Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120
Results 3,571 to 3,598 of 3598

Thread: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

  1. #3571
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    I can and will post less, but asking me to change my process entirely and "stop playing live" is like asking a basketball player to start using a bowling ball at the free throw line

    Sure it might work but it's just unwieldy

  2. #3572
    Member Member BSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    I think here and there it is fine, but there is a balance to it. Too much and it just becomes unbearable. Every once in awhile is no problem.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

  3. #3573
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    I think here and there it is fine, but there is a balance to it. Too much and it just becomes unbearable. Every once in awhile is no problem.
    I agree, and I noticed when I was posting like 6 times in a row and promptly said "tomorrow I will try to post less"

    I got better at CONSOLIDATING my posts, but part of the problem is my phone sometimes butchers my posts to the point where I'm not even sure people will understand them

    And then I have to correct them

    It's not like I just blurt out words as they come to my head, there is a ton of thought that goes behind my posts it just happens really really fast, and also I'm on my phone because I have a broken computer. I can't do too much better than this so I play with the limitations I have placed on me
    Last edited by Monstrdude; 01-03-2017 at 20:22.

  4. #3574
    Senior Member Senior Member Othello Champion Montmorency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,707

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    Oh and: the stream of consciousness posting got me completely townread

    Using the thread as my personal notepad and "needless chats" lead to great quality of reads from me throughout the game

    I tried to and in the future will cut back more, but you're missing several key aspects of all these "contentless posts" you're so frustrated with

    I agree that having to skip ten pages sucks and isn't right
    A benefit is that most were short, so it created its own flow, but the real problem is with replies. If you have 6 posts with 15 sentences between them, especially if you're still posting, I think it encourages multipost responses that normally would have consolidated, and it all becomes confusingly entangled. Certainly for me it was the case that posts begat posts in a way not felt in games with less posting, and multiplied by 10 or 20 players...

    One recommendation is to have a more consistent format to improve flow in multiposts. Another is to include a small, visually-distinctive signature in your posts. See Forum Actions > General Settings > (My Settings) Edit Signature at the top of the page.
    Vitiate Man.

  5. #3575
    Member Member BSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    Oh and: the stream of consciousness posting got me completely townread

    Using the thread as my personal notepad and "needless chats" lead to great quality of reads from me throughout the game

    I tried to and in the future will cut back more, but you're missing several key aspects of all these "contentless posts" you're so frustrated with

    I agree that having to skip ten pages sucks and isn't right

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    I can and will post less, but asking me to change my process entirely and "stop playing live" is like asking a basketball player to start using a bowling ball at the free throw line

    Sure it might work but it's just unwieldy
    If you’ll allow me to pick on you a little bit here… this is an example of exactly what I am talking about. These two posts say basically the same thing, are just minutes apart, and have no other posts between them. Taking a second to review the first post might have led you to add the bit in the second that you felt needed to be said, resulting in one cleaner post that says exactly what you are wanting to say. Or after writing the second post but before hitting submit you might have reviewed it and decided that it didn’t really add any new content and basically repeated your previous post, leading you to not hit submit.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

  6. #3576
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    That's just my personality

    And they totally say different things?

    One contains justifications for individual things

    The other is a half joke

  7. #3577
    Member Member BSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    …and also I'm on my phone because I have a broken computer.
    This does make my recommendation to use another program like Word to write/edit posts harder. I don’t post too much at all when I am on mobile as it is such a pain in the ass to do much with it. I do feel you here.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

  8. #3578
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    I mean, I've tried to cut back before and change this and it usually results in people going "man monstrman sure seems like he's intentionally changing his posts or something so he's probably a wolf"

  9. #3579
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Also, bear with me here

    I think bite sized posts with less information in spurts are SO MUCH EASIER to read than megaposts that are far too consolidated
    Last edited by Monstrdude; 01-03-2017 at 20:30.

    Member thankful for this post:

    Zack 


  10. #3580
    Member Member BSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    There is another extreme, that is the wall of text. This can be equally as hard to read. The art is in finding the balance between the two extremes.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

  11. #3581
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    There is another extreme, that is the wall of text. This can be equally as hard to read. The art is in finding the balance between the two extremes.
    YA I GUESS

    but I still crushed it this game so

  12. #3582
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Fun fact there are another 600 (easily more) nonexistent posts that were in my head at one point and I decided that none of them needed to be put into the thread

    So believe it or not I was absolutely holding back this game

    I just need to force myself to do it more. I think what I'm gonna do from now on is leave my posts open in the box for a few minutes and if I have NOTHING left to say I will post or discard as needed

    It will probably still have spelling errors because it's hard to proofread on a phone, I wish I was on a computer so I could use actual English.

  13. #3583
    Member Member BSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    but I still crushed it this game so
    I would argue that crushing it has no relevance to number of posts, but rather to the content of said posts.

    I was lock clear townie by D4, provided a ton of actionable information in my kill choice (and really was a hair away from killing an actual scum had we lynched Cuth instead), and then successfully drew a kill in an attempt to save others that were more active and might still have useful activities (pesky other kills nullified this though). All this with a mere fraction of the post count that you had.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

  14. #3584
    Member Member BSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    Fun fact there are another 600 (easily more) nonexistent posts that were in my head at one point and I decided that none of them needed to be put into the thread

    So believe it or not I was absolutely holding back this game

    I just need to force myself to do it more. I think what I'm gonna do from now on is leave my posts open in the box for a few minutes and if I have NOTHING left to say I will post or discard as needed

    It will probably still have spelling errors because it's hard to proofread on a phone, I wish I was on a computer so I could use actual English.
    You were by far not the only one contributing to the high post count. And the bolded is an excellent way forward.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

  15. #3585
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    That's not the point

    The point is that you crushed it your way and I crushed it mine

    I agree that it's not about the volume but it's definitely about the process. Where was I before I was interacting with every player individually asking them questions and answering those questions?

    "General hankerchief is a wolf." I hadn't spoken to him once that game. Thats the result. They become a wolf because you've distanced yourself from them

    I may be dumb, but I know this game is about communication; about fostering trust. I agree that you having to read that many posts when you have ever limited time is frustrating, but there's no way I'm ever gonna stop talking to every single player in the game in the places I see fit
    Last edited by Monstrdude; 01-03-2017 at 20:46.

  16. #3586
    stop tinfoiling me Member Zack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,948

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    Also, bear with me here

    I think bite sized posts with less information in spurts are SO MUCH EASIER to read than megaposts that are far too consolidated
    I agree.

    Find it much easier to read through a lot of short posts than a few big ones, personally.

  17. #3587
    stop tinfoiling me Member Zack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,948

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    And related to that, I find interacting with people in real-time is more useful and enjoyable. It's hard to read someone like Al, for example, when he didn't really interact with people and would instead just post big summaries of his reads.

  18. #3588
    Senior Member Senior Member Othello Champion Montmorency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,707

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    But that's a matter of formatting. Judicious application of spoiler tags solves everything, and even when one is awed by the scope or length of a full post at least they can take comfort in knowing when and where it all is.
    Vitiate Man.

  19. #3589
    edgy undertitle Member Monstrdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    But that's a matter of formatting. Judicious application of spoiler tags solves everything, and even when one is awed by the scope or length of a full post at least they can take comfort in knowing when and where it all is.
    Speaking from someone on a phone, 90% of the time it doesn't get read from us chaps

    I'm usually the exception, with the exception that I skim them for useful info

  20. #3590
    Member Member Sooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    639

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Summary read-type posts are also much easier to fake as scum than natural flow rapid real time posts, so I find that it helps me townread people.

  21. #3591
    Member Member Al Sipsclar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    292

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    (just logged in after 2 days afk, ...wow...)

    I spent most of the time I had trying to catch up. Then I either ran out of time, or the thread went silent (or there were Visor and Zack relentlessly kicking Cuth). I thought the least I could do was to post my reads.

    I liked the game anyway, and I do like the setup! I even think that the extra kills for missing votes is an interesting idea. I'd play again. Thanks, Pizza, for hosting, wp all!

  22. #3592
    -fzzt Member Cuthillius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    @Cuthillius

    I enjoyed playing with you and was really glad I cleared you successfully

    You were a fairly obvious villager to me
    yup

    i don't blame people for finding me rather scummy

    but gj on that

    and gj on townleading

    and actually being someone active

  23. #3593
    -fzzt Member Cuthillius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrbro View Post
    Speaking from someone on a phone, 90% of the time it doesn't get read from us chaps

    I'm usually the exception, with the exception that I skim them for useful info
    speaking as someone not on a phone, 90% of the time it doesn't get read by me either

    i mean, yes, glance at it and see if there's anything important

    but most of the time it's just condensed fluff

  24. #3594
    -fzzt Member Cuthillius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    i also lol'd a little at this being called an "extreme example"

    because while it is, it also isn't

    meh

    enjoy playing here though

    gg all

  25. #3595
    Member Member atheotes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    metaphysical Utopia...
    Posts
    2,914

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    There is another extreme, that is the wall of text. This can be equally as hard to read. The art is in finding the balance between the two extremes.
    Wait, WoT is a strategy for scum to get a town read or mislynches going, no?

    BSmith, i understand your pain. I hate having to read too many posts as much as anyone. and In my case, its the middle of the night when most people are active. so when i come to the thread in the morning i am perpetually in catch up mode. and i end up focusing on mechanics or tone and voting pattern.
    But people play the game the way they want to. As long as it is not spam, i am ok with it.

    btw, i have also been playing at MU where a lot of people go "high posting = town".

  26. #3596
    Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Tontie Champion Csargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Vote:Sasaki
    Posts
    12,498

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    I agree with @BSmith post fully. I'm glad @Fenn could step in and take my place. I couldn't continuously keep up with the volume of the game in a way that would allow me to contribute in any decent way. I agree with BSmith that being concise is important. I'm just going to say that BSmith's post is spot on for me, and my feelings about this game. It was an interesting setup and wish I could have actually contributed, but it is what it is. Thanks for taking my spot Fenn, really appreciate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

  27. #3597
    Member Member Fenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    No worries Csargo. Turned out my being late for the game worked out in the end!

    This posting rate in this was a little above average in terms of what I'm used to, but that was enough to make my laziness prevail over rereading Day 2 and ISO'ing heavily. Funny to see how people were townreading me in retrospect, because I did not think I sounded very towny at the time

  28. #3598
    syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battening down hatches
    Posts
    3,034

    Default Re: Representative Democracy [Concluded]

    monstrbro: It's not personal. It's strictly business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    A benefit is that most were short, so it created its own flow, but the real problem is with replies. If you have 6 posts with 15 sentences between them, especially if you're still posting, I think it encourages multipost responses that normally would have consolidated, and it all becomes confusingly entangled. Certainly for me it was the case that posts begat posts in a way not felt in games with less posting, and multiplied by 10 or 20 players...

    One recommendation is to have a more consistent format to improve flow in multiposts. Another is to include a small, visually-distinctive signature in your posts. See Forum Actions > General Settings > (My Settings) Edit Signature at the top of the page.
    Yeah, add a decent, distinctive avatar so that we can tell when your rant ends. Otherwise people keep the ridiculous avatars provided by the .org and when we skim through the thread to gauge the length of your posts we can't tell whos doing what at a glance.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO