Thread: Space X re-uses booster rocket

Default Space X re-uses booster rocket

The safe re-use of a booster (most expensive part of rocket) sounds like good news.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-1st-reflight/

Of course without a good solution to the accumulation of "space junk", we might want to curb or enthusiasm :p

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/s...al_debris.html
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 04-01-2017 at 02:44.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Members thankful for this post (5):

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Space X re-uses booster rocket

I still advocate for a giant space net to capture all the space garbage. Then we throw it into the sun.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

We should clean up all the crud in the orbitals. Eventually, it will be a hassle putting things up there with the vector overcrowding.

Then we should take care of the NEO that pose a threat.

Somewhere in there we need to overcome the tech problems and get a beanstalk up.

Then we need to get some colonists out to those "nearby" in-the-life-zone planets and increase our species chance for survival by an order of magnitude or so.

Can you tell I am NOT a fan of cutting NASA funding?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

We need a new start-up firm - Orbital Recycling. Gather up all that junk and recycle it in orbit for other space projects. We've already paid the energy cost to get the stuff up there, why let it go to waste?

I'm pretty much on board with your program, Seamus.

Regarding the Space X re-use, I wonder how much savings they are realizing from the re-use. A year between launches seems a long time. I realize that the more they do this, the faster and cheaper the whole process will become.
    This space intentionally left blank

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I still advocate for a giant space net to capture all the space garbage. Then we throw it into the sun.
    Waste of ergs. Most of it just needs to be re-vectored a touch and it will all burn up without losing the mass and materials from our grav well. We keep losing our helium as it is.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken