Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
The longer you leave Roman factions on the map, the worse it will get. Four to five stacks will become 6-8 or more. Deal with them now or they will become a huge problem.

I take it you are talking being Dacia here? If so, do you have Chosen Archers yet? If you don't, get them ASAP! Good tactic for whittling down Roman stacks is to have 6-8 Chosen Archers (they are excellent in melee so don't worry about having so many shooters), front them with infantry, move the line just far enough forward to bring Roman troops into range (but not close enough to precipitate a charge), and shoot them to pieces. Once the archers are out of arrows, rest them a bit (so they can participate in clean-up), and send in the infantry/cavalry to finish off what's left.

This tactic works for Germania, as well, though with Zerkers, Chosen Ax, and the best cavalry outside the Middle East, you can be more aggressive.
Thanks for the tip - I'll experiment on the custom battle front to get an idea - looks like a good initial strategy will be to drop back in deployment. I am in the 190BC area so have everything.