Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hack Attempt on .Org

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Hack Attempt on .Org

Hello all,

It seems that someone got access to our webserver via some legacy software hosted on totalwar.org. This has now been locked down, and many features and functionality from the old sections of the Org are no longer accessible.

The hacker attempted to hijack and control a admin account (failed), and tried to deface sections of the site. Any alterations have been reversed and secured against.

Whilst passwords on the Org are encrypted, they may have been exposed during this time, and it is highly recommended that you change your passwords to ensure your accounts are not compromised. Similarly, if you use the same email address/username and password on other websites. Whilst this may just be a precaution as there is no way to tell, I would recommend following this advice.

We're still investigating the extent of the breach, and some functionality on the site which people may be using is disabled to ensure this cannot occur again

In the meantime, we recommend that everyone changes their passwords ASAP.

Best wishes,
    Beskar
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-27-2016 at 17:12.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (4):

Default Re: Hack Attempt on .Org

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    This has now been locked down, and many features and functionality from the old sections of the Org are no longer accessible.
    What exactly is gone now?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Roma5 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    What exactly is gone now?
    Some old random pieces of dusty equipment that should have been thrown out years ago, but kept around long past its usefulness. Something no one would probably ever use, except for that one random person.But it was the reason for the breach/attempt. In short, I don't know, and @therother is the person to ask.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Roma5 

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Mostly, I've deactivated a whole bunch of file uploaders from back circa 2002-2004. The hack attempt was via these old php scripts.

I've also deactivated a number of unused sites like our Legend of the Green Dragon install. I could reactivate these if there's interest.

There was an attempt to break into a dummy forum account but this was unsuccessful.
    Last edited by therother; 10-27-2016 at 19:38.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Members thankful for this post (3):

Makes you wonder what somebody could hope to gain by hacking .org, other than just to be malicious.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Roma5 

Quote Originally Posted by therother View Post
    The hack attempt was via these old php scripts.
    Most likely old, buggy (or just poor) PHP code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_i...nerability#PHP

Roma5 

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Butler View Post
    Makes you wonder what somebody could hope to gain by hacking .org, other than just to be malicious.
    Your answer is in the first post:

Whilst passwords on the Org are encrypted, they may have been exposed during this time, and it is highly recommended that you change your passwords to ensure your accounts are not compromised. Similarly, if you use the same email address/username and password on other websites.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Roma5 

Well, yeah, but simply having an email address and password to a forum that contains little to no personal information is kind of worthless. Even if those passwords are the same as for other websites, how would he know which websites to use them on, unless trying them randomly on stuff like social media sites?

If somebody does use my email address to do something, I guess that could be a problem, I could be getting all sorts of stuff from creditors and such when I have no clue what is going on. That address is associated with me, so I could get into trouble, I guess.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

So I've changed my password, but I didn't see anywhere what the password requirements/limitations are. What kinds of characters can/must be used and what's the min/max password length?
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

vBulletin does not have options to restrict password choice. So there are no board-enforced requirements or limitations.

In general, I'd recommend passwords with 9 or more characters including upper and lower case, numbers and symbols that either don't contain dictionary words or have more than 2 unusual words with uncommon misspellings/substitutions/insertions/deletions.

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Xiahou 

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

According to KeePass, my new password has 127 bits of entropy and I no longer even know what it is. Hopefully that's secure enough.
    Honestly, I was slightly surprised to be allowed as many characters of as many different types as I used- so kudos to vBulletin, I guess.

Related to that, I heartily recommend KeePass to anyone who needs to store complex passwords for multiple sites (isn't that everyone?). It also has a nice plugin for TOTP, so I can use it has a backup for my Google Authenticator 2-factor authentication.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 11-10-2016 at 14:18.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

HAHAHAHA YOU FOOLS! I HAVE NOW GAINED ACCESS TO THIS MODERATOR ACCOUNT! WITNESS THE DESTRUCTION I SHALL WIELD VIA THE GOLDIKE POWERS GRANTED TO FORUM MODERATORS ON THIS SITE!
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Members thankful for this post (2):

I used to use KeePass with Dropbox. It's a great piece of software but lacks the web and mobile integration of LastPass, which is what I now use.

And yeah, having different, essentially uncrackable passwords for every site is by far the most secure thing to do.

KeePass has an auto-insert functionality that can even be customized by adding the relevant commands to the list of auto type commands for any given entry. By now I find that quite useful, even for simple website logins. I tried Enpass, but the browser plugin of that one requires you to also start and unlock the app/program, at which point I found KeePass to actually be quite a bit faster.

Haven't tried LastPass, mainly because I got so used to KeePass that a monthly subscription seems unnecessary at this point.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by therother View Post
    And yeah, having different, essentially uncrackable passwords for every site is by far the most secure thing to do.
    So secure, you won't be able to access it yourself.

Yeah, I now have a secret hard copy location incase something ever happened, and I need the password for my main accounts. Downside is, if someone ever found that, they could access my account. So how secure is it really?

Honestly, I like Microsofts pin solution. The main account t having a very secure password, but where you set it up at home, you can use a pin.

I don't think having a hard copy is a bad idea unless you are so important in reality that people would break into your home and specifically look for your passwords. But in that case I'd also advise to have bodyguards, someone could kidnap you to get your master password. And then you could let a bodyguard guard the hard copy.

I'd personally rather invest the money in a decent virus and spyware protection though.

Colonel In Chief Member PROVOST's Avatar

Thankfully the babe thread was not affected.
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    HAHAHAHA YOU FOOLS! I HAVE NOW GAINED ACCESS TO THIS MODERATOR ACCOUNT! WITNESS THE DESTRUCTION I SHALL WIELD VIA THE GOLDIKE POWERS GRANTED TO FORUM MODERATORS ON THIS SITE!
    Since you have managed to hack into org, can you please make and old orgah happy by promoting me to a seniour member so that I can finally access the fabled "special" forum?

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

double post - still shows you how serious I am.

Blog Entries

There is no senior member forum.

There is a moderator forum, where we basically tell eachother when we are afk, and sometimes randomly talk about boring site stuff.
    Technically the infraction/warning/reporting section is a 'forum', but that is the system posting messages to it, rather than active discussion areas.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

There is a moderator forum, where we basically tell eachother when we are afk, and sometimes randomly talk about boring site stuff.
    Technically the infraction/warning/reporting section is a 'forum', but that is the system posting messages to it, rather than active discussion areas.
    Beskar, you broke the moderator forum rule. One must not speak of the moderator forums in public...

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Blog Entries

Oh, I thought that was the secret Admin forum that I post to myself in. I got a topic in there going "Who is the best Admin?" with the vote options being "Beskar" with one vote, and the rest having zero.

You have exposed the moderator forums, Beskar. We must now remove you from position.

*initiating process of removal*

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Oh, I thought that was the secret Admin forum that I post to myself in. I got a topic in there going "Who is the best Admin?" with the vote options being "Beskar" with one vote, and the rest having zero.
    Is there any way the rest of us can vote for you in that forum?

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I approve of this bit of deception.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Beskar 

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

As the first Senior Member in this thread (all though technically those in redpinkandgreen also are seniors) I can confirm that there are no special Senior Member forum on the .org where we keep the pr0n stash and secret locker room discussions.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    [...] locker room discussions.
    Indeed, there is absolutely no golden Trump-forum.

Probably a nutter who thinks anyone with an apolitical interest in war subscribes to fascism or some other extreme ideology. Whenever people find out I'm a Germanophile and have an extensive interest in the Eastern Front of WWII, I get THAT look,

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Beskar, you broke the moderator forum rule. One must not speak of the moderator forums in public...

I'm pretty sure that every forum has this.
    Wooooo!!!

Indeed. Every forums have moderator forums, but I was just making a bit of lighthearted fun of Beskar.

Proud

Been to:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast