Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is North Korea's Leader losing it?

Default Re: Is North Korea's Leader losing it?

N.Korea seems to be simply sliding into the the spaces Trump's foreign policy creates.
    As the U.S. retreats from Asia, China becomes the only game in town. Short-term, lip service to America might be needed but with American diplomatic, economic and military withdrawl the longterm game is all China.
    The question (for me) is does China really care? The present policy seems to open up the region for China to pursue hegemony; with a nod and a wink to American bluster China moves into the empty spaces America creates.
    N.Korea just rides the wave and makes a nice "shiny" to wave at America while China expands and entrenches it influence and territory in the region.
    Does Trump have the patience or vision to sustain the long game of strategy and diplomacy required; regional allies might chose to wait it out, but they might jump ship:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...hina-the-world

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/03/...asia-to-china/
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 05-06-2017 at 06:03.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 05-07-2017 at 04:16.
    Wooooo!!!

A video tends to be a bad way to convey a list of numbers. Not only is it needlessly time-consuming, it also contains wrong data, such as Britain spends 1% of its GDP on defense. The actual number is 1.9%: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_expenditures

Japan has about twice the population of Britain and almost twice the GDP, it's mathematically impossible that they both spend 1% on defense and Britain spends more...
    The tank and especially aircraft comparisons are a bit simplistic, comparing just simple numbers for the most part. I'm not sure what the point is and lists could give me the numbers much faster, so tl;dw....

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Japan has about twice the population of Britain and almost twice the GDP, it's mathematically impossible that they both spend 1% on defense and Britain spends more...
    Actually, Japan spends a lot on its military. Contrary to what many outside of Asia believe, Japan's military isn't small. And they have expensive tanks and other vehicles and aircrafts. The Japanese navy is quite impressive, too.

I'm not sure what the point is
    I'm trying to show how dangerous the region could get if war breaks out. The militaries in this region are large and powerful. Add the US military including the ones that are already stationed in East Asia.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 05-10-2017 at 16:09.
    Wooooo!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Haven't watched the video but that's a JSF you see on the picture of the video at least. Photoshop? Japan doesn't has them (lucky bastards)
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-10-2017 at 18:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    Actually, Japan spends a lot on its military. Contrary to what many outside of Asia believe, Japan's military isn't small. And they have expensive tanks and other vehicles and aircrafts. The Japanese navy is quite impressive, too.
    The video had Britain spend more money than Japan. It also said both Britain and Japan spend 1% of GDP.

So let's assume Japan has a GDP of 100 and Britain a GDP of 50. Please tell me how they can both have a military budget of 1% of their respective GDPs and Britain comes out spending more.

Of course the answer is that Brtian does not spend 1% but 1.9% or thereabouts and that's how they spend somewhat more in absolute terms.

And of course some people are just posting alternative facts again: https://www.f35.com/global/participation/japan

The first F-35A for Japan was presented at an official rollout ceremony on Sept. 23, 2016.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The video had Britain spend more money than Japan. It also said both Britain and Japan spend 1% of GDP
    If you paid attention... everyone was spending 1% !
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    If you paid attention... everyone was spending 1% !
    I stopped watching actually.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

North Korea thing is sabre rattling as usual, but it's definitely to some levels we haven't seen so far.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Blog Entries

The unusual lack of chinese support would probably explain it.

They feel cornered and might be close to lashing out.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Lashing out is not a rational move. If Kim is really as unhinged as some people think he is, a coup may not be totally out of the question. A North Korean attack would do nothing but kill a lot of people on the peninsula and put the USA right across the river from the Chinese.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blog Entries

Remove leadership, offer general amnesty for the rest and rebuilding the country under an United Korea.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Remove leadership, offer general amnesty for the rest and rebuilding the country under an United Korea.
    And what are supposed to do with the rest of the afternoon?

Except China won't allow that because it will invariably become a US backed state. Conceivably, they could be persuaded if the US made some concessions in the South China Sea but why should we do that for what seems like an inevitability?

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blog Entries

United States could be persuaded to withdraw troops at that point. China could be lured with economic investment in rebuilding North Korea. An united Korea might end up being more sympathetic to Beijing too due to the Influence of the North Koreans who are slowly being integrated into the democratic process.

In a way, it would actually decrease USA influence in Asia, so geopolitically, having North Korea as a rogue pariah is actually beneficial for American interest.
    Last edited by Beskar; 05-11-2017 at 21:57.

As soon as the North Koreans get that first hit of American soft culture, they will flock to us.

Bow to the Levis.

I imagine Sarmatians house is nothing but basketballs, Springsteen tapes, and closets full of blue jeans.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 05-11-2017 at 21:59.

As soon as the North Koreans get that first hit of American soft culture, they will flock to us.

Bow to the Levis.

I imagine Sarmatians house is nothing but basketballs, Springsteen tapes, and closets full of blue jeans.
    They're more into bootlegged South Korean soap operas, but it's close.

Maybe the world should just empower the United States over the United Nations.

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

If only...

I don't think the PRC would accept this without a lot of hefty caveats.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Bow to the Levis.

So the ultimate weapon against China...the one they fear....is K-pop?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

In a manner of speaking. China is trying to be smart about it and make a measured descent into capitalism. NK won't have that luxury under the scenario we are discussing.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    So the ultimate weapon against China...the one they fear....is K-pop?
    I've seen it mentioned that North Korea's ultimate threat against Chinese neglect is to open the borders and allow their population to flood unchecked into China. Does that count as K-pop?

Also, I found this whilst looking for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Kim does have 3 sons, which one of them will take power. I hope it will be the second oldest of them, as he studied in Switzerland, so we can hope for a more democratic and liberal mind.

Speaking of North Korean K-pop...

Wooooo!!!

Husar 

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    Speaking of North Korean K-pop...
    So that's what unaltered Korean women look like...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Wooooo!!!

Bow to the Levis.

... and I'm humming Yankee Doodle while eating a hot dog.

I think the true end of western cultural dominance was Gangnam Style. An Asian performer with the most popular rap song ever. Pretty soon we're all gonna be glued in front of the screen, waiting for a new episode of Smo Kee and the Ban Din.

It's over.

Gangnam Style
    rap song
    dude
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Rap, pop, techno... whatever.

Not Springsteen.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Also, I found this whilst looking for something else.
    Hah, how wrong I was.

I expected it to be totally different - expected it to actually be much better than it was before.
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 05-13-2017 at 00:41.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Wooooo!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

You sometimes don't know whe to laugh and just shake your head. That teacup-eared fattie is threatening with total-doom. It would be comical if the situation for North-Koreans wouldn't be so miserable.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast