Thread: The Gambia's history of indecisiveness

Default The Gambia's history of indecisiveness

So, Mr. Jammeh peacefully rules the prosperous land of Gambia for more than 20 years, until the unfortunate year of 2017, as in the previous month, the good president failed to win the fifth election, in the row. Naively, Mr. Jammeh accepted the result, why not? Why would he ignore his people's will, for Christ's sake?
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ga...-idUSKBN13S0KE

Well, it turned out that there was actually an election-fraud, not by the childishly benevolent regime government, but by the evil opposition. So, our dearest of all our presidents (two, in total, Jammeh included) was forced to reject the results. That resulted in terrorist acts committed by the para-militaries of the opposition and dire threats thrown by the imperialist neighbors of Ghana, which have set en eye on its valuable resources.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...h-adama-barrow
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ga...-idUSKBN13Z09D

He's right, his defeat is logically impossible, as he said in 2011, when he took more than 70% of the votes.
    "In 17 years, I have delivered more development than the British were able to deliver in 400 years. Do I look like a loser? There is no way I can lose unless you tell me that all Gambian people are mad."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-15897134

Gambia has a problem of naive leadership. Mr. Jammeh's predecessor, the almost equally good President Jawara also announced that in his 70s, he will step down from politics. Then, he changed his mind, because he recognized that Gambia needs a wise ruler to navigate through the seas of unknown, won the elections with 56% of the votes and got toppled in a coup revolution by Mr. Jammeh.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawda_Jawara#1994_coup

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gambia's history of indecisiveness

200 years, actually, give or take a decade.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 01-19-2017 at 11:48.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Often seems the only thing worse than having the colonial powers in charge is having the locals in charge.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Often seems the only thing worse than having the colonial powers in charge is having the locals in charge.

True for every country except Germany of course.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    True for every country except Germany of course.
    Are you referencing Germany's "enlightened" handling of its African colonies during the Victorian and Edwardian eras or the mélange of 'colonial' governments in Post WW2 Germany?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Are you referencing Germany's "enlightened" handling of its African colonies during the Victorian and Edwardian eras or the mélange of 'colonial' governments in Post WW2 Germany?
    I am referring to two things: Firstly the idea that the locals in countries such as *ahem* Britain and the USA *ahem* recently made terrible decisions according to a very large number of outside, and also inside, observers. With the added bonus that one of these actually was a colony before and the other had/has foreign rulers of sorts. And secondly I was jokingly referring to the last German attempt to make the world its colony.

I would obviously never bring up the idea that colonial rule could be more terrible than a dictatorship because that would mean I hate myself according to certain people, so maybe the second reference wasn't so jokingly after all.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is odd how the EU is becoming close to a religion - even thinking of leaving it is sinful and means people are xenophobic - even though the EU itself is extremely slow to engage with all outside countries.

The main reason that leaving the EU is such a Bad Idea is that the rest of the EU is unlikely to agree to a free trade deal. After all, if one could trade freely with EU countries, why would one put up with all the baggage...?

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

I am referring to two things: Firstly the idea that the locals in countries such as *ahem* Britain and the USA *ahem* recently made terrible decisions according to a very large number of outside, and also inside, observers. With the added bonus that one of these actually was a colony before and the other had/has foreign rulers of sorts. And secondly I was jokingly referring to the last German attempt to make the world its colony.

I would obviously never bring up the idea that colonial rule could be more terrible than a dictatorship because that would mean I hate myself according to certain people, so maybe the second reference wasn't so jokingly after all.
    And there ya go again. Telling us off for intervening in Iraq, whilst simultaneously telling me off for arguing that, as a result of Iraq, we shouldn't be intervening anywhere again. When people like yourself say that we're wrong either way, what incentive is there for doing anything? Let Germany take care of it all, if they so wish.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    It is odd how the EU is becoming close to a religion - even thinking of leaving it is sinful and means people are xenophobic - even though the EU itself is extremely slow to engage with all outside countries.

The main reason that leaving the EU is such a Bad Idea is that the rest of the EU is unlikely to agree to a free trade deal. After all, if one could trade freely with EU countries, why would one put up with all the baggage...?

I'd say some, perhaps most, of the reasons for leaving the EU are bad, but I'm not stopping anyone.
    And if you got the right to do what you think is best for you, so does the EU, everyone should be happy.
    Same goes for Africa of course, since that was the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    And there ya go again. Telling us off for intervening in Iraq, whilst simultaneously telling me off for arguing that, as a result of Iraq, we shouldn't be intervening anywhere again. When people like yourself say that we're wrong either way, what incentive is there for doing anything? Let Germany take care of it all, if they so wish.
    I don't even know where Iraq is coming from again, my point was that you'd all be better off under Hitler since you locals can't be trusted to rule yourselves.

Apparently, events continue in Gambia and neighboring Senegal:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...170745954.html

Gambia's President Adama Barrow has taken the oath of office in neighbouring Senegal, calling for international support as troops from regional forces entered the small West African country to ensure he assumes power.

Longtime ruler Yahya Jammeh, who came to power in a 1994 coup, has refused to step down despite losing a disputed December 1 presidential election, deepening a political crisis.

Barrow, who had recently sought shelter in Senegal, was inaugurated on Thursday in a hastily-arranged ceremony at Gambia's embassy in the Senegalese capital, Dakar.

Apparently, events continue in Gambia and neighboring Senegal:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...170745954.html
    And even more Senegal in Gambia:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38682184
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    And even more Senegal in Gambia:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38682184
    Read the first sentence in the quote from my article again:

Gambia's President Adama Barrow has taken the oath of office in neighbouring Senegal, calling for international support as troops from regional forces entered the small West African country to ensure he assumes power.

But yeah, let's hope they can get it done peacefully.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Gambia's history of indecisiveness

Going to troll you all by correcting the title. It is "The Gambia", not "Gambia". They officially called themselves that, so people don't confuse it with Zambia.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Going to troll you all by correcting the title. It is "The Gambia", not "Gambia". They officially called themselves that, so people don't confuse it with Zambia.
    You realise that was a legitimate mod edit and not trolling.

However, if I were to suggest you can't tell the difference, that would be trolling.

As Regards to Husar's jokes, I don't think they're very pointed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38682184

Either the outgoing President will roll over, or he won't. I read something earlier today where the commander of the army said he wasn't getting involved, and neither were his soldiers.

Let us hope.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    As Regards to Husar's jokes, I don't think they're very pointed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38682184
    Is that supposed to be some kind of joke?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Is that supposed to be some kind of joke?
    No, I just don't think they're applicable.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

No, I just don't think they're applicable.
    You posted the exact same link Gilrandir posted. But yes, let's hope together.

Good news, it seems like the old president agreed to step down after all.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...184330091.html

Gambia's new president has said that Yahya Jammeh, who ruled the country for 22 years and refused for weeks to step down after losing the recent election, has finally "agreed to leave".

Writing on Twitter on Friday, Adama Barrow said Jammeh would also leave the country.

"I would like to inform you that Yahya Jammeh has agreed to step down. He is scheduled to depart Gambia today. #NewGambia," he tweeted.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Good news, it seems like the old president agreed to step down after all.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...184330091.html
    Was it the foreign armed forces camped outside the capital mayhap?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You realise that was a legitimate mod edit and not trolling.

However, if I were to suggest you can't tell the difference, that would be trolling.
    Was trolling in the sense that being pedantic is not required, but I did so, because it would be faintly amusing to correct something petty even if it is accurate.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-21-2017 at 15:10.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Seeing the international force was partly made of Togolese soldiers gives this victory of Democracy a slightly bitter taste, by the way.

Faure Gnassingbe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faure_Gnassingb%C3%A9 , son of his father and one of the last remnants of good old Françafrique left. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7afrique

Hope for the best for Gambians anyway! And a little masterpiece of Gambian music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oToZfPGMMBY
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!