Thread: Medieval 3?

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Medieval 3?

"Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title
    Pre-production for our next historical major release continues apace, with the team working on pretty much all areas of the game at this stage, but particularly jaw-dropping are the character and campaign map concepts that are starting to crop up around the studio with increasing frequency.

It will still be some time before we are able to share anything specific about our next big historical game. The official social media channels, and the world’s press will certainly tell you when there’s more to reveal."
    from Sept 1st

Two things they can be doing: Empire 2 or Medieval 3. Shogun 2 is too new, Napoleon is too narrow in scope. They won't make China or ancient civilizations because IMO the market is too narrow - the general public has low knowledge of these areas and time periods compared to their percieved knowledge of classical antiquity and Europe during the Middle Ages.

Has anyone palyed the Charlemagne DLC for Attila? How close was that to the Medeival/Medieval II concept?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval 3?

Still too much in love with the first, gave up on the series aftewards. It was hopelessly underdeveloped when it came out but the strategic part is pretty good now thanks to modders.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I played Charlemagne DLC for Attila, it's relatively close to the Medieval concept - and you even have a Medieval 1212 mod for Attila but without a campaign. It's a tough campaign, especially for Charlemagne, but it does offer a fresh perspective on the medieval side of Total War.

However... Medieval 3 TW will not be the NEXT historical TW game. They've done M2TW already, Empire definitely needs a revamp and it's either Empire or something around that time period.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

They could expand Medieval to also cover the Renaissance.
    I'm certainly waiting for a new Medieval and did buy Attila mostly for the Charlemagne DLC.
    It is nice, but I don't like the low number of factions with few and similar units that they often seem to have in these smaller campaign expansions. I'm also not sure whether I like the unrest mechanics which turn the game into a game of whack-a-mole at times.
    Certainly in my Charlemagne campaign where you get raided and conquered from round one, on the Spanish peninsula things seemed more quiet.
    Not being allowed to have garrison armies without a general that can do more than cower in a city also seems like a loss in that regard since rebels can gather outside your walls until they are strong enough to overpower the garrison. Whether that adds to realism or makes sense I'm not so sure.

Either way, I'm all for a Medieval 3, hopefully with less whack-a-mole and more life-sized catapults.
    Last edited by Husar; 10-19-2016 at 12:37.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Well...

Name:  fxxx0w.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  188.6 KB
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 10-19-2016 at 12:45.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Members thankful for this post (2):

HusarMonk 

Yes, shiny steel breastplates are also missing from Charlemagne!
    Not to forget half-plate and full-plate, gothic armor etc.!

Watching a bunch of tin-men on tin-clad horses charge into a bunch of tin-men with swords and shields or pikes, it's just different from watching the same happen when they just wear leather or chain mail but without glorious heraldry painted all over.
    Half of the excitement of The Witcher 3 is wearing armor with breastplates for me, just can't help it, so shiny.

Well the mod out your M2TW to have only the last 50 years and make it 4 TPY, and voila. Shiny battles.

Proud

Been to:

Haha, I found it unbearable for a number of reasons once I got a widescreen monitor.
    It's not that I can't sometimes get used to older graphics, but some games age well and others...not so much...
    Now I have an even more widescreen monitor and my graphical snobbery has not exactly been lowered by games like The Witcher 3 or even Attila. Besides, I'm still hoping that they may one day actually introduce new concepts such as testudos where pikemen and musketeers work together in one formation, though realistically that is probably completely in vein...
    Ideally I'm dreaming of a system where multiple unit combinations in one formation would be possible (or even some system that takes into account that knights come with retainers where you don't just get a unit of knights by itself etc.) to give the combat a lot more depth, but yeah...
    I mean, I'll settle for just not having warped old graphics because I'll have to most likely.

To be fair, M2TW, in my opinion, still has good graphics. It aged relatively well. Keep in mind it's 10 years old!

And plus, it's a really fun game - and for 2006, the graphics were top notch!

Proud

Been to:

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    To be fair, M2TW, in my opinion, still has good graphics. It aged relatively well. Keep in mind it's 10 years old!

And plus, it's a really fun game - and for 2006, the graphics were top notch!
    To add onto this, my impression is that M2 mods like EB2 & Call of Warhammer actually look a lot better than the modern Rome 2 and WH:TW. Videogame graphics should always leave a little bit of room for imagination to fill the big picture. Strive to make it too realistic and it just finishes looking goofy and fake.

Definitely M3. It's been almost a decade, knights are more popular than regular infantry and god bless Brettonia and Charlemagne for some already done models. Won't be published before 2018 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    To add onto this, my impression is that M2 mods like EB2 & Call of Warhammer actually look a lot better than the modern Rome 2 and WH:TW. Videogame graphics should always leave a little bit of room for imagination to fill the big picture. Strive to make it too realistic and it just finishes looking goofy and fake.
    I agree, even in the environment department. Maybe I am weird, but I always found the soldiers in Rome and Attila, especially their faces very plastic and horrible. Definitely a step back from Nap.

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

I tried to get into Medieval 2 again a few years back and felt like reality was beginning to destroy all my good memories...
    Even Attila has shabby ground textures in 4k (runs at around 20-30 fps, but playable) and I don't think one can set the grass to display up to the horizon.
    Then you have the huge, clunky interface that takes up half the screen in 1200p and is terribly stretched. The game was made for 5:4 or 4:3 monitors, not 16:10 or 16:9. Could play it with black borders on the sides, but that's just sad.

And even if I could get around the technical challenges for the admittedly elitist taste buds in my eyes, there'd still be the IMO outdated formation mechanics that they have never, ever changed so far. I'd still hate those about Medieval 3, but at least it would look good.

I really think it will be Med 3, using teh RII engine. It kind of works for spearmen, swordsmen and heavy cav. It will be a horrible engine for pike blocks and musketmen where formations are key. Empire in essence should be Europa Universalis IV with lead battles vs the famous genius CA combat Ai. Why would they pit their product against a game that will murder it no matter what they do?

Warscape is due for change, it's more or less nearing 9 years given that Empire was announced in 2008.

M3 is not the next one, not until they redo Empire again. They really want to redo Empire again because of the amount of criticism the game got.

Proud

Been to:

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Warscape is due for change, it's more or less nearing 9 years given that Empire was announced in 2008.
    And, in retrospect, it probably would have been better for the series if they had stuck to the original RTW & M2 engine and simply enhanced it instead of ditching for something that never really worked properly, except maybe in Shogun 2.

M3 is not the next one, not until they redo Empire again. They really want to redo Empire again because of the amount of criticism the game got.
    By that logic they should redo Rome II again because it literally destroyed their fanbase.

Destroyed my interest with the first Rome, everything went too fast. I loved the slow pace of battles in MTW, still do.

Yet here we are, 15 years later, still talking TW games

heh I played most, but I always come back to MTW

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    By that logic they should redo Rome II again because it literally destroyed their fanbase.
    Rome 3 will be definitely considered in about 10 years or so. Medieval is by far their most popular time period, followed by Rome. So it's pretty much a given that they will want to release further versions.

Proud

Been to: