Page 24 of 95 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Thread

Default Re: Trump Thread

An investigation on Trump's Russian connections:
    https://twitter.com/lheron/status/864864026282659840
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 05-18-2017 at 11:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Why are you dying on this hill? Of all them men to defend, you choose the one setting fire to our institutions.
    I'll defend Trump if he's in the right.... He just often isn't.

As for setting fire to our institutions, I think that's a bit hyperbolic. An incompetent like Trump is more likely to set his own hair on fire. The only "good move" of Trump's that I can readily point to was nominating Gorsuch to the SCOTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Just wait until next week's trip to the middle east. Who knew the Israeli-Palestinian conflict could be so hard to resolve?
    Trump is grandiose, even in his self-pity.
    "He’s a rich kid turned billionaire playboy turned president whining about how unfair life is"
    Last edited by Xiahou; 05-18-2017 at 12:51.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Then I name you an unreliable judge of character who has become accustomed to letting his news outlet do his thinking for him, with all the folly that entails.
    Taking the contrarian view is not always a sign of wisdom or intelligence.

Are we done?
    I have yet to begun to defile myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I'll defend Trump if he's in the right.... He just often isn't.

As for setting fire to our institutions, I think that's a bit hyperbolic. An incompetent like Trump is more likely to set his own hair on fire. The only "good move" of Trump's that I can readily point to was nominating Gorsuch to the SCOTUS.
    He is the logical endgame of wedge issues and Reagan republicans. I like Gorsuch, Democrats folded when the turtle didn't.

I am just growing tired of people defending the man. He is totally unfit to hold office. The country screwed up and in a few months there will be evidence he sold out his republic to the yellow bellied reds. Hell he may not even realize he did it because of his pig headed myopia.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 05-18-2017 at 17:04.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

So among the terrible things the Trump Junta has done since being inaugurated is Betsy Devoss. Betsy got rich because of her Fathers pyramid scheme. Betsy used these riches to curry favor with Donald. But instead of doing the respectable thing and giving her a cushy ambassadorship, he made her Secretary of Education. Betsys qualifications being she once attended school. Betsys brother also has a merry band of mercenaries for hire. It is not really relevant here beyond my desire to further assail her character.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.97b7a0e05f11

School choice is a term with many different meanings. Betsy meaning is "dismantle the school system"

The public education system in America is where children learn to be Americans. We are an extremely diverse country, we need a touchstone, the school system is at least part of that touchstone. Betsy is part of a capitalist class that feeds off of division, infighting, and weak civic institutions. Gutting the public school system furthers an agenda for a very tiny minority of people.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

So among the terrible things the Trump Junta has done since being inaugurated is Betsy Devoss. Betsy got rich because of her Fathers pyramid scheme. Betsy used these riches to curry favor with Donald. But instead of doing the respectable thing and giving her a cushy ambassadorship, he made her Secretary of Education. Betsys qualifications being she once attended school. Betsys brother also has a merry band of mercenaries for hire. It is not really relevant here beyond my desire to further assail her character.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.97b7a0e05f11

School choice is a term with many different meanings. Betsy meaning is "dismantle the school system"

The public education system in America is where children learn to be Americans. We are an extremely diverse country, we need a touchstone, the school system is at least part of that touchstone. Betsy is part of a capitalist class that feeds off of division, infighting, and weak civic institutions. Gutting the public school system furthers an agenda for a very tiny minority of people.
    Funnily enough, the British PM is further to the right on this than the majority of the Tory party, this being one of her pet issues. May is pretty much on the same page as Devoss, while most of the Tory party at least pay some respect to what you talk of.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Why are you dying on this hill? Of all them men to defend, you choose the one setting fire to our institutions.
    Not dying on that hill. Just pointing out the irrationality of that stuff as well. Trump's FoPo is reactive and full of grandstanding. His DoPo is stalled and much of his power neutered. He will spend more time defending his admin from self-inflicted wounds of the tongue than he will governing. I doubt impeachment, but the looming threat of it will also stifle his actions. The Dems lost both houses AND the White House, but THEY will drive what few policy advances are made, not the GOP.

But the activist judge stuff does get old. The first version of that order should have been bounced -- special treatment of Christians? -- but the second version was actually within the scope of exec authority.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Most of the GOP leadership is probably dirty with Russian money, either directly or indirectly (looking away while others did it).

Chaffez is leaving less than a year after being re-elected only a few weeks after stating he would not run again...someone is in a hurry to get the hell out.

I agree with much of what you said in this post and the last, so I won't quote it or respond to it- that'd be boring.

But, I disagree here. Our public school system is a shambles and it needs disrupted. School districts everywhere are rife with corruption and waste. Teacher's unions prioritize protecting bad employees over teaching children and rewarding excellence. We spend near the top of the list per student for public schooling, yet consistently perform near the bottom. I'm ok with dismantling that system.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Most of the GOP our political leadership is probably dirty with Russian money, either directly or indirectly (looking away while others did it).

FIFY

Both sides are filthy with Russian money. I don't think there's anything uniquely Russian about it either. If someone, somewhere is willing to spread cash around, there's politicians that will line up to sell favors. Sad, but true.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I agree with much of what you said in this post and the last, so I won't quote it or respond to it- that'd be boring.

But, I disagree here. Our public school system is a shambles and it needs disrupted. School districts everywhere are rife with corruption and waste. Teacher's unions prioritize protecting bad employees over teaching children and rewarding excellence. We spend near the top of the list per student for public schooling, yet consistently perform near the bottom. I'm ok with dismantling that system.
    On the other hand, that spending is very unevenly distributed. This is exacerbated when so much of public school funding is linked to local property tax collections: money out = money in.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

FIFY

Both sides are filthy with Russian money. I don't think there's anything uniquely Russian about it either. If someone, somewhere is willing to spread cash around, there's politicians that will line up to sell favors. Sad, but true.
    I think both left and right agrees that Hillary and Putin were not good friends. I doubt she was getting any of those payouts, directly or indirectly.

So, will Trump be sticking to prepared speeches or are we going to get Foreign Policy on the Fly from his world tour.
    No hot spots here, just Saudi Arabia, Israel, Italy, the Vatican, Belgium.
    What could possibly go wrong?
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Blog Entries

Taking the contrarian view is not always a sign of wisdom or intelligence.
    Taking the conformist view is not always a sign of wisdom or intelligence.

I am just growing tired of people defending the man. He is totally unfit to hold office. The country screwed up and in a few months there will be evidence he sold out his republic to the yellow bellied reds. Hell he may not even realize he did it because of his pig headed myopia.
    I, on the other hand, am long tired of people who demonizing the man, despite the glut of legitimate criticism they should be satisfied airing, and I am becoming despairing of people swallowing that demonization as god's truth.

We have heard nothing but assertations and claims from sources that are notorious for misdirection and fabrication, yet no less than two of our once distunguishing regulars are now emulating Mcarthy!

A link and a remark. Have you become Hopalong now?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-20-2017 at 01:21.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    So, will Trump be sticking to prepared speeches or are we going to get Foreign Policy on the Fly from his world tour.
    I don't get the widespread drama about this. You can expect fluff, the man is on the oil payroll.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 05-20-2017 at 02:30.

Israel is always a hot spot. And SA is the key player in the region and arguably a generator of hot spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Israel is always a hot spot. And SA is the key player in the region and arguably a generator of hot spots.
    I recommend yet another readjustment of your sarcasm detector.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I recommend yet another readjustment of your sarcasm detector.
    Any upgrades or patches you would recommend?

So far Trump is on script with no major changes to speak of.
    The "Trump budget" is being sent to Congress; its 800 billion in cuts seems to be a wish list, what Congress can actually pass should be quite different.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN18I26X
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

So far Trump is on script with no major changes to speak of.
    The "Trump budget" is being sent to Congress; its 800 billion in cuts seems to be a wish list, what Congress can actually pass should be quite different.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN18I26X
    You do know that that is SOP for Washington DC budgets, yes? That is true regardless of who the current occupant of the White House is.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Watching the news coverage of the Russia/Flynn/Comey scandal, I have a feeling that Trump is actually going to come out of this stronger than he was.

Flynn is the only real issue, but as he was fired, it's hardly an impeachable offense, and even that is a stretch. The idea that Trump is a Russian puppet is ludicrous and firing Comey is well within his authority, whether people agree with it or not.

He will then appear as a man who survived the "fake media" witch hunt. And the liberal media, that is actually guilty of getting on the bandwagon of comedy shows and viral social network stories will need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. They helped him win the presidency and now they're gonna help him solidify his position. It's all about ratings and clicks, who cares that there's a spoiled brat in the Oval Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Watching the news coverage of the Russia/Flynn/Comey scandal, I have a feeling that Trump is actually going to come out of this stronger than he was.

Flynn is the only real issue, but as he was fired, it's hardly an impeachable offense, and even that is a stretch. The idea that Trump is a Russian puppet is ludicrous and firing Comey is well within his authority, whether people agree with it or not.

He will then appear as a man who survived the "fake media" witch hunt. And the liberal media, that is actually guilty of getting on the bandwagon of comedy shows and viral social network stories will need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. They helped him win the presidency and now they're gonna help him solidify his position. It's all about ratings and clicks, who cares that there's a spoiled brat in the Oval Office.
    At 70, the label "brat" really doesn't apply anymore. Childish or Child-like behaviors, perhaps...

Agree with you on the impeachment effort fizzle. Somewhat to mostly agree on the media witch hunt stuff creating a "boomerang" of support among his core supporters. However, his ability to get meaningful legislation through is and will likely remain limited. This will undercut his ability to fulfill promises to his core support group. Since he was elected on the basis of doing those thing despite Washington intransigence, when he has to face his votes and note that he was not able to overcome that intransigence, he will inevitably lose some of that thin edge of support that elected him.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    At 70, the label "brat" really doesn't apply anymore. Childish or Child-like behaviors, perhaps...

Agree with you on the impeachment effort fizzle. Somewhat to mostly agree on the media witch hunt stuff creating a "boomerang" of support among his core supporters. However, his ability to get meaningful legislation through is and will likely remain limited. This will undercut his ability to fulfill promises to his core support group. Since he was elected on the basis of doing those thing despite Washington intransigence, when he has to face his votes and note that he was not able to overcome that intransigence, he will inevitably lose some of that thin edge of support that elected him.
    Why is ability to pass legislation limited when his party rules all three branches of government?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Why is ability to pass legislation limited when his party rules all three branches of government?
    Well, because he's secretly a Democrat stalking horse designed to get Clinton elected, remember?

That went well.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I remember correctly, Obama was attacked repeatedly for this when he had a Democrat majority due to the "Blue Dogs".
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Remember, our "parties" have less cohesiveness then yours by a good bit and individual pols routinely ignore the party platform if it suits their political agenda. This is more true of the current GOP than of the Dems.

The "establishment" GOP has only moderately less use than mainline Dems for Trump. They do not want the emphatic changes that Trump seeks, especially on the border and with international trade.

I think right now the GOP appreciates the cover Trump gives them.
    They can finesse it so that the draconian budget proposal should allow them to pass something more moderate and appear in command. How moderate? Absent Democratic support they will likely have to mollify the Freedom Caucus.
    Some form of tax breaks seem to be a given.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

I think right now the GOP appreciates the cover Trump gives them.
    They can finesse it so that the draconian budget proposal should allow them to pass something more moderate and appear in command. How moderate? Absent Democratic support they will likely have to mollify the Freedom Caucus.
    Some form of tax breaks seem to be a given.
    Some form of tax break or reorganization was more or less ubiquitous among GOP campaigners. And YES, all such presidential budget proposals are no more than an opening bid. Of course, as with most government budgets I expect, the whole thing is designed around distributive bargaining and is horribly short-sighted.

Some well-meaning trolling from Mexico:

Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Wooooo!!!

Page 24 of 95 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast