Thread: TW games - the future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default TW games - the future

Look into the crystal Total War ball of epic games - what will the future hold, my dears?

Frankenstein aside (), Total War is at a little crossroad, at least, with regards to its future. The new Total War historical is due in about 6-9 with an announcement, so expect it somewhere in 2018, around a year or so at the very least until an alpha or beta comes out. They're hard at work over it, that's pretty clear, but the question is what kind of a timeframe will it be.

And this is not necessarily about the next TW game - but what will happen after this historical title. If the next title comes along, by the time it will be released in 2018, with the development coming full circle a year or so later, Total War will celebrate 20 years of existence. 20 years. That's a very long time in the gaming industry. With Shogun released back in 1999/2000, and with Medieval following suit in 2002, Total War has been around for a considerable period of time.

For the most part, TW has remained the same TBS we know and love for the past 20 almost years. And it's worked wonders every time. Rome 2 and Warhammer have shattered sales records. In fact, almost every Total War game has shattered sales records when it came out - particularly Rome, Empire and Rome 2.

So gentlemen, take your best guesses - where is TW headed in the future? A different timeframe? A different gameplay? A Total Overhaul?
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 10-24-2016 at 13:09.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: TW games - the future

Part of me thinks that they are going to do Empire 2, but Empire had the current engine if I recall correctly so Im not sure what the point would be. I would love them to do a Medieval 3 but I recall them saying that there would be no third titles in a series so thats a bummer. So basically, I have no idea. Perhaps they might do a late medieval/early Renaissance game?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

No more "revolution-evolution", then?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Empire 2 technically is the evolution - Empire was the initial revolution. Same with Rome 2 as well. The original was the revolution, the sequel was a revolution-evolution.

And probably Empire 2 or something Victorian is next.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

There's no way to know what's next.

'revolution-evolution' referred to the current development stage of the game engine and game release schedule. The engine was initially released as a game and then re-released again as another game with some improvements. This happened with STW -> MTW and RTW -> M2TW, etc, etc...

As well as this there were always expansions and later "downloadable content" once the games moved to the steam platform.

Aside from fantasy settings, there are only so many historical time frames which will work and which will appeal to the main target audience - i.e. kids in North America and Europe.

Without a complete redesign, essentially meaning the game is no longer "total war" in the true sense, more modern settings won't be feasible.

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Without a complete redesign, essentially meaning the game is no longer "total war" in the true sense, more modern settings won't be feasible.
    My sentiments, exactly! My belief is that CA got into fantasy because feudal Japan has been done twice...Medieval Europe twice...and the Roman Empire twice. Going further back in time (the warlord era of China, or the rise of Greece, for example) probably doesn't have enough mass appeal like fantasy. That doesn't leave much to do except move forward in time, and that would require a completely new game engine at the very least
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 10-26-2016 at 00:52.
    High Plains Drifter