Thread: South Dakota Access Pipeline

Default South Dakota Access Pipeline

http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-rule-...ry?id=41973080

Interesting developments and attitude by the government towards the tribe. Standing Rock tribe has a right to deny corporate designs over their territory, but at the same time how would this end if they're not willing to strike a deal on infrastructure projects? From what I read the company tried to coerce them first without consulting them on the project so that should count for something in court.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: South Dakota Access Pipeline

Generally I believe that when it comes to such projects, ones like these that can potentially harm the locals (such as with fracking) it should be left to the will of the locals. I remember reading about a case somewhere in the south (maybe Texas? I dont recall) where a local municipality voted to ban fracking in their area but the state government came in and overrode their ban to allow the company to drill. That I think is wrong. When it comes to environmental issues I personally choose environment/people over profits, but it is ultimately up to the people it effects the most. If they want a fracking operation or a oil pipeline in their area, then by all means go ahead. If not, we must respect their wishes.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Generally I believe that when it comes to such projects, ones like these that can potentially harm the locals (such as with fracking) it should be left to the will of the locals. I remember reading about a case somewhere in the south (maybe Texas? I dont recall) where a local municipality voted to ban fracking in their area but the state government came in and overrode their ban to allow the company to drill. That I think is wrong. When it comes to environmental issues I personally choose environment/people over profits, but it is ultimately up to the people it effects the most. If they want a fracking operation or a oil pipeline in their area, then by all means go ahead. If not, we must respect their wishes.
    The Constitution is written around the several states being sovereign in such things. The locals can leverage their state government -- or not -- as appropriate. The rights of an Amerind tribe are different, regrettably, as we have a hodgepodge of different federal level laws covering them as they are, and are not, part of the states in which they find themselves. We didn't just conquer them properly and have done with it.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

We didn't just conquer them properly and have done with it.
    We did. Just that apartheid was the arrangement we sought and developed at every step of the way.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    We did. Just that apartheid was the arrangement we sought and developed at every step of the way.
    Which would have been fine, provided the backlands we forced the natives on had nothing of value on them.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Sought yes, we had our cultural chip on our shoulder regarding superiority, but the development was slipshod and haphazard at best. Do goodership, cultural assimilation, cultural pariah status, reservations as loosely-designed prisons, thoughtful multiculturalism all blended together in a hodge-podge that did nothing well. We took neither the Roman approach (acknowledge the government, pay taxes, keep your local customs where possible but we are in charge) nor the Mongol (enslave the children, women, and artisan, slaughter the rest) but employed bits of both haphazardly with an admixture of Missionary Christianity.

Apartheid in South Africa had, at the least, the advantage of clarity.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Personally, I think the Standing Rock Sioux Nation should sue the US government in the Hague. I suspect you'll see a change of attitude fairly quickly.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Personally, I think the Standing Rock Sioux Nation should sue the US government in the Hague. I suspect you'll see a change of attitude fairly quickly.
    Other than our routinely ignoring the Hague, you have a nice point.

Nice to see you are well Don C, hopefully those gals of yours are thriving as well.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Thank you sir. They are getting big. And a little sassy. But still sweet and still pretty like their Mama. I hope all is well with Fermanagh clan.

You make a valid point, of course. But as we look for legitimacy of International Law when dealing with the South China Sea situation, we may find our forked tongues in need of silencing.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South