Thread: So I bought STW2

Default So I bought STW2

After STW I bought MTW and loved both games.
    Didn't play TW (or any game for that matter) in recent years but recently I needed some distraction and decided to try the new gen TW series and started with STW2...

Ran through the tutorials and I love that the battles still feel the same as the old STW games.

But the campaign map... wow, so much more info and things to do... not sure I'm too happy about the added features.

Anyway.. do people still play STW2 online? Any tips to make the campaign map more enjoyable (less management, more like the old shoggy)?
    Abandon all hope.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: So I bought STW2

Less management... quite unlikely there Mith. And plus, I don't think it's micro-management heavy, it's a bit more streamlined.

Nevertheless, excellent game.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I've played a bit more, it seems managable now... What's the best way to get my finances going?
    I seem to run out of money in no time, and expanding seems much harder than in the original...

Maybe I'm just growing old :(.
    Abandon all hope.

It isn't that you are getting old. You should have heard the howling (some with delight) as the game was beating many veteran players. Once players started to figure out the mechanics of the game, it became beatable.
    This space intentionally left blank

Member thankful for this post:

To be fair... I find the original harder than S2TW. In the original Shoggy, you either beat the game in 15-20 turns and destroy the enemy clans or else you're toast.

In S2TW, it allows you to turtle a bit and build up.

Make use of those trading positions.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why all the hate against turtling?

Shogun 2 is a lovely game, the best Total War I played.

Upgrade your farms and gold mines if you possess any. If you start in Shikoku/Chosokabe/ or Western Japan, trade posts are an option. Otherwise just seize a fat and rich province. If you start with the Tokugawa, go for Owari (it's a fun clan perhaps my favourite); Takeda need the mines of the Hojo, Uesugi the Sado island (Honma), Date may try getting the trade post in the North.

In the mid-game you can start selling trade treaties at pretty high prices (it's up to you to decide whether this is a cheating or not).

About expanding... take your time. Keep an eye on your neighbours, never entirely trust anyone but still try to make one strategic ally (with at least sufficient integrity). Give him your daughter/ ask the hand of their, hostages and bribes/gifts do work. Look for opportunities (key and rich provinces or troubled neighbours; dishounorable neighbors: Hattori, Ikko Ikki, Amako: you should always expect that they will go for your throat ). Do not attack Kyoto until ready. All Japan will hate you.

Cheap yari ashigaru are your best friend, especially when on yari wall and in a defensive battle. This is very valid in the early stages of the game. I like the unit and usually use it extensively till the end of the game with some nice back-up.

P.S. While not part of the original question, please try out the naval battles. They are not perfect but are still an interesting experience. In addition, autoresolving gives you terrible results on the naval battles. Some clans need fleet less than others: as the Tokugawa you will probably need only one good fleet to guard your shores from landing armies (medium bunes and some captured ships is pretty decent). As the Mori, you will want to dominate the waves.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 01-08-2017 at 13:02.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

In the original Shoggy, you either beat the game in 15-20 turns and destroy the enemy clans or else you're toast.
    Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration. The time scale is considerably affected by which era one starts the game. Any campaign started in 1530 is much more forgiving to a slow pace. Clan infrastructures are minimal, and there's a lot of ebb and flow before some clans start to dominate. One can afford the time to turtle a bit...but not too long The 15-20 turns might be closer to the truth in any campaign started in 1580, where clan infrastructure is well developed to start, and clans can field advanced troops and have a much larger income at the beginning.

I have Shogun 2, but haven't had a lot of time to play. I have much more free time coming in a couple of months, so I plan on changing that
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I've played a bit more, it seems managable now... What's the best way to get my finances going?
    I seem to run out of money in no time, and expanding seems much harder than in the original...

Maybe I'm just growing old :(.
    Ashigaru armies (6-8 yari and 4-6 bow plus 2 katana samurai and maybe light cav) until you get enough money provinces (level 2 castle with a level 1-2 market and the ninja building up as far as possible) to support more Samurai.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Thanks for the tips!

Great fun so far!
    Abandon all hope.

Make sure you get the DLC packs as well, some great unique units.

Takeda Fire Cavalry!

Proud

Been to: