Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Castle" upgrades

Question "Castle" upgrades

Each "Castle" level has a number of possible "Castle" upgrades, including Tower upgrades ( e.g. Catapult Towers ).

If you assault a Citadel, does it automatically have the Tower upgrades ( e.g. Catapult Towers as well as Bow Towers ), that applied to the previous Level of "Castle" or would Catapult Towers only be in situe if actually noted in the provinces "Buildings" area ?

[ NB : Evidently, if I am unable to see ( Spy ) on the particular provinces "Buildings" area, I would have to attack "blind" ( as it were ) anyway. ]

Thanks

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: "Castle" upgrades

Hi DEB8 - each level of castle has progressively more destructive towers built into its basic structure. So the walls of a keep have arrow towers, a castle will have some arrow towers and some ballista towers, and a citadel will have some arrow towers, ballista towers and catapult towers. IIRC a fortress also has some gun towers.

The easy way to check it out is to open up the Map Editor feature and take a look at the maps in one of the castle groups - that will show all the various towers in any particular level
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Noted.

[ That's roughly what I expected... ]

Thanks.

Am I right in thinking that the advantage in constructing the in-between levels (e.g. ballista towers, catapult towers) is that a castle will automatically downgrade one "level" if taken by storm, so it's a way to prevent losing your whole upgrade?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: "Castle" upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the advantage in constructing the in-between levels (e.g. ballista towers, catapult towers) is that a castle will automatically downgrade one "level" if taken by storm, so it's a way to prevent losing your whole upgrade?
    It's been very long since I last played M:TW, but I think that was the case. It's a dubious benefit, however, since you will have lost the castle to the enemy anyway. And because the basic structure isn't downgraded, you will have to spend longer besieging it (or storm it while it contains a greater garrison) to retake it.

The main benefit of the upgrades is that it causes the enemy to take greater losses during an assault. Whether that is worth it on a strategic level is something that depends on other factors.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

--- like if the enemy walks next to the walls from one side to the other while taking castle hits?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Always loved those castle upgrades, shame there weren't more of them...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I rarely used them as the ones needing them were generally new acquisitions and the ones that could build them were in safe areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    And...

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    It's been very long since I last played M:TW, but I think that was the case. It's a dubious benefit, however, since you will have lost the castle to the enemy anyway. And because the basic structure isn't downgraded, you will have to spend longer besieging it (or storm it while it contains a greater garrison) to retake it.
    Nah, it is da other way around... A Castle takes damage/downgrades if one takes it by siege, and no damage if it is taken by storm. I have many times stormed castles because I did not want them to downgrade. So, the whole point of upgrading castles between each major stage (Keep --- Castle etc.) is nominal - it does get slightly tougher to storm by each upgrade (and to siege too?). All max garrison levels are standardized with the big 4-5 stages so there is no change/gain to be had there (in raw MTW anyways).

One can do little about all this in terms of modding. I certainly tried, but with
    only a few parameters to work with, one can only take these things so far.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-19-2017 at 08:28.

Member thankful for this post:

Ludens 

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: "Castle" upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Nah, it is da other way around... A Castle takes damage/downgrades if one takes it by siege, and no damage if it is taken by storm. I have many times stormed castles because I did not want them to downgrade. So, the whole point of upgrading castles between each major stage (Keep --- Castle etc.) is nominal - it does get slightly tougher to storm by each upgrade (and to siege too?). All max garrison levels are standardized with the big 4-5 stages so there is no change/gain to be had there (in raw MTW anyways).
    Strange that a siege does more damage than an assault, but it makes sense from a gameplay perspective. Thanks for the correction, anyway. Like I wrote, it's been a while since I played the game.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Beg to differ, but castles DO take damage when taken by storm - they usually lose a level. When you take a bottom level castle you'll end up with no castle left standing. I have had very rare occasions when a castle has not been slighted by the experience, but it is very very rare (for me at least...) and it always seems to be a keep that avoids being knocked down to fort/motte/bailley.

Discussion forum thread

I think that depends on you. Destruction is whatever you destroy when storming.

I have now examined this stuff first hand, today... Due to Macs post... Here are my results...

Case 1 - West Africa
    Castle level 2

Stormed --- No damage

Case 2 - Mauritania
    Castle level 1

Stormed --- No damage

Case 3 - Corsica
    Castle level 1

Stormed --- No damage

Case 4 - Toulouse
    Castle level 9

Stormed --- No damage

Case 5 - Tripolitania
    Castle level 1

Stormed --- No damage

It is possible that CA changed the mechanics for V.2.01 - it would explain your conflicting claims. Otherwise, this is how MTW works. Storm a castle and it takes no damage - siege it, and it starts taking damage...
    I leave it to active V.2.01-users to examine/explore that possibility. In V.1.1 - upon which V.2.01 is built - this is how things are, feel free to confirm that (in the game) at any time.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-20-2017 at 11:24. Reason: formatting...

Hi Axalon - yes, I only play in 2.01 so there may be differences included in that version. I've been watching a few of my castle storms today, and it actually looks VARIABLE now! I had a fort+motte drop to fort, but a fort+motte+bailley stay as it was, and then a fort go to nothing...
    so there are differences between cases in the same campaign. The question is, is this just random, or are there reasons behind it in the battle???

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    Hi Axalon - yes, I only play in 2.01 so there may be differences included in that version. I've been watching a few of my castle storms today, and it actually looks VARIABLE now! I had a fort+motte drop to fort, but a fort+motte+bailley stay as it was, and then a fort go to nothing...
    so there are differences between cases in the same campaign. The question is, is this just random, or are there reasons behind it in the battle???
    I have 2.01 and I have spotted the same regularity Axalon speaks about. I can't wager that it ALWAYS goes this way, but by storming a castle you have more probability it will stay intact than by starving it out. I remember once I stormed a fort and its walls were breached so much that it was a miracle it was still standing. Yet it didn't take any damage, as the campaign map showed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

I love how almost 15 years after the game has been released we still find new stuff about it.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I love how almost 15 years after the game has been released we still find new stuff about it.
    Yep - and it also reminds us that what we've seen a few times might not actually happen EVERY time

I don't often let a castle fall by starvation - I usually storm it, or take it by subterfuge (spies or emissaries) to avoid any damage to the region's infrastructure. Often as not a bribe works out cheaper than rebuilding, and of course it's quicker...

In my current campaign it seems about 50/50 whether a stormed castle takes damage, but I can't claim a statistically robust sample size yet.

Discussion forum thread

Speaking of castle upgrades... I never got to do this. How effective are those culverin / bombard towers?

Proud

Been to:

How effective are those culverin / bombard towers?
    Like all things MTW, it seems to depend which side you're on - if you're assaulting then they manage to knock out your artillery quite reliably, if you're defending they never seem to hit the artillery battering down your walls (ie typical AI cheating )

Discussion forum thread

I'd say not very since, in general, by the time a city can build one, there's almost zero chance it will get attacked. I have built them "just because".

Member thankful for this post:

In my current campaign it seems about 50/50 whether a stormed castle takes damage, but I can't claim a statistically robust sample size yet.
    I have MTW+VI Gold Edition and the results here seem to vary dependent on the level of the "Castle" !

[ Keeps and above : Storms = No damage , Siege = damage ; Below Keeps ( particularly in VI ) : Storms = damage , Siege = Unknown ( I usually storm these... ). ]

Speaking of castle upgrades... I never got to do this. How effective are those culverin / bombard towers?
    They are even worse than field versions. They are placed on the top of the towers so their minimal range is longer than in normal battle. The moment a unit comes close enough their terrible accuracy doesn't matter they stop shooting and choose another target. It really looks like the crews are full of pacifists that tries not to harm anyone. IMHO they are just waste of time and money. Of course, it depends on playstyle but when I have to defend against siege it means I did something wrong (usually advanced too quickly).
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Like all things MTW, it seems to depend which side you're on - if you're assaulting then they manage to knock out your artillery quite reliably, if you're defending they never seem to hit the artillery battering down your walls (ie typical AI cheating )
    Whilst I tend to agree that the AI does cheat somewhat here, it does so much more ( IMHO ) when Storming a "Castle". When I am Storming, my Artillery take a while to knock things down, and Guns are poor at hitting Towers. Whereas the AI knocks Walls down in 2-3 shots ( via a pair of Catapults or a single Bombard )... So so annoying !!!

I always liked those pop up displays with description and artwork surrounding the castles and castle upgrades, they look cool.

+ of course, in fact, ALL of the artwork

Proud

Been to:

Yep - and it also reminds us that what we've seen a few times might not actually happen EVERY time

I don't often let a castle fall by starvation - I usually storm it, or take it by subterfuge (spies or emissaries) to avoid any damage to the region's infrastructure. Often as not a bribe works out cheaper than rebuilding, and of course it's quicker...

More inexplicable still is the destruction of the province port after you starve out the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

I would do this more for pvp play no AI play.You can keep a 1 or 2 units of peasants in the keep.This is if you are defending it and all depends on what faction you are.

It would have been nice to still destroy castle gates with infantry.

Proud

Been to:

It would have been nice to still destroy castle gates with infantry.
    In my game ( MTW+VI Gold Edition ), you can ( but try )...

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    In my game ( MTW+VI Gold Edition ), you can ( but try )...
    You can in MTW - in the others you cant.

Proud

Been to:

You can in MTW - in the others you cant.
    So why the comment ( as this is the MTW forum ) ???

[ i.e. What "others" are you referring to here ? ]
    Last edited by DEB8; 08-21-2017 at 18:04.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast