Thread: Pink Floyd?

Default Pink Floyd?

Some of the background music in the Americas campaign was bothering me; sounded familiar. Well, it finally hit me (and sort of in a way makes sense with the sun god worshipers): Set Your Controls for the Heart of the Sun written sometime in the 60s with their original lineup before their writer (Syd Barrett) was committed to an asylum. Well, I thought that was interesting, anyway :)

Members thankful for this post (2):

Default Re: Pink Floyd?

That's fascinating. Which faction are you playing? Is it the campaign map music? To be honest, I never bothered with the Americas campaign, fearing that it's rife with inaccuracies. I may now give it a try just to hear this Floyd reference (or theft). Thanks for pointing this out LordK9!

Default Re: Pink Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    That's fascinating. Which faction are you playing? Is it the campaign map music? To be honest, I never bothered with the Americas campaign, fearing that it's rife with inaccuracies. I may now give it a try just to hear this Floyd reference (or theft). Thanks for pointing this out LordK9!
    I don't believe Pink Floyd is performing it - more like an orchestra version and just a part of the song. I'd guess that the song was available as sheet music. I was wrong about the writer, though - Roger Waters wrote it. I can't remember the faction for sure but it was not Apachean or Spanish. Inaccuracies? The inaccuracies of the Apache alone are more then all the other games put together. Native archers were way overpowered (the Spanish marched through much of Florida in one expedition (DeSoto maybe?) and were under arrow attack nearly the whole way. Deaths were, like, three? The natives other then the Mayas didn't have walled cities but they do in the game. The natives use rams which they never had a need to develop. One city depiction is in the middle of a desert - with a mote. No jungles. Spanish dragoons fire and LOAD from horseback. Yeah, the inaccuracies bother me but it's still been fun. The Spanish cut through their enemies but can be overwhelmed with numbers but are balanced by a lack of funds. I won with them without building but a few garrison troops - mainly used native mercenaries (small armies keep arriving from Spain which gives a base for new armies without building AND depletes your funds).

Bottom line is, I think you'd be disappointed playing just to hear the song.