Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.2r released!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.2d released!

Quote Originally Posted by 血荐轩辕 View Post
    I wonder when will next big update as 2.3 be released.Last time I try to install a small update.It destroy all my game.I can no longer play it.I hope that there will be a big update soon so that I can play it again.Hope that in the next big release the AI will be much more ferocious,not so mild
    2.3 will be released when it's ready. These testing patches are a critical part of assessing readiness.

Note that none of the patches are savegame compatible, so if you update you will not be able to play your previous saved games. If you want to see updated AI, you need to be playing the patches.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Member thankful for this post:

after I install the patch.The whold game become unplayable.Crushing to desk before I can play it

after I install the patch.The whold game become unplayable.Crushing to desk before I can play it
    Did you install it onto a working 2.2b or anything later in the series? You can't patch 2.2 with it.

Also, what does your error log say?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Hi guys,

excuse me but I can't understand all of it ( I don't speak good english :( ). I downloaded and I am playing now the 2.2E version, what should I do now?

sorry help me

Quote Originally Posted by CumPizdrul View Post
    Hi guys,

excuse me but I can't understand all of it ( I don't speak good english :( ). I downloaded and I am playing now the 2.2E version, what should I do now?

sorry help me
    If you want to update to 2.2h, then you can patch over your existing installation. But you'll have to start a new game, it won't work with existing saved games.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    If you want to update to 2.2h, then you can patch over your existing installation. But you'll have to start a new game, it won't work with existing saved games.
    ah, Quintus you are the best. Thank you. So I must overwrite the 2.2h on 2.2e , don't need to get back to 2.2b or pass through 2.2f ?

Quote Originally Posted by CumPizdrul View Post
    ah, Quintus you are the best. Thank you. So I must overwrite the 2.2h on 2.2e , don't need to get back to 2.2b or pass through 2.2f ?
    You don't need any other incremental updates. 2.2h installs either directly onto a clean installation of 2.2b, or over any subsequent version (2.2c-2.2g).

You don't need any other incremental updates. 2.2h installs either directly onto a clean installation of 2.2b, or over any subsequent version (2.2c-2.2g).
    Thank you very much indeed.

I remember during one of the prior updates, that we should play the game on hard campaign difficulty, and normal battle difficulty. Is that still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsaces View Post
    I remember during one of the prior updates, that we should play the game on hard campaign difficulty, and normal battle difficulty. Is that still the case?
    Yes.

Changelog for 2.2i:
    • New reform for Pergamon. Defeat of Galatians and acquisition of territory are the triggers.
    • New "Galatian Shakedown" event for the Pergamon player.
    • New government structure for Pergamon - few options outside of Anatolia before their reform.
    • Galatian independence script - it will keep adding new Rebels for a goodly while.
    • Ligurian resistance to the Roman player script.
    • Rebel "hotspots", 15 provinces with an additional response beyond the normal bandit spawns.
    • Merc hiring for KH and Arevaci - option some springs to lose recruit pools for money.
    • Closed off some of the north-south passes through the Caucasus to stop the AI walking around the Black Sea.
    • Hidden_resource ioudaioi added to Damaskos. Availability of Ioudaioi Taxeis revised; no longer available with Hellenic governments in Antiocheia/Alexandreia.
    • Included the updated export_units.txt this time, not the xml.

Changelog for 2.2k:
    • Galatian Shakedown only ends with the Pergamon reform - not simply by taking Galatia.
    • Increased chance of shakedown event from 20% to 50% every spring.
    • Consolidated Galatian Resistance into one occurrence when triggered (boost garrison AND spawn an army).
    • Garrison script condensed down from 30 to 1 monitor. Added a handful of Rebel settlements that were major centres in their own right to the factional capitals.
    • KH Reforms adjusted to use many fewer monitors.
    • Select a successor script consolidated down from 64 to 8 monitors. Together with the changes above, almost 200 monitors have been removed.
    • Halved value of spring bonanza for the AI.
    • Changed Baktrian/Hayastan tribute events to use the existing seasons, rather than their own special counters.
    • Switched off the second part of the "opening moves" script when the targeted faction is the player. Avoids the weird teleportation-siege-battle thing.
    • Added Getai to the horse herds building.
    • Jewish Garrisons now only work for the faction who actually controls Ioudaia. Previously they were available as long as any of the three chosen factions held it.
    • Carthage can now convert camps to cities.
    • Changed recruitment slots of Caucasian Tribal Kingdom to match that of others.
    • Changed formation of Thorakitai Epilektoi and Peltastai Makedones.
    • Shrunk Hai Nizagmartik to a regular infantry unit size (not levies).
    • More EDCT updates and cleanup.

Changelog for 2.2l:
    • Errors in KH governments in EDB corrected.
    • Collapsed "Control of Ioudaia" script into one monitor and expanded to Ioudaia or Babylonia.
    • Corrected folder name for merc Retainers.
    • Reduced most slingers shield value to 2.
    • Reworked KH merc script and Pergamon's Galatian Shakedown - they should now repeat.

If you aren't playing Pergamon or KH, it probably isn't worth updating just yet. This is primarily to fix two repeating events for those two factions.

Members thankful for this post (2):

wait, why must this be? I've found campaigns anything less than H/H to not be challenging enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsaces View Post
    is there an explanation as to why?

Quote Originally Posted by kvergara93 View Post
    wait, why must this be? I've found campaigns anything less than H/H to not be challenging enough.
    Because the unit stats and battle mechanics are balanced for Medium battle difficulty. What faction are you playing?

If you're finding battles too easy, chances are you're using some combination of always using full stacks (try 15 units), too much cavalry (more than 2 units as a settled faction), too many elites (more than 1 unit per stack), too many archers (more than 2 units), too much heavy line infantry, and/or targeting the enemy general to cause a general rout. I often find when people make this complaint, they use full stacks comprised almost entirely of heavy cavalry and heavy infantry, with little or no skirmishers, when a more balanced force would not only be more interesting to play, but more challenging too.

I've played as a lot of them but got bored once my empire became massive. I got a sense of "ok, since I'm so much stronger than everyone, it's only a matter of time until I conquer everything." I did rome 250+ turns. Averni, Leusitani, Saba, Ptolemaioi, Pritanoi, and Getai all for at least 150+ turns. Maybe this is more about me being easily bored...

And I do balance my armies pretty well. Granted, I rarely march with less than 15 units. And yes, killing off the general + cleaning up the routing army with calvary has always been a go-to strategy of mine.

So is it up to me to I guess limit myself in order to create a challenge? Or is there something hiding after 250-300 turns?

Also, if unit stats and battle mechanics for medium difficulty, what happens at higher difficulties? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, just geniunely curious
    Last edited by kvergara93; 04-12-2017 at 01:38.

Hello team and fans,

I'm currently playing 2.2g (a little obsolete, i know) with the Romani and noticed a couple of things:

1) First of all, playing EBII is still a lot of fun. Especially the Romani are quite complete and the details in buildings, units, scripts etc are stunning. I love all the descriptions and the reworked landscape. I think p.e. the removal of the "bridge" between Sicily and Bruttium was an advance. And still I experience a lot of AI sea invasions as the Carthies head to Syracusae and the Numidians to Sardinia.

2) I remember that the provinciae were removed in one of the last releases. Have they already been re-integrated? I miss them quite hard, as one of my goals was to "collect" all of them with my propraetores.

3) The cursus honorum still works well, but I would emphasize the creation of ex-questor, ex-praetor and ex-consul traits. So far, my family members only have ex-aedile traits.

4) The re-spawning of factions can be quite annoying. If you like to create an empire in historical borders like I do, it's kind of a problem, if for example the Carthies respawn in Phasania all the time, when you really don't want to incorporate the province in your imperium. In my opinion, re-spawning should be restricted at least to the historical core provinces of each faction to match the problem.

5) Is there any plan to expand the "a year in history"-events further than 212BC? I like them very much and am always kind of sad, when they end.

Thank you and keep up the good work!
    Best wishes,

Coronatus

2) The provinciae were never intentionally removed; have they stopped working?
    3) I think ex-magistrate traits were expanded recently.
    4) That's the re-emergence script failing to work as intended. Each faction only has one, or at most three specific locations they're supposed to re-spawn in. Except that doesn't seem to work all the time, and you get weird occurrences like this.
    5) I don't know. We have a hardcoded limit of around 500 entries in the historic_events.txt because of a tool we use to generate the strings, and each one of them is another entry.

Thank you very much for your answer.

2) Yes, at least this is what happens in my campaign. For example I already conquered Dyrrachium, have the provincia romana-government and installed a proper proconsul there and he doesn't get a certain ancilliary. Same happens in Sicily.
    3) Ok, maybe I should just install one of the later releases like 2.2l and see if something has changed.
    4) Well, let's see how that developes.
    5) So, every of the pop-ups like "Winter. Time to muster armies" counts for that? The "a year in history"-events would sum up only to about 60...

Best wishes,

Coronatus

We've discovered the choice of error logging method may have an impact on performance as well as stability. I'd highly recommend that everyone go into their EBII.cfg (using Notepad++ and not Windows Notepad) and make the following edit:

Find this:

Code:
    [log] 
    to = mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt 
    level = * trace
    And change it to this:

Code:
    [log] 
    to = mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt 
    #level = * trace
    level = * error
    It reduces the error tracking to a simpler form, which results in much, much smaller logs. While it gives less information, if you get a repeatable crash, all you need to do is switch them around (by removing the # from the trace line and putting it on the error line instead).

The difference in log size is significant - we're talking hundreds of KB for "error" vs hundreds of MB+ for "trace". While I've suspected for a while having big text files floating around in memory isn't good for stability (and the longer your session is, the bigger the file gets), it's been reported that it impacts between-turn processing times as well.

Changelog for 2.2m:
    • Corrected stats for Skythian Horse Archers (and Bosporan bodyguards).
    • Given free upkeep to Lakonikoi, removed "hide anywhere" from Parthian Levy Spearmen and ap from Sauromatian Nobles' secondary lances.
    • Increased defensive skill of Sabeaen professionals/elites.
    • Reduced secondary attack stats for Komatai Hippotoxotai and Komatai.
    • Implemented several planned features for Sab'yn.
    • New descriptions for Pergamene governments.
    • Added shipbuilding to Shardin/Korsim port buildings. Major revision of higher port building recruitment; heavy fleets only come from specific places, not everywhere.
    • Removed Rebel recruitment of pirate fleets, given them light ships instead. Pirate still spawn randomly in the usual manner.
    • Revised southern Arabian recruitment pools.
    • Removed the Captain-triggered loop of the Ligurian Resistance script.

Main thing for testing here is the Saba changes. While it doesn't have their new units (Bedouin are substituted here), it has the new gameplay bits. The start isn't so boring any more...

Otherwise keep an eye on naval recruitment, particularly by Rebels.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-26-2017 at 10:21.

Member Member magnificent walrus's Avatar

We've discovered the choice of error logging method may have an impact on performance as well as stability. I'd highly recommend that everyone go into their EBII.cfg (using Notepad++ and not Windows Notepad) and make the following edit:
    It would be better if you added these instructions to the original post so that more people can see it.

By the way, what is needed to patch to a new release: just extracting the new files (Does the file for animations change too?), or some uninstallation beforehand too? I'm not sure but my now resolved problem in this thread might be due to a mistake in patching on my part: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...t-my-error-log

Quote Originally Posted by magnificent walrus View Post
    It would be better if you added these instructions to the original post so that more people can see it.

By the way, what is needed to patch to a new release: just extracting the new files (Does the file for animations change too?), or some uninstallation beforehand too? I'm not sure but my now resolved problem in this thread might be due to a mistake in patching on my part: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...t-my-error-log
    You just need to extract and paste over your data folder; no need to do the animations again, no need for a reinstallation.

If you did reinstall, then you'd patch directly over 2.2b, you don't need any of the incremental past versions. Though if you'd reinstalled, you would need to do the animations again.

Changelog for 2.2n:
    • Updated Southern Arabian Rebel Alliance script - spawned "support" now acts.
    • Switched Galatian Raider placeholder in Hellenistic Colonies for Celtic Mercenary Swordsmen.
    • Switched Ligurian Slinger/Corsi Infantry placeholder to Balearic Slingers.
    • Added eastcol pool to eastern Sicily, adjusted those in western Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica and Massalia.
    • Major revision of north African and western Sicilian recruitment.
    • Changes to Pergamene elite recruitment.
    • Adjusted size and cost of Komatai Epilektoi.
    • Tripled cost of Marib Dam unique.
    • Updated faction re-emergence script to remove duplicated counters. Changed order of army spawn and re-emerge.
    • Amended models for Libyan Infantry (javelins removed) and Numidian Skirmishers (spear as secondary weapon instead of knife).

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

*waits for the EB Team to run out of letters to reinstall*
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    *waits for the EB Team to run out of letters to reinstall*
    Given the pace of changes now (I think we've shaken out most of the obvious bugs), I don't think we'll reach z before 2.3, but you never know.

Changelog for 2.2o:
    • Moved the garrison commander of Nertobriga to the actual location of the settlement.
    • Another reworking of faction re-emergence, spawn moved back to the top.
    • Corrected add_settlement_turmoil values.
    • Put the unrest part of the Troublesome Regions script into a conditional IF statement - only applies when not Rebel-held.

I also wait the next big release to install.the small release is far too difficult to install.,it may destory the all game

Member Member magnificent walrus's Avatar

I also wait the next big release to install.the small release is far too difficult to install.,it may destory the all game
    I thought the reason it broke the game for me was because I'm on Linux. Don't know why you're concerned though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast