Thread: Can i somehow increase the lifespan of a family member?

Default Can i somehow increase the lifespan of a family member?

Like i Have some great General with all managment,influence and command very increased i go and conquer alot of cities and then like He Dies at 60 years old and im Like Wow Really? So is there any way to increase his lifespan? It would be Great :D

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Can i somehow increase the lifespan of a family member?

Not in any useful way. 60-70 years is pretty much the expected lifespan in RTW, provided they don't get killed in battle

Unofficially (not empirically tested), I've noticed that a family member can live much longer than 60 by putting them in a fort. I've had members live as long as 80-85 years by doing that, though it's not guaranteed to occur. Not a very fitting end to a warrior but if you have a mountain pass or roadway that needs to be secured....

Make sure you remove all the desirable retinue cards from a family member before they die and give them to another. If you don't they are gone. Some are one-of-a-kind or very rare, so pay attention to when a family member is nearing the end

You can also do the same for assassins and diplomats (verrrry important), but unfortunately not for admirals because you can't have two in a single fleet
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 02-15-2017 at 15:50.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post

You can also do the same for assassins and diplomats (verrrry important), but unfortunately not for admirals because you can't have two in a single fleet
    I have had a diplomat live to be 107. I rarely lose generals in combat, but once they get into their 50's and especially 60's, I transfer their retinue. Many times if they are staying in a city they will get it right back, so I can keep transferring it as their sons come of age or generals marry their daughters, and get those guys on the campaign trail.

The thing to note, if they get undesirable traits and are worthless, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will live a long time, especially if it is your faction leader and you are waiting for him to die so your awesome faction heir can become your faction leader.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Vincent i Noticed that one :D

I just played as Carthage and that guy Hanno (your first faction leader) lived like for 80 years and i was like why does it not happen with Greeks xD

They seem to die off fast because they do: each turn is two years so each season (summer/winter) is four.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

each turn is two years so each season (summer/winter) is four
    Each turn is one season, so two turns = 1 year unless you apply a mod

The thing to note, if they get undesirable traits and are worthless, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will live a long time
    Not in my campaigns I apply one of two solutions: a) load said member(s) onto a single bireme and find the largest enemy fleet to attack. If they somehow survive the first attack, I keep sending them until the ship gets sunk b) send said member(s) to attack a heavily garrisoned city and auto-resolve. However.....in a Seleucid campaign, I sent a worthless general all by himself to attack a rebel-held city. When I hit the auto-resolve button, I expected the "Honorable Death" cut-scene, but instead got a "Heroic Victory". Go figure He went from exp 0 to exp 5, and gained a number of very favorable traits. Didn't have the heart to repeat the attempt to kill him, and he turned out to be a decent governor for the remainder of his life.

and that guy Hanno (your first faction leader) lived like for 80 years
    That's highly unusual. Usually Hanno dies within the first several years of a Carthaginian campaign. Might be game difficulty related
    High Plains Drifter

if they get undesirable traits and are worthless, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will live a long time, especially if it is your faction leader and you are waiting for him to die so your awesome faction heir can become your faction leader.
    I have had a few old faction leaders that I was hoping the Senate would order to commit suicide, but they never did.

[QUOTE=ReluctantSamurai;2053739210]Each turn is one season, so two turns = 1 year unless you apply a mod

I know that's true in some of the add on packs - perhaps I'm confused with Medieval I. I can't check, though as the game is not loaded currently. I wanted to change the "2" to a "0.5" in the past in some TW game anyway. What stopped me is having the buildings and armies completing 4x faster.

Vanilla Rome Total War is divided into one season per turn with two seasons per year, summer and winter, . EB is one turn equals one season, for four turns per year. I don't know about any of the other games.

I had a spy on Corsica in EB once that I never moved. He got so old that the counter for his age started over again at the minimum, he was well over 100, I think over 160, some glitch because I never moved him. I moved him into a city eventually, and he died shortly thereafter.

I apply one of two solutions: a) load said member(s) onto a single bireme and find the largest enemy fleet to attack. If they somehow survive the first attack, I keep sending them until the ship gets sunk
    I use the worthless ones to pick up some mercenary horse archers and ride around the map wiping out rebels. Or I form an army of worthless generals and again go wipe out rebels. I did find out, Bedouin Archers aren't as good for the merc army option as Scythians.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 02-17-2017 at 03:07.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare