Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: French Presidential Election

Default Re: French Presidential Election

Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan View Post
    Melenchon has a very awkward leniency towards Maduro and the Castros. But no tenderness for Putin or North Korea, never. I'm not Brenus, maybe you can trust me.
    It is not about trusting or distrusting Brenus. It is about trusting or distrusting a person who supports/ed a politician and is now trying to prove those, who criticize him, wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan View Post
    He just said Russia is an important actor and as such shall not be treated lightly. Isn't it what you want to make us understand too?
    "Being not treated lightly" means "taking it seriously". It is quite different from "establishing a warm realtionship", isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"Being not treated lightly" means "taking it seriously". It is quite different from "establishing a warm realtionship", isn't it?
    Well done, you spotted it!

"It is about trusting or distrusting a person who supports/ed a politician and is now trying to prove those, who criticize him, wrong." They don't criticise him, they bluntly lied. Telling that someone (well, his "adviser") said something and it is not what he said, is a lie.
    Disagree with someone is normal. Using lie is not.
    Last edited by Brenus; 05-20-2017 at 14:54.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    This matter winds itself ever in new riddles, as Faramir used to say. Who's Marianne
    This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne_(magazine) , the english article is very basic but marianne is the only independant mainstream news source. Center-right, indeed, but reliable and republican enough to have me, authoritarian left winger, reading it for fifteen years.

who's Founder
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Fran%C3%A7ois_Kahn

The one who made mistakes and aknowledges it. The only one among french media.

and is Bayrou an adjective to have degrees of comparison?
    You nail it... Almost an adjective. "Central". "Somehow useful". "honest to foolishness". "crappy 'friends' ". "almost convincing". "A whole lotta scars between the shoulder plates". Bayrou... oh my, this last one looks very likely very soon, again.
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 05-21-2017 at 01:20.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Macron continues his triumphant march:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tary-elections

Yeap. 52% abstention... What a triumph.
    Btw, first Foreign Politician received by him: Vladimir Putin, and at Versailles... But he told him off. Happy?
    Last edited by Brenus; 06-13-2017 at 20:34.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Yeap. 52% abstention... What a triumph.
    If one looks at the number of parliamentary seats his party obtained it is a triumph for a totally new party which came into being half a year (?) ago.

Btw, first Foreign Politician received by him: Vladimir Putin, and at Versailles... But he told him off. Happy?
    I heard that the last political leader received at Versailles was Gaddafi.

I heard that the last political leader received at Versailles was Gaddafi.
    Gaddafi was received at the Elysee Palace.
    I think it is the 1st time a foreign Head of State was received at Versailles.

"If one looks at the number of parliamentary seats his party obtained it is a triumph for a totally new party which came into being half a year (?) ago." You are right. No opposition, so only solution will be in the streets.

Refusing to vote is not an act of dissatisfaction. It's a vote for the majority electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Refusing to vote is not an act of dissatisfaction. It's a vote for the majority electorate.
    If I refuse to go in a shop, I am not buying all what is in the shop...

No. It is a sign political landscape is not reflecting the voters reality, or that the elections process is not any more adapted to reflect it. Macron had something like 20 % of the vote during the 1st round.
    He will have an absolute majority if things go as predicted. So 80% of the voters won't be represented. That is why, not only in France, abstention is the new democracies' plague...
    And in France, for historical reason due to the 4th Republic, the electoral system gives advantage to the victors. Roughly, if you win all constituencies with 50% (of the valid votes, as abstention or "blank" vote is not recognised) plus 1 voice, you will have 100 % of the parliament, so 49.99% of the voters are not represented. Then you can claim you have a full mandate to do whatever you want. Then the only option left for the 49.99 % to be heard is demonstrations in streets.
    What Macron is now preparing under the smoke screen of anti-terrorism is to integrate the "emergency measures" in the common laws, banning demonstration against his policies de facto...
    His problem is French don't care too much about laws they disagree with. So it will end by dead demonstrators as police will have to use more and more violent systems of controlling the demonstrations, because they is just not enough of anti-riot police officers thanks to the cuts imposed by the EU...
    Of course, demonstrators will rise to the challenge, then we will have dead in the police forces, media (controlled by Macron's sponsors) will show how savage the workers defending their life against the savagery of Macron Policies are...
    Facebook and youtube will react to governmental propaganda...
    And then... All hells will open...
    Last edited by Brenus; 06-15-2017 at 08:56.

Gaddafi was received at the Elysee Palace.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...130221268.html

Perhaps trying to add an air of importance to Putin's visit, Russian TV channel RT shared the following curious detail: "Receptions in Versailles are very rare. For example, Nicolas Sarkozy received a guest at the royal palace only once. That was the famous visit of Muammar Gaddafi in 2007."

What about your claim-to-fame reality check?

He will have an absolute majority if things go as predicted. So 80% of the voters won't be represented. That is why, not only in France, abstention is the new democracies' plague...
    If they abstained they don't want/don't care to be represented.

His problem is French don't care too much about laws they disagree with. So it will end by dead demonstrators as police will have to use more and more violent systems of controlling the demonstrations, because they is just not enough of anti-riot police officers thanks to the cuts imposed by the EU...
    So they don't want to change things legally by voting (aka abstention) and will start rioting? Is it what you denounced so vehemently about Ukrainians?
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 06-15-2017 at 11:55.

"What about your claim-to-fame reality check?" I did check.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-fell-out.html

You can't resist, can you?

"If they abstained they don't want/don't care to be represented." In your simple world only.

"Is it what you denounced so vehemently about Ukrainians?" No. What I denounced about Ukrainians is the Coup (which was probably illegal) and the fact that demonstrations (legal) were hijacked by Nazi (who are probably legal in Ukraine)...

"So they don't want to change things legally by voting (aka abstention) and will start rioting?" Demonstrations are legal in France, as a legal mean to express opinions. Perhaps for a linguist you should check the definition of "legal"

Don't forget 1871...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Don't forget 1871...
    Don't think they were invited...

Historically, I wonder if Germany was the only country proclaiming its birth in someone else Palace?
    Sure they left a mess which took two world wars to clean...
    Last edited by Brenus; 06-15-2017 at 14:47.

If I refuse to go in a shop, I am not buying all what is in the shop...

No. It is a sign political landscape is not reflecting the voters reality, or that the elections process is not any more adapted to reflect it. Macron had something like 20 % of the vote during the 1st round.
    And in France, for historical reason due to the 4th Republic, the electoral system gives advantage to the victors. Roughly, if you win all constituencies with 50% (of the valid votes, as abstention or "blank" vote is not recognised) plus 1 voice, you will have 100 % of the parliament, so 49.99% of the voters are not represented. Then you can claim you have a full mandate to do whatever you want. Then the only option left for the 49.99 % to be heard is demonstrations in streets.
    What Macron is now preparing under the smoke screen of anti-terrorism is to integrate the "emergency measures" in the common laws, banning demonstration against his policies de facto...
    Of course, demonstrators will rise to the challenge, then we will have dead in the police forces, media (controlled by Macron's sponsors) will show how savage the workers defending their life against the savagery of Macron Policies are...
    Facebook and youtube will react to governmental propaganda...
    And then... All hells will open...
    Even if 90% of the people choose 'none of the above', someone has to win. An election is nothing like shopping at a store.

The most important time for the people to get involved with choosing their leadership is not in the first wave, or the second wave. It's when the parties pick their candidates. I don't know how primaries are done in France, but if the party leadership is giving you duds it's time to reform the process on how party leadership is chosen

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Chosing leadership lol, you don't understand the French

Don't think they were invited...
    But they were received in a way...

Historically, I wonder if Germany was the only country proclaiming its birth in someone else Palace?
    That's actually an interesting question. I can't think of any.

Sure they left a mess which took two world wars to clean...
    Surely that is a joke, since the whole mess was created by imperialist and/or monarchic aspirations in the first place and I find it hard to believe you would defend such sentiments.

"What about your claim-to-fame reality check?" I did check.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-fell-out.html

You can't resist, can you?
    Evidently, we speak of different visits by Gaddafi. You refer to the one in 2011, I mean the one in 2007.

demonstrations (legal) were hijacked by Nazi (who are probably legal in Ukraine)...
    Are FN nazis? Are they legal in France? The same with Svoboda.
    The latter were so nazi that they let the hijacked power out of their hands in presidential and parliamentary elections and allowed a Jew to be appointed prime minister.

"So they don't want to change things legally by voting (aka abstention) and will start rioting?" Demonstrations are legal in France, as a legal mean to express opinions. Perhaps for a linguist you should check the definition of "legal"
    You spoke of anti-riot police policemen, so I assumed you were hinting at possible riots which are illegal. Or are they legal?
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 06-16-2017 at 16:31.

"Evidently, we speak of different visits by Gaddafi. You refer to the one in 2011, I mean the one in 2007." Here we go, mystery elucidated...

"Are FN nazis? Are they legal in France? The same with Svoboda." Some are. Officially, Nazism is forbidden in France. And FN didn't (yet) organised a Coup. BTW, do you know that the Front National was the name of a Communist Freedom Fighter Group in France? Unlike in Ukraine, the FN doesn't show it is a Nazi party, or fascist...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ch_Resistance)

"You spoke of anti-riot police" If I would have said Compagnies Républicaines de Sécurité, I am not sure that someone would have understood to what I was referring to... Riots are just a possible extension of demonstrations. Not legal, but still a possibility, reason why Anti-Riot police is deployed... Same for emergency services in hospital, and firefighters, doesn't make accidents and fires legal...
    Last edited by Brenus; 06-16-2017 at 19:52.

"But they were received in a way..." Yeah, in a way...

" I find it hard to believe you would defend such sentiments." Where did I did that? If I did, it was not intentional...

Where did I did that? If I did, it was not intentional...
    "would", because you didn't, but it was a potential conclusion one could have drawn.

Officially, Nazism is forbidden in France.
    The same in Ukraine. Or do you believe it is otherwise?

And FN didn't (yet) organised a Coup.
    Neither did Svoboda (or any party). "The coup" was the result of the acting president escaping from the country. And after "the coup" both the presidential and parliamentary elections were held which were recognized by everyone outside Ukraine, including Russia. If you mean the Maidan movement that caused the escape, then it wasn't organized by any party, Svoboda including.

Unlike in Ukraine, the FN doesn't show it is a Nazi party, or fascist...
    Like Right Sector, which had a jewish platoon and a synagogue built near the fronlines?

Like Right Sector, which had a jewish platoon and a synagogue built near the fronlines?
    And the insignia of the 2 SS Division.
    BTW, dividing your units by religions is Nazi's orientated ideology

For what left of your remark, we argued before so, let's not re-start this. Just go back wherever it was...

BTW, dividing your units by religions is Nazi's orientated ideology
    You mean nazis had Catholic, Orthodox, Buddhist, Moslem etc regiments?

By race or nationality, yes. Mostly volunteer SS, though.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You mean nazis had Catholic, Orthodox, Buddhist, Moslem etc regiments?
    Buddhist, I doubt, but others, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    By race or nationality, yes. Mostly volunteer SS, though.
    It is different from what you claimed (e.i. by religion), but in case of race or nationality: this tradition goes back to Roman army (perhaps even before - too lazy to check, Macedoneans in particular):https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Roman_army

Under Augustus (ruled 30 BC – 14 AD), the army consisted of legions, eventually auxilia and also numeri.
    Numeri were allied native (or "barbarian") units from outside the Empire who fought alongside the regular forces on a mercenary basis. These were led by their own aristocrats and equipped in traditional fashion.

One may also remember the tradition of having Scottish units in the service of French kings (see Quentin Durward by Walter Scott) or Swiss guards at papal court. Even French foreign legion may be considered such a unit. Were/are all those nazi practices?

Buddhist, I doubt, but others, yes...
    The source, please.

Blog Entries

Hm, macron got a majority.

All the power, the responsibility, the blame, is his.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Hm, macron got a majority.

All the power, the responsibility, the blame, is his.
    I heard that he brought to the parliament a considerable number of people totally new to politics. Perhaps electorate are tired of seeing the same faces in the parliament, so it is a response to a demand for changing the ruling elite.

The source, please.
    All Ospey -Men at Arms series about Foreign Volunteers and Waffen SS would be a good start.
    https://ospreypublishing.com/store/m...ks/men-at-arms

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

All Ospey -Men at Arms series about Foreign Volunteers and Waffen SS would be a good start.
    https://ospreypublishing.com/store/m...ks/men-at-arms
    The Buddhist ones beeing Kalmyk former soviet POWs.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast