Thread: ISIS terror attack in Iran

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default ISIS terror attack in Iran

One Source on this.

It will be interesting to see if the Theocracy takes a more "active" stance against ISIS, and if so, how? They already support portions of the Syrian resistance who are opposing ISIS in Syria. I don't believe their Hezbollahn allies are positioned to do more than they are. Short of committing Iranian government forces to attack Eastern Syria (and that has a lot of doability issues), what more can they practically do?

I will say this much for ISIS. They are ideologically consistent radical terrorist bastards. ANYBODY not of the true faith (even if the split that makes you 'untrue' was because you thought the daughter of the prophet counted or did not in the succession a millennia plus ago) is a valid target.

My prayers for the families of those harmed in this travesty.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Default Re: ISIS terror attack in Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    One Source on this.

It will be interesting to see if the Theocracy takes a more "active" stance against ISIS, and if so, how? They already support portions of the Syrian resistance who are opposing ISIS in Syria. I don't believe their Hezbollahn allies are positioned to do more than they are. Short of committing Iranian government forces to attack Eastern Syria (and that has a lot of doability issues), what more can they practically do?

I will say this much for ISIS. They are ideologically consistent radical terrorist bastards. ANYBODY not of the true faith (even if the split that makes you 'untrue' was because you thought the daughter of the prophet counted or did not in the succession a millennia plus ago) is a valid target.

My prayers for the families of those harmed in this travesty.
    When you start a new thread every time ISIS does something of the kind very soon all threads will be about bombings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    When you start a new thread every time ISIS does something of the kind very soon all threads will be about bombings.
    Arguably, but this represents one of the relatively rare times a terror strike has been made against a more-or-less stable and significant Islamic power and not some former NATO/US battlefield. So it passes the old "man bites dog" test.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Not a surprise really, Iran blames Saudi Arabia for the attack.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Not a surprise really, Iran blames Saudi Arabia for the attack.
    Not without a grain of truth, I suspect. It has long been bruited that the near-absence of terror attacks in Saudi Arabia is the result of a lot of quiet funding that wends its way into the hands of Sunni extremists. Sort of a Saud family life insurance program I would imagine.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Where's Pannonian to explain how ISIS performed the attack because they hate Iran's liberal western values...

On a serious note, it is significant, as Seamus said. I can't say I expect major changes, though. Iran will continue to support enemies of ISIS in roughly the same manner. If attacks continue or intensify, then there could be chance that Iran gets involved directly.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Where's Pannonian to explain how ISIS performed the attack because they hate Iran's liberal western values...

On a serious note, it is significant, as Seamus said. I can't say I expect major changes, though. Iran will continue to support enemies of ISIS in roughly the same manner. If attacks continue or intensify, then there could be chance that Iran gets involved directly.
    Er, it's the centuries old Shia vs Sunni thing. And it's not something I care about, except that I'd like us to keep out of it. A position I've held for ages. Unlike those who like to pontificate how the English are always wrong on this or that, whether we're doing something or not doing something, I've at least got a consistent position. What happens in other countries is none of our business. What happens in our country is our business.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post

On a serious note, it is significant, as Seamus said. I can't say I expect major changes, though.
    The second sentence cancels the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Too political for Frontroom Random Thoughts, probably.

A mother and her child are eating Iranian food. At some point, the mother says:

No, Russia has a lot of interactions with Iran. It's good, right?*
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    *The food, probably. Humor is the interaction of unrelated clauses. Why are you reading this?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

If you can't make fun out of something death is just a formality

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post

Religious nutters always save the greatest hatred for the most similar. Protestants hate Catholics more than Jews,etc.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Tiresome.

It is a tragedy of the human condition that the aggrieved party almost never takes its rage out on the aggressor. It always seems to be some poor bastard trying to get to work.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 06-13-2017 at 05:35.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Tiresome.

It is a tragedy of the human condition that the aggrieved party almost never takes its rage out on the aggressor. It always seems to be some poor bastard trying to get to work.
    It's like when someone becomes fabulously wealthy by setting up a company that does well due to an educated workforce, good infrastructure, and social provision - and then sees no good reason why the rich should have to pay more for workshy poor people.

We are prone to simplistic thinking. For blaming whatever is in front of us.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    It's like when someone becomes fabulously wealthy by setting up a company that does well due to an educated workforce, good infrastructure, and social provision - and then sees no good reason why the rich should have to pay more for workshy poor people.

We are prone to simplistic thinking. For blaming whatever is in front of us.
    BUT WHO WILL CREATE THE JOBS IF WE DONT TAX DIVIDENS
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.