Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
Now you sound like you basically agree with me and just don't know it.

The only difference is that I believe that as adults they also need some space to develop. Your approach seems to me like you denied your child an education and then complain that, now that it is an adult, it has no job. Then you proceed to call the adult a loser who cannot achieve anything in life and say that is entirely his own fault...

Have a good night.
They're not my child, and they have a tendency to produce people who proclaim loyalty to a foreign state and execute acts of violent in western countries in their name, using our intended acts of goodwill as their reasoning. I strongly opposed said act back in 2003, but if, as people keep reminding me, we are to forever suffer the stigma of acting thus in 2003, then I can accept that, and accept the possibility that others may think differently from us, and accept other people's right to live their lives as they will, uninterfered with by us.

If they have these rights, then so do we, and the only practical way of reconciling these is to let them be and keep to ourselves. We were wrong to go into Iraq. So why repeat the mistake? If you're convinced you can do good, you should go ahead and do it yourself. Just as I accept their right to live their lives without our interference, so I respect your right to do whatever you want. And unlike you, I'd even respect your right to do so without subsequently moaning about it with Catch 22 arguments that frame you to be wrong whatever you do or don't do.