Page 27 of 95 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Thread

Default Re: Trump Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Personally, we might give the days of the imperial executive, independent of Congress (and first among equals in the party) another shot.

Post-1974 has been executive by committee, corporate boardroom style, or maybe like 1990s Chinese CP. I don't see that you can bundle a weak executive, weak central party control, and a strong Congress in itself, let alone ...
    The imperial executive is unstable in the long term, even in the medium term. We had a future president (nixon) direct his team to commit treason in order to undermine the re-election of the sitting president.

I don't see that you can invoke Roman notions of princepe civitates without any awareness of how quickly augustian/trajan rule devolves into nero/commodus.

The imperial executive is unstable in the long term, even in the medium term.
    That's not a weakness while cyclical factors remain at play in our life. There are no long-term stable power-sharing structures, "mature democracy" or no. The contemporary executive looks the way it does in the context of a federal government (and counterparts in Europe and Asia) preoccupied with security and maintenance rather than with expansion. If we could say it were possible to take a particular direction in the future, I would prefer the old example over the trend toward endless compartmentalization of governance. That doesn't mean that a modern strong executive would act like a 20th-century executive, that the world would look or run like a 20th-century world, or that the state would bend toward the narrow social democracy many on the left pine for as the unfulfilled promise of those days - but I would like to see how such a thing would play out in its new ways, and what kind of world could produce it.

I don't see that you can invoke Roman notions of princepe civitates without any awareness of how quickly augustian/trajan rule devolves into nero/commodus.
    I was just talking with respect to party leadership; it's not necessary to think in this kind of analogy. Nixon was not like Nero or Commodus vis-a-vis an FDR Hadrian (or what have you).
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Apparently two Attorney's General (Maryland and D.C.) have decided to test the emoluments clause applicability to Trump's situation.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...sident-n771081

This looks complicated :) Is a transaction to a related organization/corporation directly tied to an office holder, within the scope of the clause?
    Is "just business" even a defence?
    Weren't these issues raised at Trump's inauguration? (yes) and solved? (sort of-questionable att if the measures were sufficient; clear that the measures were implemented haphazardly)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

That's not a weakness while cyclical factors remain at play in our life. There are no long-term stable power-sharing structures, "mature democracy" or no. The contemporary executive looks the way it does in the context of a federal government (and counterparts in Europe and Asia) preoccupied with security and maintenance rather than with expansion. If we could say it were possible to take a particular direction in the future, I would prefer the old example over the trend toward endless compartmentalization of governance. That doesn't mean that a modern strong executive would act like a 20th-century executive, that the world would look or run like a 20th-century world, or that the state would bend toward the narrow social democracy many on the left pine for as the unfulfilled promise of those days - but I would like to see how such a thing would play out in its new ways, and what kind of world could produce it.

I was just talking with respect to party leadership; it's not necessary to think in this kind of analogy. Nixon was not like Nero or Commodus vis-a-vis an FDR Hadrian (or what have you).
    Do you have an equivalent of an independent unelected civil service?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

So apparently someone has floated a ballon that Trump will fire Mueller.

be still, my heart.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

This balloon is bigger, HUUUGER! than the Hindenburg baby!
    It appears Mueller is just another partisan hack intent on dimming the bright light that is Trump.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...rogates-239447

Of course it might be a continuation of deny, deflect and defame any critic of the administration,
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Pence resigns. Trump appoints B Sanders VEEP. Senate Confirms. Trump resigns. Media switches to "at last all will be as it should" mode.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (3):

Jeff Sessions is a Law and Order kinda guy.
    He seems to be preparing for a new "war on drugs"
    Those ppl you know who are treating pain, PTSD, depression, nausea, insomnia...etc. with medical marijuana might just be criminals!
    If Sessions has his way, it seems they will be treated as such:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-on-marijuana/

No point in letting a reason to jail people go to waste
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Wooooo!!!

sigh trump

The world gets a little crazier
    Trump likely under investigation for obstruction now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b98_story.html

Mueller won't comment, so this relies on the veracity of the ever present unnamed source.
    The Trump team seems to pretty much shrug and say "He brought it on himself":

http://www.thedailybeast.com/even-tr...his-to-himself

It would make a cool movie if the premise was a bit more believable...
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 06-15-2017 at 11:30.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

A good summary of where we are with Trump investigation and how we got here:

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/14/532985...ion-of-justice
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Putin offers Comey asylum

Too clever by far.
    Vitiate Man.

Husar 

Too clever by far.
    He will have to share a room with Snowden?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Blog Entries

I would kill to be a fly on that wall.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Too clever by far.
    See Donald, this is how you troll people.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Husar 

Now he wants to reestablish the Cuban ban. Saw a bit iof his speech and two things made me laugh:

1. "Stop jailing innocent people!": How about he begins in his own country? He chose an attourney general who wants to jail a lot more people and for longer if they get caught smoking a joint. The largest prison population in the world (including larger countries), but telling other not to jail so many people...

2. "Stop jailing people for political dissidence!": Hilarious, who just bragged about a 110 billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia? And how many political dissidents did he see or meet there?

The selective morals, double standard and catering to political groups are dripping out of this speech like BBQ sauce out of a burger...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Mission Accomplished!

Putin got real value for his investment in Trump; China has done well also.
    Its nice to see a two-for in foreign policy:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/100295454/
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    1. "Stop jailing innocent people!": How about he begins in his own country?
    And it would be good if he pays attention to jailing the guilty ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Now I gotta go on ancestry.com and pray that there is someone from cuba in my family tree so I can claim I need to go there for rum "family".

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Now I gotta go on ancestry.com and pray that there is someone from cuba in my family tree so I can claim I need to go there for rum "family".
    Or you could go to a sane country, where Cuban rum can be bought in every supermarket and liquor store.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Or you could go to a sane country, where Cuban rum can be bought in every supermarket and liquor store.
    In a high-school history class on the subject of the Cuban embargo:

Me: But it doesn't exist in other countries, so couldn't you just like go to Canada and fly to Cuba?
    Teacher: YOU COULD ALSO MURDER SOMEONE, THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD
    Me:

And she wasn't Cuban or (visibly) conservative or anything.
    Vitiate Man.

Husar 

Blog Entries

Navy jet shoots down Syrian warplane that attacked US-backed rebels

Published June 18, 2017
    Fox News

A U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet launches from the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) in the Mediterranean Sea June 28, 2016.

A U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet launches from the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) in the Mediterranean Sea June 28, 2016. (U.S. Navy/Reuters)

A U.S. Navy fighter jet shot down a Syrian government warplane after it attacked Washington-backed fighters near ISIS' de facto capital of Raqqa, the U.S.-led coalition said Sunday.

In a statement, the coalition headquarters in Iraq said that a F/A-18E Super Hornet shot down a Syrian Su-22 that had dropped bombs near positions held by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

The statement said coalition aircraft had "conducted a show of force" to turn back an attack by Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad's forces on the SDF in the town of Ja'Din, south of Tabqah.

The coalition said the shootdown took place "in accordance with rules of engagement and in collective self-defense of Coalition partnered forces."

The statement said "a number of SDF fighters" were wounded in the regime's attack, but did not specify further. The coalition also said that Russian officers had been contacted on a special "de-confliction" hotline in an effort to halt the assault.

"The Coalition's mission is to defeat ISIS in Iraq and Syria," its statement said. "The Coalition does not seek to fight Syrian regime, Russian, or pro-regime forces partnered with them, but will not hesitate to defend Coalition or partner forces from any threat."
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

The article mentions US planes bombed Syrian troops within a govt zone a few weeks ago after downing a hostile drone.

I can't find anything mentioning a bombing immediately prior to the downing of the drone, but there was one around the same area of An(Al? At?)-Tanf (near one of the largest de-confliction zones in Syria) back in mid-May.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-19-2017 at 03:40.
    Vitiate Man.

Russia to attack US coalition planes over Syria from now on

Russia has said it will treat US warplanes operating in parts of Syria where its air forces are also present as "targets" amid a diplomatic row caused by the downing of a Syrian jet.

The country's defence ministry said it would track US-led coalition aircraft with missile systems and military aircraft, but stopped short of saying it would shoot them down.

A hotline set up between Russia and the US to prevent mid-air collisions will also be suspended.

That wouldn't be the first time.

It could happen again.
    Wooooo!!!

Democrats lose another special election.

At this point, just let them have a super majority and burn down the welfare state. If you can't find fault in a candidate unafraid to say that you don't deserve a living wage...then I say we give them what they want. Poverty and wage slavery

Democrats need to learn how to downplay how much outside money and influence pour into these elections. Republicans have practically made that an art form. Hell, they managed to convince everyone George Bush was a cowboy.

I don't think it is a total loss. The election before the run off way overly inflated expectations. I mean, you can tell people how badly the R vote split but all some see is 11 points to 51%. The Georiga 6th is a massively red district and Ossoff made up something like 19 points. Granted, that includes the fact he had a massive war chest. However I feel like that is more about the limitations of money than anything else.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I live right next to the Georgia 6th. Handel is a moron, and considering how deep red the 6th is, Im not surprised at all that she won. But attack ads work and considering the radio ads and flyers here (even in other districts) were a constant thing for both sides. Some of Handel's were pretty bad, like insinuating terror connections with Ossoff. But like in 2016, Republicans go to the polls, and thats why she won. Read about some Berniebros who were celebrating Ossoff's loss since he wasnt left wing enough. Thats why Democrats lose.

Funny thing is, that seat is up for election in 2018. More of a morale victory than anything else since she will have to defend the seat again soon anyways. Assuming the Democrats put someone forward. Lesson is, bring someone forward who is squeaky clean, lessen the outside money, and someone who has lived in the 6th for most of their lives. That seemed to be the biggest hitting points for the GOP in this race.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 06-21-2017 at 14:58.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Democrats need to let go of purity tests.

Page 27 of 95 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast