Thread: Noob: Total War

Default Noob: Total War

Playing my first EB 2 campaign as Rome. What an incredible amount of work went into this mod. I was hoping one of you veterans could give me a little insight into how the Roman office's work. Say, how I would take my youngest family member and have him rise through the ranks to consul. Do I just park him outside a city with a couple units? I see the trait "relinquished imperium", what does that mean exactly? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Default Re: Noob: Total War

"Imperium relinquished" means he can't legally command an army. In my latest SPQR campaign I made it a strict house rule not to campaign or initiate battles (if the army was already abroad) with a general without imperium and always replaced them with the ones that were granted it.

To walk your characters through Cursus Honorum watch their traits: the path to their career opens with "Eligible for Aedilis". Have him stay in Roma for a year (4 turns, actually until after the first turn of the following year I believe). After Aedilis come Quastor, Praetor and finally Consul. Previous consuls have a chance to be granted the offices of Propraetor and Proconsul.

Pick your favourites. You don't have to let all of them walk up the ladders
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Members thankful for this post (3):

Thx Mouza appreciate the response. So what is the penalty in the game for leading an army with a general who does not have legal imperium?

I left that part out because I don't clearly remember. Most likely morale and command penalties and probably opening way for more negative traits for the character.

PS: Welcome to the ORG!
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 09-30-2016 at 19:34.

Member thankful for this post:

Thx again! Loving the mod. The history lesson's are just incredible. As Rome, I just pushed into Cisalpine Gaul after fighting off a few stacks. Wish me luck lol

One more question if I could. I'm playing as Rome on H/M. I took all of Cisalpine Gaul and found though I won the battles pretty easily the rebel cities had decent garrisons, and I was even attacked by a random enemy stack. Then Carthage declared war on me. I took a beating from their navy initially, but then took Aleria and Caliris, Lilybaum (sp?) and finally Carthage itself with little to no resistance. My question is, should I even bother to continue the campaign? Is it possible to be challenged as Rome? I'm on turn 73, and didn't think I was blitzing the AI. Would restarting on VH/M be any different? Thx again for any input.

TBH, I don't think the AI can ever pose a serious challenge for a mildly experienced human player. Watching the AI vs. AI wars in my campaigns I observe that they take a very long time to prepare and launch counter-attacks, if they ever do at all.

As for that random stack that attacked you, it wasn't random but a campaign-start standing army of that cuntry. It was hidden from you probably because it had hidden itself in some woods etc. Roaming your spies in enemy territory before sending in your army helps blow up their cover most of the time.

If you wish to follow a semi-strict historical campaign, focus on your war with Carthage and save the Gauls for later

Member thankful for this post: