Thread: Europa Barbarorum on windows 7 64bit, crash to desktop after and during battles

Default Europa Barbarorum on windows 7 64bit, crash to desktop after and during battles

Hi guys,
    I have windows 7 64 bit installed on my PC. So one day i decided to install and play rome total war gold edition. i've played this for years now without a single ctd or problem. It runs nice & smoothly. Then when i found out about a mod called Europa Barbarorum i deciede to download and try it. I had no problems installing the mod and i applied the patch 1.2 & fixes accordingly. but after 2 or 3 battles the mod crashes to desktop. Now for months ive reseached and read threads on here about compatibility and getting the game stable but none of these methods seem to work. i tried waiting 30 secs after battle but it still ctd. i heard a theory that its got something to do with memory usage so i applied an app called explorer suite which allows access to more memory 2gig to be precise but the game still ctd. i installed the game to c:drive instead of progam files still got ctds. I heard that europa barbarorum is not compatible with windows 7 64bit so i changed the compatibility to windows xp. that did not work and i tried windows compatility with vista and that didint work either. i then read somewhere that europa barbarorum is much more demanding on pc systems than the original rome total war. so it takes up more memory to run. I think this is the case because when i first start a campaign in E.B. it does not crash so often but the more i expand territory and the longer i have played the game it crashes almost everytime. the game intro music also does not loop which is a bad sign as it should loop after it plays. I also heard rome total war on steam is much more stable than the basic CDrom version of rome total war. is this true?? I'm out of ideas for this mod. Its a fabulous & adorable game but i cant play it anymore due to continuous crashes its become intolerable. If anyone knows why im have this problem please help me as i very much miss this mod and would love to play it without ctd's for once. Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by maximus2; 08-18-2016 at 02:20.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum on windows 7 64bit, crash to desktop after and during battles

I play EB on the 64-bit version of Windows 7 as well, using the steam version of rtw. The crashes you mention are, to my understanding, inevitable. It is recommended to quit the game and restart it every 90 minutes or so in order to reduce the likelihood of those events.

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum on windows 7 64bit, crash to desktop after and during battles

Thanks for the reply i will give that a try. Does anyone know how to run EB through the orignal rome total war launcher instead of trivial scripts. I think thats the problem with windows 7 64bit users. EB has to be run through original rome launcher/shortcut instead of trivial scripts. it seems to become corrupted through running in trivial scripts. Also i think the target path needs to be edited for windows 7 64bit users. any help please on this will be much appreciated.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

I guess the definitive installation guide is the one here.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

One thing you can do is set your executables to run on administrator mode, and then have it set for compatibility with windows XP. It's what I do

Otherwise, wooly mammoth is right: reset every 90 minutes or so.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Member thankful for this post:

A long time ago i managed to launch EB from rome.exe launcher instead of trivial scripts and it solved my CTD problems. I had to reboot my pc after a while for other unrelated reasons but i forgot the method i used. If anyone can help please. I know this works because ive done it before. Just forgot the the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    One thing you can do is set your executables to run on administrator mode, and then have it set for compatibility with windows XP. It's what I do

Otherwise, wooly mammoth is right: reset every 90 minutes or so.
    I was having a lot of CTD's before, during, and after battles. Setting the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3 and running the executable as an administrator seems to have fixed those issues. Thank You for your advice.

FWIW I'm using Windows 10 and Steam Rome

Right click the exe you want to use and say send shortcut to desktop

Then right click the new shortcut on your desktop and say properties

Add this to the target line after adding a space to the end, and double check that the name of the mod folder is correct. I have not played the original eb in ages so I may be using the wrong mod folder name
    -mod:eb -show_err

I usually add -nm as well which turns off movies.