Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Catalonia

Default Re: Catalonia

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    That part shows trade.
    A trade deficit of 12 billion Euros on the Spanish side, yes.

Also updated the above post since I didn't want to double post.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    A trade deficit of 12 billion Euros on the Spanish side, yes.
    Yes, and that sounds like a problem for the rest of Spain, not Catalonia.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

As Spain has benefited from Catalonia the entire time. Some of those soldiers were Catalan; those Spanish politicians would have acted with a democratic mandate in part given to them by Catalans, and some of them may have been Catalans themselves.

If there is an imbalance in contributions, you can demand reimbursement.
    You must realize this is also an argument for monetary reparations to former colonized peoples by the developed world.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Yes, and that sounds like a problem for the rest of Spain, not Catalonia.
    Why doesn't Spain want to get rid of Catalonia then?
    Not sure what you're trying to argue here.

I might as well argue that getting beaten by the Spanish police is entirely a problem of the Catalans, not the Spanish or the EU, but then again I'm not such an ass. Note that while I argued before that the intervention was justified in general, I didn't mean breaking individual peoples' noses for no reason.
    Last edited by Husar; 10-05-2017 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    You must realize this is also an argument for monetary reparations to former colonized peoples by the developed world.
    I don't quite see what you are getting at. In this context, the reimbursements would be to compensate for Spain's investments in Catalonia that it can no longer expect be able reap rewards from to the same extent due to Catalonia departing. The closest colonial parallel would the former colonies asking for reimbursement from an empire that disowned them after leeching on their resources. If you are the one asking for independence, it is meaningless to set conditions for your independence. What you could have done, would be to ask for reimbursement in order to stay in the empire and not demand independence.

Not sure what you're trying to argue here.
    That Catalonia doesn't owe anything to Spain because of the trade balance, naturally; unless Spain has privileged Catalonia somehow on the markets.
    Last edited by Viking; 10-05-2017 at 19:11.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

That Catalonia doesn't owe anything to Spain because of the trade balance, naturally; unless Spain has privileged Catalonia somehow on the markets.
    And Spain doesn't owe Catalonia independence.

I don't quite see what you are getting at. In this context, the reimbursements would be to compensate for Spain's investments in Catalonia that it can no longer expect be able reap rewards from to the same extent due to Catalonia departing. The closest colonial parallel would the former colonies asking for reimbursement from an empire that disowned them after leeching on their resources. If you are the one asking for independence, it is meaningless to set conditions for your independence. What you could have done, would be to ask for reimbursement in order to stay in the empire and not demand independence.
    Why does independence in itself clear that "balance"?
    Vitiate Man.

And Spain doesn't owe Catalonia independence.
    Like Catalonia doesn't owe Spain remaining a part of the country, I'd think.

Why does independence in itself clear that "balance"?
    It doesn't.

This is about the agent wanting change giving what they owe so that they can claim that they do not owe the other party anything any more and can go ahead with the change in good conscience.

If you are the one being owed, then you are on the other side of the equation and the situation is reversed. To declare independence in good conscience, you don't need to give anything; it's the other side that needs to pay up before they can go ahead with a change that you do not want.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Like Catalonia doesn't owe Spain not declaring independence, I'd think.
    So it's a question of power. As always?

If you are the one being owed, then you are on the other side of the equation and the situation is reversed.
    This implies that there is a way to account for "what is owed", in which case it can be applied to any international relationship.

And "other side" implies that the parties have already been determined, but this is one of the things still under dispute.
    Vitiate Man.

So it's a question of power. As always?
    I'd think so. Power, and its application or absence thereof.

This implies that there is a way to account for "what is owed", in which case it can be applied to any international relationship.
    That's ultimately a matter of definition. The main point is that if it is considered that Catalonia owes something to the rest of Spain, it could give that to the rest of Spain, if possible (and if it is not possible for Catalonia to give what it is considered owing, then you can argue that it is not fair to have this impossible repayment as a precondition for Catalonia's independence).

Ultimately, the core of this argument is about what could be done in terms of repayment, not what should be done. It doesn't lead to the conclusion that former colonial powers should pay their former colonies; it's about Catalonia clearing its name, so to speak.

And "other side" implies that the parties have already been determined, but this is one of the things still under dispute.
    Not sure what you are thinking of here.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

That's ultimately a matter of definition. The main point is that if it is considered that Catalonia owes something to the rest of Spain, it could give that to the rest of Spain, if possible (and if it is not possible for Catalonia to give what it is considered owing, then you can argue that it is not fair to have this impossible repayment as a precondition for Catalonia's independence).

Ultimately, the core of this argument is about what could be done in terms of repayment, not what should be done. It doesn't lead to the conclusion that former colonial powers should pay their former colonies; it's about Catalonia clearing its name, so to speak.
    If it's a matter of "could", not "should", then isn't it irrelevant to the matter?

Not sure what you are thinking of here.
    Putting cart before horse, taking Catalonian agency for granted in musing a transaction between partners.
    Vitiate Man.

If it's a matter of "could", not "should", then isn't it irrelevant to the matter?
    Husar's argument seemed to be that Catalonia cannot declare independence unilaterally because it owes Spain so much. If this is your objection, you could just require that Catalonia should repay what it owes at some point, as far as it able to (and if Spain would not accept this repayment out of principle because it does not recognise Catalonia's independence, then that would be Spain's issue).

Putting cart before horse, taking Catalonian agency for granted in musing a transaction between partners.
    Again I am afraid I am a bit confused. Are you questioning the concept of 'Catalan agency' in a different manner than you would question e.g. the concept of 'Spanish agency'?
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Husar's argument seemed to be that Catalonia cannot declare independence unilaterally because it owes Spain so much. If this is your objection, you could just require that Catalonia should repay what it owes at some point, as far as it able to (and if Spain would not accept this repayment out of principle because it does not recognise Catalonia's independence, then that would be Spain's issue).
    I thought he was disputing that contemporary negative net revenue outlays between Catalonia and the rest of Spain justified Catalonian separatism.

Again I am afraid I am a bit confused. Are you questioning the concept of 'Catalan agency' in a different manner than you would question e.g. the concept of 'Spanish agency'?
    Just that you need equal partners to make that kind of settlement. Let's abstractly say that a unilateral offer to sweeten the separation of parties isn't valid if a potential party rejects the existence or legitimacy of such a negotiation.
    Vitiate Man.

I thought he was disputing that contemporary negative net revenue outlays between Catalonia and the rest of Spain justified Catalonian separatism.
    Yes, he was, because that is one reason cited by the Catalans.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

As Spain has benefited from Catalonia the entire time. Some of those soldiers were Catalan....
    Indeed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catalans.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	19905

Tough javelin infantry
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Does it all matter, Spain profitted yes, always has. But economy stopped being important when Madrid decided to go all berserk on Catalonians. Madrid's only option is more violence and that will only make things worse for Madrid. They are idiots and have a big problem, unlike Catalonia the rest of Spain isn't self-sufficient. Eurocrats also have - problem, yet another, champagne on that! Another axe-cut in the tree, pieces in our time
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-06-2017 at 07:33.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A large area voted overwhelmingly to leave. They should be allowed to leave. I imagine that Sudan did not constitutionally have the ability to let South Sudan leave, and yet they did. South Sudan is also in a much worse financial position yet they'd rather freedom. Their choice.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    A large area voted overwhelmingly to leave. They should be allowed to leave. I imagine that Sudan did not constitutionally have the ability to let South Sudan leave, and yet they did. South Sudan is also in a much worse financial position yet they'd rather freedom. Their choice.

It's then up to the Catalans to make their independence real. If they can't, there's no should. Self determination consists of two components.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    It's then up to the Catalans to make their independence real. If they can't, there's no should. Self determination consists of two components.
    Sure. But then the rest of Spain should not be undermining them by sending in troops and making threats.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Sure. But then the rest of Spain should not be undermining them by sending in troops and making threats.

Sure, but then they shouldn't be undermining Spain by seceding.

Were they all the richest region in the country before they gained independence?
    Slovenia was. I believe Croatia came next in its economic development.

When did they gain independence and from whom?
    Do I have to lecture you on history? Google it.

I'd say a region that is at the bottom end of the country it is in has better chances for improvement than one that is already at the top.
    First of all, this is an arbitrary statement that needs statistical substantiation.

Second of all, since they were different in their development and now they are (more or less) prosperous countries, the starting point doesn't seem to matter.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 10-06-2017 at 13:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Blog Entries

Sure, but then they shouldn't be undermining Spain by seceding.
    So... they are free to choose what they want as long as they choose to preserve the stats quo.

If their independence has any substance, they should be able to resist or sidestep any such moves. They opted not to sidestep by unilaterally declaring independence without outside or Spanish support. If they can't then resist Spanish action, what practical worth is their declared independence?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Slovenia was. I believe Croatia came next in its economic development.

Do I have to lecture you on history? Google it.

First of all, this is an arbitrary statement that needs statistical substantiation.

Second of all, since they were different in their development and now they are (more or less) prosperous countries, the starting point doesn't seem to matter.
    So... they are free to choose what they want as long as they choose to preserve the stats quo.

You're right, if they secede the world will be a better place.

You're right, if they secede the world will be a better place.
    And if they don't it wouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    They opted not to sidestep by unilaterally declaring independence without outside or Spanish support.
    Unilaterally, but not unanimously. This might matter if it comes to popular resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Unilaterally, but not unanimously. This might matter if it comes to popular resistance.
    Nothing is ever unanimous. But it's in their own hands, rather than blaming others like rory likes to do (ie. blaming the Spanish for intervening whilst blaming the EU for not intervening).

I was trying to secede from this thread because looking for your statistics prevents me from getting actually important work done.
    Can't you just let me go? All I want is some self-determination regarding my being part of this thread...
    Last edited by Husar; 10-06-2017 at 16:02.

Just that you need equal partners to make that kind of settlement. Let's abstractly say that a unilateral offer to sweeten the separation of parties isn't valid if a potential party rejects the existence or legitimacy of such a negotiation.
    Spain could formally interpret the offer as coming from an autonomous region rather than an independent country.

At any rate, the point was not to argue that a reimbursement was a probable outcome. The context was the 'fairness' of Catalonia seceding, not what Catalonia could do to get Spain to recognise its independence.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Offer without either side losing face should be easy to make. Staying part of the kingdom as a seperate nation?
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-06-2017 at 18:01.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

We know what will happened. Happened before. Pretty villages burn nicely...
    https://youtu.be/QqCmFRvO8fQ

https://youtu.be/2_dYaAtHwws
    Last edited by Brenus; 10-06-2017 at 22:59.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast