Thread: "Castle" upgrades

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question "Castle" upgrades

Each "Castle" level has a number of possible "Castle" upgrades, including Tower upgrades ( e.g. Catapult Towers ).

If you assault a Citadel, does it automatically have the Tower upgrades ( e.g. Catapult Towers as well as Bow Towers ), that applied to the previous Level of "Castle" or would Catapult Towers only be in situe if actually noted in the provinces "Buildings" area ?

[ NB : Evidently, if I am unable to see ( Spy ) on the particular provinces "Buildings" area, I would have to attack "blind" ( as it were ) anyway. ]

Thanks

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: "Castle" upgrades

Hi DEB8 - each level of castle has progressively more destructive towers built into its basic structure. So the walls of a keep have arrow towers, a castle will have some arrow towers and some ballista towers, and a citadel will have some arrow towers, ballista towers and catapult towers. IIRC a fortress also has some gun towers.

The easy way to check it out is to open up the Map Editor feature and take a look at the maps in one of the castle groups - that will show all the various towers in any particular level
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Noted.

[ That's roughly what I expected... ]

Thanks.

Am I right in thinking that the advantage in constructing the in-between levels (e.g. ballista towers, catapult towers) is that a castle will automatically downgrade one "level" if taken by storm, so it's a way to prevent losing your whole upgrade?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: "Castle" upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the advantage in constructing the in-between levels (e.g. ballista towers, catapult towers) is that a castle will automatically downgrade one "level" if taken by storm, so it's a way to prevent losing your whole upgrade?
    It's been very long since I last played M:TW, but I think that was the case. It's a dubious benefit, however, since you will have lost the castle to the enemy anyway. And because the basic structure isn't downgraded, you will have to spend longer besieging it (or storm it while it contains a greater garrison) to retake it.

The main benefit of the upgrades is that it causes the enemy to take greater losses during an assault. Whether that is worth it on a strategic level is something that depends on other factors.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

--- like if the enemy walks next to the walls from one side to the other while taking castle hits?