Thread: MacBook Pro

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default MacBook Pro

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/thom..._12894856.html

no matter what you think the specs say, the fact is the software and hardware are so well integrated it tears strips off “superior spec’d” Windows counterparts in the real world. This has always been true of Macs.
    Turns out the new MacBook Pro is a real gem, particularly when it comes to integration and working with it. One specific issue the review touched upon is the issue of touch pad sliders - and they look pretty elegant at least visually.

The first revelation for me was the potential of sliders. Gradual, precise and fast inputs.
    For years we’ve had single mouse inputs on a graphical user interface. Over time we’ve added more buttons and scroll wheels, trackpads with gestures. The Touch Bar takes this step further by allowing multiple inputs at the same time and combines well with the trackpad.
    So place your orders dear Sirs and Ladies, apparently the new MacBook Pro is a real smooth machine.

Thoughts?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MacBook Pro

It is Apple.
    It is going to be heavily overpriced for what it actually is.
    Nothing out of the Apple ecosphere is going to work on it unless you install Windows 10 upon it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Well that might be true for those who prefer Windows, but I did consider the old MacBook Pros (2004-2008/9 versions) to be some wonderful workbooks.

Bonus points for that keyboard, it was so good.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Apple definitely makes pretty slick laptops- but I don't think they're ever worth the premium that they charge.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Which is why I'm definitely looking to purchase an 2008 MacBook Pro for a very good price.

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

Xiahou 

One of my biggest issue with Apple is that they make almost everything else incompatible or a hassle to use, so they try to get you to buy everything from Apple. I used to have an iPhone, but I stopped thinking that I need or even want to spend 800€ or more on a new phone every two years. Using that thing with iTunes on Windows was terrible for two reasons:

1. iTunes on Windows is sluggish, way more so than it would have to be given what it does. Of course it runs smooth on their machines because, well, they want to make you buy everything from them as I said.

2. If I just wanted to sync a small file that was not a readily accessible photo (the photo storage is available as a USB drive, I had to synchronize EVERYTHING. This often meant it would make a backup (and often hang up during that), then synchronize a ton of upgraded apps and more. So just throwing that file onto my phone before going to the uni could be impossible as it would require literally 30-45 Minutes to synchronize (maybe not if you religiously do it every day or week)...

It just seems like they want you to completely buy into their ecosystem, so if I can't pick and choose, I'll stay out of it entirely. Not to forget that the system is pretty useless as a gaming system, you can't just upgrade the GPU after two years AFAIK and so on.

If someone loves to buy a 2000€ machine to write e-mails on it or actually needs it to convert and edit videos, good for them, to me they offer nothing that doesn't seem to work better in Windows. And in my desktop I can also upgrade my GPU without having to buy a completely new system for another 2000+€.

The route of buying older ones may be fine if you just use it for work, of course.
    Wouldn't want them to go bankrupt either by the way, I'm just personally not a fan of their all or nothing approach to compatibility between devices. The additional gadgets that are compatible to Apple devices utilize some interesting tech and concepts, too, but they're also usually only available for premium prices in their category...
    Last edited by Husar; 11-13-2016 at 18:35.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Which is why I'm definitely looking to purchase an 2008 MacBook Pro for a very good price.
    A nearly ten year old Laptop? Ouch.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    IIRC, it uses a Core2Duo CPU- definitely a little old, but throw in plenty of RAM and an SSD upgrade and it should be a nice low-cost alternative to someone who wants an Apple.

I've become something of a fan of buying second-hand premium laptops at a bargain price.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 11-14-2016 at 04:00.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I've become something of a fan of buying second-hand premium laptops at a bargain price.
    That's very tempting, but unfortunately a decent ultrabook (light, up to 14") with dedicated graphics (e.g. RX460) doesn't really exist yet, at least not for a reasonable price. My current 14" ASUS S400CA was 700 or 800€ new and still works fine. I wouldn't want anything heavier, but it would be nice to have a little more than HD4000 integrated graphics sometimes. I don't see why an additional low-end-to-mid-range graphics chip should lead to a price hike of about 1000€ though.

In mysemester abroad I had to deal with the HD4000, at least it was good enough for World of Warships with low to medium settings and older games like Civ V and so on. A Full HD screen also couldn't hurt, but back when I bought it that was hardly available.

The biggest issue is that even this 14" Ultrabook feels really heavy when you carry it for longer periods, so for the Uni I often prefer to just take my 8" tablet, which also comes with a full Windows OS, but obviously lacks a bit more in the performance department (not required for the uni anyway though).

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    For work purposes mainly, clearly not for gaming or anything demanding. Because I love that keyboard!

Proud

Been to:

You may also want to consider the new Apple Book:

The Apple Book is actually real by the way, it's not a parody made by Stephen and his team.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/19/hands...e-design-book/

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

It is an amazing product but price is the biggest issue for me, lol

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...g-macbook-pro/

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-....569327.0.html

This is a bit different than the usual stuff - no more Intel chips. All new MacBooks now have the Apple M1X chip.

Proud

Been to:

I like apple. Macbook pro is the best solutions for any things. Buy and enjoy!

The new Mac pro is just perfect machine i ever seen.

Apple Macbook pro is definitely over priced I only suggest the apple laptops if you are into programming as you get the mac operating system and you can also use windows with few tricks another wise mac is highly over priced for me and since I like to play games windows laptops are always better as you get multiple games to explore.