and
    The Band Played Waltzing Matilda:

http://wonkette.com/608515/fine-here...ica-so-it-goes

Remembering those who have and will serve
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Members thankful for this post (2):

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Rememberance Day

Wonderful words by Vonnegut. I feel much more connected to the First World War for some reason and in 2015 I visited a bunch of the war memorials in Belgium. Very surreal.

Took this photo at the Menin Gate Memorial. Lest we forget.

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I think this is a particularly American problem, as here it's Armistice Day and Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday where we remember first of all the dead, and then also the survivors.

The words of the Kohima Epitaph are read every year.

Having said that, I used to wear a suit and tie like the soldiers but I gave it up a few years ago. Not least because I never did become one, and I think that every year there are fewer Civilians and the Great War has now passed out of living memory.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the expansion of it to remember all we have lost means it is something to take us through the generations, as many of us have lost people through various things from war, accidents, disease, or even old age. So having a day to Remember them all by makes it far more relate-able.

It is also awkward when we know people who purposefully reject Remembrance day because they see it as glorifying war.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    It is also awkward when we know people who purposefully reject Remembrance day because they see it as glorifying war.
    Or people in whose culture that day marks the beginning of the carnival season, a tradition that began as a mockery of the army.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

I think the expansion of it to remember all we have lost means it is something to take us through the generations, as many of us have lost people through various things from war, accidents, disease, or even old age. So having a day to Remember them all by makes it far more relate-able.

Like Jeremy Corbyn?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I disagree - Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day are for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. It should not glorify war, but neither should it be diluted into something mundane.

It began as a national act of mourning for the horrors of the Great War, not only those people suffered but also those which they inflicted. It is an act of commemoration but also an act of re-dedication to Peace.

That's not awkward at all - such people are either ignorant, and can be educated, or they're horrible people and you can stop associating with them.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]