Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artificial Food

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Artificial Food

Growing veggies is high-tech stuff here, the output of our glasshouses is huge. The answer to mostly replacing meat with supplements is already there, insects. They are proteine-bombs and are in fact incredibly tasty, people are just not comfortable with it yet. Nothing will ever replace a nice juicy steak or spareribs though

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post

This is the point that I'm trying to make across - fish farms offer a choice, but they will never substitute ocean fish. And consumers know that. But at the rate we're fishing the tunas (and not only - there's other species at risk) out of the ocean, we're literally going to run out in perhaps a decade. Hence why we need alternatives.

I am curious however about plant-based substitutes, whether they work in creating different "dishes". Not being a vegetarian, that's just eating plants - I'm referring specifically to protein and other nutrient extraction from plants and turning it into different types of food.

Lab-grown veggie food. Something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Growing veggies is high-tech stuff here, the output of our glasshouses is huge. The answer to mostly replacing meat with supplements is already there, insects. They are proteine-bombs and are in fact incredibly tasty, people are just not comfortable with it yet. Nothing will ever replace a nice juicy steak or spareribs though
    I'd like to know about the economic viability of aquaponics, especially for fish that can exist on a vegetable diet like tilapia. The good thing about fish is that they can also eat supplemental protein in the form of insects, which in larval form can be used to consume food waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    As noted by Frags, judging the general quality of food by cafeterias is limited. As to professor's homes, one of the downsides of American culture is that darn few of our professionals are ever taught to cook food properly unless they do so as a hobby.
    I'm not speaking about food (that is dishes ready for consumption). I'm speaking about their ingredients. The products I saw and bought at supermarkets looked and tasted artificial - at least to my (accustomed to natural) taste. And all the four months I spent in the USA I was having digestion problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I'm not speaking about food (that is dishes ready for consumption). I'm speaking about their ingredients. The products I saw and bought at supermarkets looked and tasted artificial - at least to my (accustomed to natural) taste. And all the four months I spent in the USA I was having digestion problems.
    Do you actually expect food from supermarkets to be any good? Plenty of good food availble.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

You should expect supermarkets to stock good quality food, that should't be something out of the ordinary.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Do you actually expect food from supermarkets to be any good? Plenty of good food availble.
    Where do you expect an exchange student from the collapsing USSR with a monthly allowance of 40$ to buy anything?
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 09-25-2016 at 11:18.

expats
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Where do you expect an exchange student from the collapsing USSR with a monthly allowence of 40$ to buy anything?
    40$ a month wow, that makes things kinda complicated, I don't know how you managed to live from that, I take it that the college food was free?

40$ a month wow, that makes things kinda complicated, I don't know how you managed to live from that, I take it that the college food was free?
    Accomodation and food were free, the 40$ were used at our discretion. Mostly to buy presents to our families and friends back in Ukraine. I also bought a boombox at an overseas shop in Chicago.

Accomodation and food were free, the 40$ were used at our discretion. Mostly to buy presents to our families and friends back in Ukraine. I also bought a boombox at an overseas shop in Chicago.
    Not so bad then, here you have to pay everything yourself, accomondation is incredibly expensive (we don't have campusses you will have to find a place yourself and that can easily cost 400 euro for a few square meters) Even if you have job besides the sometimes cruel amount of learning you have to do you will still build up a debt of 20.000 or so.

So as mentioned above, supermarkets should stock quality food, that should be a given.

There's another point here - making food even cheaper can help a lot of people out. Lab-grown food should technically aid in that aspect as well.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

nah small scale is the future, a real butcher, a real poultry, a real veggie

Small scale, medium scale, large scale, doesn't matter how it really works, as long as we find a way to get it working properly for us in the future when it comes to food stocks.

Proud

Been to:

Think ask and demand, going to a supermarket used to be cool, WOW they have everyting. But it isn't 1970 anymore. I live in a very touristy spot and small shops are floursishing, whatever it is, chocolate, buddha's, beers. Time to start think differently

How this ties up on topic, if you want something do it smart, make something exclusive
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-25-2016 at 19:30.

Definitely agreed there, small boutique shops are springing up all over the place, and that's a good thing because it encourages entrepreneurship.

Since you mentioned exclusive, lab-grown meat will be initially an exclusive product and then it will go into mass-market.

Proud

Been to:

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Definitely agreed there, small boutique shops are springing up all over the place, and that's a good thing because it encourages entrepreneurship.

Since you mentioned exclusive, lab-grown meat will be initially an exclusive product and then it will go into mass-market.
    Chicken used to be a rich man's meat (hens were more valued for their eggs). One of the aims of the post-war governments was to "put a chicken in every pot".

Eventually, but that is going to take at least 20 years

@edyz
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-25-2016 at 20:45.

Today's chickens could eat yesterday's chickens, if their fat legs would allow them the chase.

Supermarkets and wholesales will remain the first stop for household consumption. Boutiques and gourmet shops are luxuries, and obviously the trend under discussion is not toward expansion of luxuries in either today's or tomorrow's sense.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I wouldn't be too sure about that, buying online is getting increasngly easy

Buying online is easily accessible for people who live in big cities, not so much for those who live in small towns, villages and places that big companies have not yet entered the local market.

And there would be plenty of people who would be eager to purchase higher quality food without having to pay a lot more.

Plus, the organic growing happens mainly in farms and villages.

Proud

Been to:

Since recources are your main concern what's the problem then. In the Netherlands we absolutily have a lack of something, space. Still the third biggest producer of food in the world because of very efficient high-tech glasshouses, uses a lot of water of course but if there is anything we got enough of it's water.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, buying online is getting increasngly easy
    You think First world countries. It is otherwise elsewhere.

Not so bad then, here you have to pay everything yourself, accomondation is incredibly expensive (we don't have campusses you will have to find a place yourself and that can easily cost 400 euro for a few square meters) Even if you have job besides the sometimes cruel amount of learning you have to do you will still build up a debt of 20.000 or so.
    The exchange program was the first to happen in my city after the fall of the iron curtain, so it was rather a big political deal, that's why the money issues were taken care of by the authorities of the universities or even municipal ones, I don't know for sure.

Since recources are your main concern what's the problem then. In the Netherlands we absolutily have a lack of something, space. Still the third biggest producer of food in the world because of very efficient high-tech glasshouses, uses a lot of water of course but if there is anything we got enough of it's water.
    Holland is a very developed country, top of the ranks worldwide - but Holland is just one small little country. Eastern Europe for example, not all parts of it are developed, and in some places it definitely might be useful as a means of poverty alleviation.

Proud

Been to:

Holland is a very developed country, top of the ranks worldwide - but Holland is just one small little country. Eastern Europe for example, not all parts of it are developed, and in some places it definitely might be useful as a means of poverty alleviation.
    This yes, let's see how far they get. There is an obvious elephant in the room though, should we really do that, ethical question

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/2...eeding-bluefin

Speaking of tuna... the Japanese have turned to rearing tuna on fish farms but it's a very expensive and rather inefficient way. At least for the moment.

Proud

Been to:

It's also very expensive to eat so it's worth it I think financialy

http://www.sciencealert.com/lab-grow...-325-000-to-12

Cost of artificial meat drops down to a marginal 80.00 USD per kilogram, according to Mark Post, the guy behind the artificial burger.

Proud

Been to:

Unless you find a way to reclaim a considerable part of the Sahara and turn it into a wonderful lush oasis. Then that will work out.
    Deserts are also ecosystems with biodiversity.

The standard of living across the world is going to be shocked into submission.

As with most things, the morality comes after the fact.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast