Thread: Russian Ambassador Murdered in Turkey

Default Russian Ambassador Murdered in Turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XobtcVhGKd4

Gunmen shouted "this is the fate of the murderers in Aleppo." After that he said he would not leave the hall and just waited for someone to shoot him.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 12-19-2016 at 18:51.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Russian Ambassador Murdered in Turkey

Has Turkey officially "joined the Middle East" in terms of conflict potential and crazy, murderous people?
    That's just a terrible thing to do, just like most of the things in the news from that region...

Also, why is the video categorized under "Comedy"?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Members thankful for this post (4):

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

My thoughts go out to the family of the ambassador. Apparently the gunman came in with a police identity card. I really wonder what the Russian response will be.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    My thoughts go out to the family of the ambassador. Apparently the gunman came in with a police identity card. I really wonder what the Russian response will be.
    Not much. Remember when Turkey shot the airplane and kill the pilot... All will be dealt with undergrounds...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

First a jet fighter, then the ambassador. President next?
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Has Turkey officially "joined the Middle East" in terms of conflict potential and crazy, murderous people?
    That's just a terrible thing to do, just like most of the things in the news from that region...

Also, why is the video categorized under "Comedy"?
    For the same reason as Alighieri's Inferno mayhap?

Heard this on NPR on the way to a meeting this afternoon at work. On the Rush Limbaugh show of all places. As to your larger concern, I think the answer is a clear "yes." Turkey is becoming much more highly radicalized than at any point in the preceding 50 years.

I would also say that this will be exacerbated as the IS is removed from power (radical Islam will shift to another standard bearer TBD, not saying 'mission accomplished' except in the most limited way). Once IS is removed, we will have a de facto Kurdistan bordering Turkey along the nexus of the Iraq/Syria border....and I don't think that having fought to free the terrain that they will be much interested in going back to 2005 status....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I was also reminded that tomorrow the Russians, Turks, and Iranians are supposed to meet to discuss Syria. I wouldnt be surprised if this was done to derail the talks.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Unless there's reason to believe that this was not an action of a deranged man, I doubt it will create issues on the highest level. All Turkey needs to do is to condemn the crime and express deepest sympathy.

Might raise levels of security, but, for all intents and purposes, I don't expect anything to change.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Unless there's reason to believe that this was not an action of a deranged man, I doubt it will create issues on the highest level. All Turkey needs to do is to condemn the crime and express deepest sympathy.

Might raise levels of security, but, for all intents and purposes, I don't expect anything to change.
    Wasn't the killer a member of the security detail? Would the Russians, or anyone else, trust the Turks to provide security again?

Blog Entries

Same day: Berlin lorry attack and swiss islamic centre shootout.

All we need is a molestation gang attack and 19/12/2016 becomes a microcosm of the years's misery.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-19-2016 at 22:00.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Wasn't the killer a member of the security detail? Would the Russians, or anyone else, trust the Turks to provide security again?
    If a cop commits murder, should we disband the police?

Even though it may appear it would become an issue at first glance, as soon as heads cool, logic (that a single cop isn't representative of the entire Turkish security apparatus) should prevail.

Russia (and other countries) might demand more scrutiny in the future, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    No he faked that, he was an off duty cop. Press thought he was part of ambassador's security and wounded three other people. Guy fired 15-20 shots and it seemed like in the video a whole clip emptied on the ambassador's back.

RIP to ambassador and good riddance to another disturber of peace who achieved absolutely nothing by this act.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 12-19-2016 at 22:23.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

5-1 odds it was Putin.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

It will be entertaining to watch the hoop-jumping performed by the Turkish government to tie the assassin to Gülen.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

R.I.P. ambassador Karlov.

I don't think it will derail the talks about Syria, or have any serious diplomatic repurcussions. Both countries are run by jingoist dicks. When Turkey shot down the Russian plane it was to be expected that they would both stand their ground verbally, if only to avoid losing face. If this attack has any effect at all on the diplomatic level, I would think that Turkey would actually be willing to cooperate more with Russia out of embarassment. To Putin, the loss of one ambassador is probably just a passing inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    To Putin, the loss of one ambassador is probably just a passing inconvenience.
    While decent western politicians would undergo a cleansing ritual, shave all the hair from their body and spend the next two decades in a Tibetan monastery?

What was even the point of saying that?

Members thankful for this post (3):

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Be cynical if you want. In western countries the opposition would hound the government for their failure to protect their diplomatic staff, because that's what the opposition does even if it's not fair. In Russia the opposition....har, har

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    I don't think it will derail the talks about Syria, or have any serious diplomatic repurcussions. Both countries are run by jingoist dicks. When Turkey shot down the Russian plane it was to be expected that they would both stand their ground verbally, if only to avoid losing face.
    In plane shooting accident it was clear that the Turkish top military officials (and even Erdogan himself) were implicated. Hence the rift that happened (albeit mended quite soon). In the case of assassination no such implication is evident, so all what Turkey can be charged with is security negligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...guard&src=typd
    Iranian foreign minister's bodyguard looking at Turkish foreign minister's bodyguard. #Iran #Turkey #Russia That look on the face.
    Wooooo!!!