Thread: Settlers don't appear and two other things

Default Settlers don't appear and two other things

Hallo, you have done very nice work! I started a Seleukid campaign (2.2g) after quite some time and found these issues:
    1. I had a reproduceable CTD after being attacked by rebels while sieging Ankyra (still held by rebels, too). One or two rebel armies and Ankyra's garrison attacked my army; when I defeated them, CTD happened (I would have conquered the town immediately after winning because of wiping out Ankyra's garrison). I guess it is due to so many armies involved, when I retreated and destroyed the armies separate from conquering the town all was fine. I could maybe upload the savefile if it's of any use to you.
    2. King Antiochos got a trait obviously reserved for Celtiberians. It was called "proven warrior values" or something similar. It gave +1 influence and +1 fertility, if I remember correctly. I can't find a charactertraits file so I cannot confirm its precise name. The trait perhaps was lost after a turn again, but I cannot say for sure as I reloaded a savegame and don't know whether he already had that trait then or got it afterwards.
    3. Most annoying was that I got no settlers after turn 1. As I had never lost Antiocheia and its metropolis I expected new settlers on turn 17, but even on turn 19 or so I had neither the advisor popping up or the corresponding options appearing in the building menu. Am I missing something else?
    4. A question: I have seen that governors have been given a slight culture conversion bonus, but neither the Poleis buildings nor the Military settlers buildings seem to give such a bonus anymore. Is that true? What exactly has an impact on culture conversion apart from governors (neighbours; small bonus according to your faction's main culture?)?
    Last edited by Lysandros; 02-23-2017 at 19:48.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

Member thankful for this post:

Lifelong Mare's Milk Fermenter Member Genghis Skhan's Avatar

Default Re: Settlers don't appear and two other things

I could maybe upload the savefile if it's of any use to you
    That won't likely help--an eb.system.log file zipped up would be much more helpful whenever you get a CTD like that.

If you still have the former save, you could retry the battle again and then send us the log file when you get the CTD.

King Antiochos got a trait obviously reserved for Celtiberians. It was called "proven warrior values" or something similar. It gave +1 influence and +1 fertility, if I remember correctly. I can't find a charactertraits file so I cannot confirm its precise name. The trait perhaps was lost after a turn again, but I cannot say for sure as I reloaded a savegame and don't know whether he already had that trait then or got it afterwards.
    Very weird. It's called the EDCT(export_descr_character_traits).

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trigger CeltiberianValues4
      WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WonBattle
    		and FactionType f_arevaci
    		and BattleSuccess > average
    		and GeneralNumKillsInBattle > 35
    		and Trait CeltiberianValues = 1
    		and Trait CeltiberianMerc < 1
    		and NumEnemiesInBattle > 900

Affects CeltiberianValues  9  Chance  30

;------------------------------------------
    The red line was missing from this trigger, but still, antiochos shouldn't have had CeltiberianValues = 1...Very weird. Good spot. I've further tweaked the Values triggers to help make sure this only happens for the Arevaci.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

As Skhan said, a log file from immediately after the crash (not after several hours of play, then the crash; it'll be too big to open) is the best way to give feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    3. Most annoying was that I got no settlers after turn 1. As I had never lost Antiocheia and its metropolis I expected new settlers on turn 17, but even on turn 19 or so I had neither the advisor popping up or the corresponding options appearing in the building menu. Am I missing something else?
    I have no idea what's happened there. All the Hellenistic factions use the same script, and no one has reported any issues with it in ages.

4. A question: I have seen that governors have been given a slight culture conversion bonus, but neither the Poleis buildings nor the Military settlers buildings seem to give such a bonus anymore. Is that true? What exactly has an impact on culture conversion apart from governors (neighbours; small bonus according to your faction's main culture?)?
    The polis never gave any conversion bonus. The military settlers building only converts up to a particular point, then you have to upgrade it to give a higher level of conversion. Colonies are the only source of fast conversion for the Seleukids, a governor's impact is small by comparison.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Thanks to both of you. I started another campaign after reinstalling EB 2.2g again on a clean installation of MTW2. I almost exclusively clicked 'end turn' until turn 19, but again I got no settlers after turn 1. I have no idea why. When looking into the campaign script for additional requirements I might have missed I found a difference between Epeiros and all other Hellenistic factions, though. I'm not good enough at reading the script to judge whether it is intended or a mistake:

; Test for every three polis_two that Makedonia controls:
    monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_makedonia
    and I_EventCounter ecOlympicYear = 1 ; every four years
    and I_EventCounter ecSpring = 1 ; in spring
    and SettlementBuildingExists = polis_two
    inc_event_counter f_makedonia_Polis2 1 ; increase building points
    if I_EventCounter f_makedonia_Polis2 > 2 ; at least three buildings exist
    inc_counter MakedoniaColonyPoints 1 ; increase colony points
    inc_event_counter f_makedonia_Polis2 -3 ; deduct building points
    end_if
    if I_IsFactionAIControlled f_makedonia ; terminate if faction is AI
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

; Test for every three polis_two that Epeiros controls:
    monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_epeiros
    and I_EventCounter ecOlympicYear = 1
    and I_EventCounter ecSpring = 1
    and SettlementBuildingExists = polis_two
    inc_event_counter f_epeiros_Polis2 1 ; increase building points
    if I_EventCounter f_epeiros_Polis2 > 2 ; at least three buildings exist
    inc_counter EpeirosColonyPoints 1 ; increase colony points
    set_event_counter f_epeiros_Polis2 0 ; reset building points
    end_if
    if I_IsFactionAIControlled f_epeiros ; terminate if faction is AI
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor
    Last edited by Lysandros; 02-24-2017 at 19:40.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."

Redid the Ankyra battle on a new installation (so not using the savegame, but anew), crashed again, here are the last log lines containing "error":
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu28'.
    12:33:18.734 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <define_unit_group>, at line 39222, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    12:33:18.734 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <define_unit_group>, at line 39222, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu29'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu30'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu31'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu32'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu33'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu34'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu35'.
    12:33:18.735 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <define_unit_group>, at line 39222, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    12:33:18.735 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <define_unit_group>, at line 39222, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu36'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu37'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu38'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu39'.
    Error in battle script command 'define_unit_group': invalid unit label 'Eu40'.
    12:50:58.551 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.
    12:50:58.551 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.

Thanks to both of you. I started another campaign after reinstalling EB 2.2g again on a clean installation of MTW2. I almost exclusively clicked 'end turn' until turn 19, but again I got no settlers after turn 1. I have no idea why. When looking into the campaign script for additional requirements I might have missed I found a difference between Epeiros and all other Hellenistic factions, though. I'm not good enough at reading the script to judge whether it is intended or a mistake:
    That's just a slight variation on the "three polis_two" alternative means of getting colonists. The script is the same for all the other factions, and no one has reported any issues, so I have no idea why it isn't working for you.

Redid the Ankyra battle on a new installation (so not using the savegame, but anew), crashed again, here are the last log lines containing "error":
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I need the whole log, zip it and attach to the forum. There's nothing unusual in that extract.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

There it is: eb.system.log.7z

There it is: eb.system.log.7z
    Nothing unusual in there, and no terminating error either. Is that the one from immediately after the crash?

Sorry, wrong log. Redid the battle and here it is finally. eb.system.log.7z
    Last edited by Lysandros; 02-26-2017 at 15:55.

Last things it was doing before the crash:

Code:
    14:52:57.965 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <general_gains_command_experience_from_battle> fired
    14:52:57.965 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <AH06b_Battle_Victory_Huge> fired
    14:52:57.965 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/data/ui/generic/eventpics/vnv_traitchange.tga
    14:52:57.978 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_3/eventpics/vnv_traitchange.tga (from: D:\eb2)
    14:52:57.978 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_3/eventpics/vnv_traitchange.tga.dds
    14:52:57.978 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_3/eventpics/vnv_traitchange.tga (from: D:\eb2)
    14:52:57.978 [system.io] [trace] file open,,204CB6C0,169484
    14:52:57.978 [system.io] [info] open:   found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_3/eventpics/vnv_traitchange.tga (from: D:\eb2)
    14:52:57.978 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Standard_Battle_Crushing_Victory> fired
    14:52:57.978 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Standard_Battle_Attacker_Hard> fired
    14:52:57.978 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <EB_02_Win_Adds_to_Cumulative_Wins> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <High_BattlePoints_Above_Avg_Energy> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Initial_Star_High_BattlePoints_Above_Average_Energy> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <BecomesBetterTactician_High_Int> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <BecomesBetterLeader_Avg_Cha> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <GoodTactician_Incremented_good> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <GoodLeader_Incremented_good> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <heroicvictory_known> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <heroicvictory_brave> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Infantry_Commander_Victory_good> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Attacker_Victory_good> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <BattleOthersVirtue> fired
    14:52:57.979 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Warmonger_Bonus1> fired
    14:52:57.980 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.
    Looks like a normal run of triggers, not sure why it's crashed.

Are you using Large Address Aware? That solves most people's memory-related crashes.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 02-27-2017 at 09:41.

I have used a 4 GB patch (by NTCore) on the .exe, or do you mean something different?
    By the way, I finally got settlers, but they came on turn 33, so I wonder if you have halved the rate at which they are generated?

I have used a 4 GB patch (by NTCore) on the .exe, or do you mean something different?
    By the way, I finally got settlers, but they came on turn 33, so I wonder if you have halved the rate at which they are generated?
    All those compiler flags work the same way, so that should have sorted your stability issues.

There's been absolutely no change to the colonisation scripts. Did you have a crash on turn 16 that might have interrupted it?

As far as I remember, no, not on turn 16, but the game has crashed a few times clearly due to memory leak bug. In my current third campaign I had that Ankyra battle issue on turn 4 or so - after reloading the save I auto-won the battle per console.

This is also now my third clean installation of the mod (I even downloaded the patch and animations file anew) and apart from memory leak bugs and that battle crash, it's been stable so far. In all my three games however there had been no colonists on turn 17. I quit the first and second game on turn 20-21 because of that, but then continued the third up to turn 39 at the moment.

As I always spended the initial settlers on building settler towns in Antiocheia, I also wondered if building them in the very same town the metropolis is in could have had that effect, but this is purely guessing. It just seems non-coincidental to me when settlers arrive precisely after the double amount of time as expected.
    Last edited by Lysandros; 02-27-2017 at 17:38.

Where you build them has no effect at all, the only thing the script is doing is tracking the creation and expenditure of those "colony points".

Yes, I thought that to be true, I'm just not familiar with the last mod version yet.

I now got settlers on turn 49. So apart from the missing settlers on turn 17 in three different campaigns everything seems fine again (got settlers on turn 1, 1+16=17 missing, 1+16+16=33 and 1+16+16+16=49).

By the way, battle AI seems quite good on hard/hard setting. Holding a wooden wall city with just a few phalangites and some other troops used to be an easy win, but I had one of the most intense battles yesterday defending Antiocheia Margianes - casualty percentage was 96 % (me) to 98 % (Parthian attackers).
    Last edited by Lysandros; 02-28-2017 at 18:59.

Another bug I found: traits like "indifferent builder" and "censured formered ergepistates" result actually in a reduced building cost, not an increase. Guess this already has been reported.

Pantodapoi Phalangitai never regenerate stamina, it seems. Experienced this in two different battles (sieges), waiting at 6x speed all other units were able to recover, but not those units.
    Last edited by Lysandros; 03-04-2017 at 20:07.

Babylonian New Year's Festival may happen if the king is not even in Babylonia, not sure if this is intended. But it seems strange if the ceremony takes place somewhere in Margiane.

In the Faction Announcements a character was announced to have received the trait "Satisfied Humanitarian", whereas he actually got the trait "Uncomfortable Humanitarian".
    Finally, there seems to be an issue which I can hardly specify. All I can say is this: every time a settlement of mine was attacked by Taksashila, the AI would effectively only make use of a single siege tower, dropping/ignoring rams and ladders. After the first soldiers drop successfully onto the wall, others would then try to follow and presumably cause the game to extremely stutter and become unplayable. Pausing the game interrupts the stuttering, but it comes back as soon as you unpause. I don't know whether it is because of a single unit, the units blocking each other's way or something else. I attach a picture, but please note that this also happened in a battle when only two units tried to use a siege tower.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0002.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	932.7 KB 
ID:	19522
    Last edited by Lysandros; 03-07-2017 at 17:41.

Another bug I found: traits like "indifferent builder" and "censured formered ergepistates" result actually in a reduced building cost, not an increase. Guess this already has been reported.
    Pantodapoi Phalangitai never regenerate stamina, it seems. Experienced this in two different battles (sieges), waiting at 6x speed all other units were able to recover, but not those units.
    Sieges are broken in all sorts of respects; do other phalanx units recover? There's nothing we can do about them otherwise, there isn't a setting that allows or disallows recovery.

Babylonian New Year's Festival may happen if the king is not even in Babylonia, not sure if this is intended. But it seems strange if the ceremony takes place somewhere in Margiane.
    In the Faction Announcements a character was announced to have received the trait "Satisfied Humanitarian", whereas he actually got the trait "Uncomfortable Humanitarian".
    Same for both; AntiTraits bug which we haven't finished addressing.

Finally, there seems to be an issue which I can hardly specify. All I can say is this: every time a settlement of mine was attacked by Taksashila, the AI would effectively only make use of a single siege tower, dropping/ignoring rams and ladders. After the first soldiers drop successfully onto the wall, others would then try to follow and presumably cause the game to extremely stutter and become unplayable. Pausing the game interrupts the stuttering, but it comes back as soon as you unpause. I don't know whether it is because of a single unit, the units blocking each other's way or something else. I attach a picture, but please note that this also happened in a battle when only two units tried to use a siege tower.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0002.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	932.7 KB 
ID:	19522
    Pathfinding is broken in sieges, sounds like there's a BAI issue with a particular map.