics between ages 5 and 15 and thought the world was fine because parents don't usually tell their kids about all the horrible things going on in the world and how many kids actually want to read the politics part of the newspaper?
    There is a joke: an old man was constantly complaining how bad the life is now and how good it was in his youth. When he was asked what made him think so he said that 50 years before women were younger.

nvm, I'm slow I just got the joke.

Probably because I'll still be in the game 50 years from now.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 07-28-2016 at 08:24.

Irony isn't really your thing hmmmm?

snip
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 07-28-2016 at 08:18.

Not since I was a child.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Member thankful for this post:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	723.5 KB 
ID:	18758  
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Member thankful for this post:

Husar