Thread: The United Kingdom; The European Union; NATO: which is the primary sense of identity?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Default Re: The United Kingdom; The European Union; NATO: which is the primary sense of ident

Identity is an interesting thing. It's a fabrication, but one based on actual experience. For some, identity is a declaration of how they want the world to be. See for example those Muslims who identify themselves as primarily Muslim and overlook the huge differences within this category. Also see British. It's a declaration that Scottish islanders and residents of Croydon are one united people.

As well as ambition and intent, identity describes people's feelings of commonality. Who they feel culturally comfortable with. See above for examples.

Personally I have cultural ambitions that lead me to enthuse about our global commonality. While at the same time I'm suspicious of local macro commonality such as Britain, the German-speaking-people, Eastern European, etc.

I identify as English, not British. The Scots and Welsh are a little bit different. I'm a southerner too (whose family were northerners... Part of which makes me recognise my southerness).
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Member thankful for this post: