Thread: Senate missions

Default Senate missions

If I followed the Senate's mission would they actually lead to world domination or would they just have me starting wars with everyone on loads of different fronts?

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Senate missions

Just do the ones that suit your goals, and ignore the rest. While there's no big consequences for failing to carry out a Senate mission, you should do at least a few. Only once did I incur the wrath of the SPQR, and they docked me 300,000 denarii. Not all that painful when my treasury was several million

When the civil war finally broke out, I had my best general and strongest army waiting just offshore from Rome. Needless to say I put the city to the sword to finally vent my displeasure

High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    If I followed the Senate's mission would they actually lead to world domination or would they just have me starting wars with everyone on loads of different fronts?
    Sometimes it will be to get a peace with somebody, or get map information. I do what I can, unless I think it is not in my best interest. Usually for me I ignore the ones that tell me to attack a trading partner, unless they are very weak anyway, maybe one or two settlements left and they are near me.

Virtually nobody will surrender to you, so when the Senate says to obtain surrender (you tell them to become your protectorate), you might as well ignore it. As Macedon, I had Egypt once become my protectorate, obviously not a Senate mission. That is the only time anybody has surrendered to me.

Assassinations are also difficult unless you have a good assassin, and usually you won't be able to kill who they tell you to kill anyway, so that is one you might as well ignore too.

The ones where you get docked money if you don't follow through are usually when the Senate doesn't like you anyway because you are too powerful. If the Quaestor is from your faction when they do that, you are fine if you ignore it, you won't get penalized.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 02-10-2017 at 03:28.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

If the Quaestor is from your faction when they do that, you are fine if you ignore it, you won't get penalized.
    [/QUOTE]

That happened when I was the Julii. The Senate threatened to investigate my faction, but one of my family members was the quaestor. I decided to see what would happen if I ignored them. When I ran out of time, a message from the Senate popped up saying that apparently I had friends in high places and nothing incriminating was found. I love thumbing my nose at the Senate!

As far as Senate missions in general, I complete them if it is convenient for me, or if what they offer is a good enough reward; Triarii early on, Deceres, loads of money, etc. If you complete every mission, it seems like the rewards aren't as good, whereas if you ignore them completely the Senate gets mad at you. This is not a big problem, but it is nice to have them somewhat friendly to you early-game. For me it has always been a fine balance between my interest and the Senate's, with my interests coming first, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch the Mace View Post
    or if what they offer is a good enough reward
    That has an effect too. I will do almost any mission within my realm of capability if they offer me 10000 denarii. The units aren't always clear, sometimes it says a unit of Triarii, sometimes it will just say "one of the best units you can recruit" or "two major exotic units".

It seems the only time they say what unit they will give is Triarii. They never give Principes or Hastati or Equites. Now I have had them give me First Cohort, Gladiators, Scorpions, and various mercenary units as well, but the only one they specifically mention is Triarii. Of course, after Marius changes (if you don't know, usually after your second city builds imperial palace), you can't retrain your old-style units anyway, and unless you are Scipii, you won't be able to retrain Corvus Quinquireme or Deceres (unless you take a city from the Scipii that has the appropriate temple).

Are you still on your first campaign, or have you played before, 8-bit? I take it from the original question you are new to Rome.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Yeah, still early game Juilii Campaign, waiting for everything to fall to pieces! :)

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

The Julii are probably the most difficult of the three Roman factions. Expanding north into Gallic territory (meant to emulate Julius Caesar, I suppose) means slogging through pi$$-poor barbarian country. Take the two nearest Gallic cities (Mediolanium, and Patavium) then head to Greece where the richest provinces are

If the Senate wants you to cross over the Alps....tell them to take a hike....
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    Yeah, still early game Juilii Campaign, waiting for everything to fall to pieces! :)
    Don't want to play spoiler, but things will change for you after your (usually) second city builds an imperial palace. Might be after first or third, but usually second. It's a good change, though. Can we say Gaius Marius?

It will be a while before things fall apart.