Poll: Do you like Barbarians?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does everyone hates barbarian factions?

Default Re: Why does everyone hates barbarian factions?

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    The longer you leave Roman factions on the map, the worse it will get. Four to five stacks will become 6-8 or more. Deal with them now or they will become a huge problem.

I take it you are talking being Dacia here? If so, do you have Chosen Archers yet? If you don't, get them ASAP! Good tactic for whittling down Roman stacks is to have 6-8 Chosen Archers (they are excellent in melee so don't worry about having so many shooters), front them with infantry, move the line just far enough forward to bring Roman troops into range (but not close enough to precipitate a charge), and shoot them to pieces. Once the archers are out of arrows, rest them a bit (so they can participate in clean-up), and send in the infantry/cavalry to finish off what's left.

This tactic works for Germania, as well, though with Zerkers, Chosen Ax, and the best cavalry outside the Middle East, you can be more aggressive.
    Thanks for the tip - I'll experiment on the custom battle front to get an idea - looks like a good initial strategy will be to drop back in deployment. I am in the 190BC area so have everything.

I hope Rome does something about Egypt. Germania, or really any barbarian faction, is poorly equipped to deal with Egypt. Also, as many missile units as Egypt fields, and considering that outside of cav, my only armoured unit is Chosen Archers... I will have to have lots of them, but then I need something to deal with chariots.

Too bad Germania has nothing outside of phalanx that can deal with good units in a line, due to their lack of armour. Without the Spears, I would certainly use my cav for more than protecting my flanks, or hitting the enemy if that is taken care of. I rarely use Berserkers, though my army in Spain will probably have them.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 07-07-2017 at 22:51.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Watch out for Bull Warriors - horribly overpowered - they can walk through Barbarian infantry like a knife through butter. They are the ones you need take out with your archers. Anything else in Spain is pretty-much manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by weejonnie View Post
    Watch out for Bull Warriors - horribly overpowered - they can walk through Barbarian infantry like a knife through butter. They are the ones you need take out with your archers. Anything else in Spain is pretty-much manageable.
    Agreed about the Bull Warriors. And double hit points? Totally stupid. As far as the other Spanish units, just hire some Balearic Slingers to complement my Chosen Archers, and protect them from the enemy cav with some Spear Warband.

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12