Thread: Envying a Friend on Facebook

Default Envying a Friend on Facebook

When I look at this photo of my friend with his new girlfriend:

[picture deleted]

I think about what am I doing in the city that I live in. It's very unlike the place in that photo. I'm not going to say which city I live in just in case I offend anyone in this forum. In the city that I live in, the weather is usually terrible, most of the people are fake, people are unhappy, unfriendly, and shallow in general, etc. Then I look at my friend's photos and I start to wonder why I don't have the kind of life that he is having. I thought my good days were over. On the other hand, my friend who went to the same school with me is living the life as if he is twenty. I've been living in the wrong city for too long.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 11-11-2016 at 21:59.
    Wooooo!!!

Default Re: Envying a Friend on Facebook

That's a solid tan for a Swede!

Definitely professional-grade photowork there.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    most of the people are fake
    Judging by that single photo, I find your friend as the epitomy of fakeness and insecurity.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

So he has a hot girlfriend?

How do you think she felt about some other guy taking a photo of her arse (no matter how nice) and her boyfriend posting it on Facebook?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Members thankful for this post (2):

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Delete this picture and quit worrying about other people.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

In my opinion it's pointless to compare yourself with others in terms of either (apparent) happiness or money. There's always someone better than you in those regards (and worse off, for that matter). It's also entirely posssible that your facebook friend has his own problems, different from yours, that you're simply not aware of because most people only post stuff that reflects well on them.

My advice would be to think about what would work for you, personally. If you've lived in your current city long enough to know you don't like it and not going to either, maybe it's time to consider moving. Or look to meet new, different people.

Member thankful for this post:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Something I read once was that people really are only putting on places like Facebook the highlights of their lives. You arent seeing the low points. Its something I struggle with too as I have a lot of very successful friends who are always posting about new jobs and amazing lives which they get to travel a lot and stuff. And dont get me wrong, my life is pretty cool at times but I have those thoughts too about what things could be like if I did something different. Just try to put it out of your mind and concentrate on your own life and making sure you are happy. Focusing on others will bring you down.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This is inspirational, I don't see how you can "envy" such things.

Find some and hulksmash. Nice ass, good trophy ho pic. Makes one person in the pic look dignified.

PS - delete this thread and please don't be salty.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 11-09-2016 at 01:39.

I stopped using Facebook altogether because it causes me too much anxiety. It's a pretty poor excuse for socializing anyway, I'm better off without it.

Xiahou 

Wrong thread
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    In the city that I live in, the weather is usually terrible, most of the people are fake, people are unhappy, unfriendly, and shallow in general, etc.
    You sound like my father-in-law who gets this mood once in a while stating that life is better anywhere except where he lives. There is a Ukrainian proverb which can be translated as "life is good where we aren't."
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Think about whether you really want that life.

And that girl.

Do you want to be a terrible person flying CO2 emitting planes around the world to swim in an ocean full of plastic and do you want to become a vegan or a shallow playboy for the girl or do you prefer to stay as awesome as you are?
    Only ignorants have bliss!!!!!11111

There may be a certain hyperbole, guesswork, sarcasm, stereotyping, racism and other stuff in this post, but you probably get the bing bing bong bong of it if there is one.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    You sound like my father-in-law who gets this mood once in a while stating that life is better anywhere except where he lives. There is a Ukrainian proverb which can be translated as "life is good where we aren't."
    "the grass is greener on the other side (of the fence/wall/etc)" is the proverb here.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

People post these kinds of pictures because they are insecure of their values and priorities that they compensate through aggressively signalling other people that "they are living the life".

No different than the book snobs that brag about reading all of faulkner over the summer.

Why is this picture still up? This is a public forum and that is a private photo. Simply because you can save it does not mean it is not stealing.

That girl is a 7 at best. You could walk down to a coffee shop right now and score a date with someone who looks like her. I fail to see what there is to envy about the man. His narrow shoulders and wide hips indicate low levels of testosterone.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

That girl is a 7 at best. You could walk down to a coffee shop right now and score a date with someone who looks like her. I fail to see what there is to envy about the man. His narrow shoulders and wide hips indicate low levels of testosterone.
    This probably isn't the best way to relate to the guy here.
    Vitiate Man.

Ahahahahahahahahaha. I like how you tied the thing I said in the other thread into this one. I do enjoy humor

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Why is this picture still up? This is a public forum and that is a private photo. Simply because you can save it does not mean it is not stealing.

The body hair mitigates against that assessment of him.

However, both seem to be enjoying the blush of youth more than the results of resistance training.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quick question, do people actually want me to take down the photo?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Process or filter it into a line sketch?
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Quick question, do people actually want me to take down the photo?
    Yes

Yeah, it is a bit weird to post this.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Some here need to get laid. You see a stubby legged gal with buck teeth and a big nose, squinted eyes (could be as we can't see her face) and a nice rear - and immediately your instinct is : I want this. The ape in us overpowers reason. Get down boy, get down.
    Status Emeritus

There are some layers of hypocrisy perhaps, in these attempts to persuade the OP by deriding the bodies we see in the photo.

That's not the damn point, or at least not the point you want to make.
    Vitiate Man.

That moment when you realize you're too young for this forum. Relax, I was just trying to lighten the mood. Nice ass end of story. Lighten up.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 11-11-2016 at 08:29.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
    That moment when you realize you're too young for this forum. Relax, I was just trying to lighten the mood. Nice ass end of story. Lighten up.
    I was probably too old when you were born.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken