Thread: Duolingo

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Duolingo

...or pretty much a thread about learning new skills.

www.duolingo.com

Signed up for Duolingo a couple of weeks ago to learn new languages. I technically know 3 languages, but I've actually studied around 6 + 1 new language as of now. Forgot the other 3, and now I'm trying to pick back up on them using Duolingo. A really fun app, and as of now, I'm really brushing up on a new language for me which is quite spectacular. Still a below beginner level, but I'm slowly slowly learning, and in a new and engaging way, which makes me quite eager to do my 10-20 minute lesson each day, sometimes even longer than that depending on my eagerness.

Duolingo offers a host of languages, and is pretty much used by over 100 million people to learn new languages, which is... huge.

There's also alternatives like Babbel, but those have to be purchased first.

Thoughts? Anyone learning new languages/skills?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Default Re: Duolingo

I used Duolingo for a while to (re)learn French. It was pretty handy, but I stopped a few months ago when I was busy with other things. Haven't started again yet due to general lazyness.

One of the things that I really like about it is that it's really engaging, it doesn't bore you or makes you uninterested. It keeps it interesting and fresh.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a fan of Duolingo, but I wish it had a little bit more of an emphasis on grammar and verb conjugation. I'm learning Italian (from scratch) on it now and while I'm picking some of the conjugations up, I feel like it would be a lot more useful if that was one of the opening few lessons.

Not the sexiest of lessons, I know, but one that's pretty useful.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Ive been meaning to learn German, never got around to it. My brother actually got pretty far in it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I need to relearn English, darn it.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Ive been meaning to learn German, never got around to it. My brother actually got pretty far in it.
    pretty hard, reading not so much but actually writing it is a nightmare

German is really very simple, no problem for me.

As for Duolingo, used it a while ago to help me learn Spanish but have used it very rarely in the last one and a half years or so. Just didn't find the time/will to pick it up again, although I might now that I don't have the time to take further Spanish at the uni.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Well you kinda had a headstart. But I am pretty bad at all major languages, I don't mind making mistakes in casual use but if I don't want to make any mistakes I really have to try really hard. And that doesn't work either.

There's also a pretty cute game called Learn Japanese to Survive - Hiragana Battle - it's on Steam, and it teaches you the basic Hiragana alphabet within an RPG game. Katakana will follow in February 2017.

http://study-japanese.net/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/438270/

Proud

Been to:

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tend to favour memrise.com for my learning. It's mnemonics based and it allows user created content, so there are more options.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Did anyone try the other ones, like Babbel?

I'm gonna look into memrise.

Proud

Been to:

I'll have to give this a try.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

For those of you who have LinkedIn, they decided to offer one full week of all the courses on LinkedIn Learning for free, ranging on a huge variety of topics that will help in your business career.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/

Proud

Been to: