Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you want Germany to raise military expenses?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Do you want Germany to raise military expenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Japan had Zero interest in building an empire until the Americans came along.
    If you mean Perry's expedition, than you are undoubtedly correct.

They very clearly wanted an Empire in the 1930s+ and were pursuing it. Why Roosevelt thought he could embargo them without them attacking us I will never know for sure. Perhaps he believed the Navy's view of the efficacy of Plan Orange. Though that itself may well have been a product of racist underestimation as much as anything else. I have always suspected that Roosevelt believed he could force the Japanese to back off in China and that the Germans would provide the needed excuse for war themselves by sinking one of our "neutral" USN ships in the North Atlantic. I am virtually certain that Roosevelt wanted to take care of Germany first and without a Pacific war at all.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Japan had Zero interest in building an empire until the Americans came along.
    Oh, and of course the Axis planned to take out Greece and make it part of the empire. I just think that Hitler had no interest in doing so until after the Soviets were broken and the Turks forced into the Axis.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    If you mean Perry's expedition, than you are undoubtedly correct.

They very clearly wanted an Empire in the 1930s+ and were pursuing it. Why Roosevelt thought he could embargo them without them attacking us I will never know for sure. Perhaps he believed the Navy's view of the efficacy of Plan Orange. Though that itself may well have been a product of racist underestimation as much as anything else. I have always suspected that Roosevelt believed he could force the Japanese to back off in China and that the Germans would provide the needed excuse for war themselves by sinking one of our "neutral" USN ships in the North Atlantic. I am virtually certain that Roosevelt wanted to take care of Germany first and without a Pacific war at all.
    I was talking about the aircraft (hence the capitalisation of Zero). The Americans blew them out of the air. Prior to that, they ruled supreme in the theatre.

Of course, most of the actual empire building was done by the Army, but that fact doesn't allow me to play on your post.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Angela Merkel seems to be preparing to rely less on the U.S. (and Britain) for European security.
    So are we talking Germany resurgent or expanding E.U. commitments?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ge...-idUSKBN18O0JK

While it doesn't sound like she is looking at a short-term goal, just how far in the future is the shift?
    It could just be diplomatic signaling; calling Trump's whinging.
    Interesting
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

I think the message is that Germany and Europe cannot go on relying on old military and economic alliances alone. Brexit and Trump made it clear that Europe must rely on its own strength. Therefore I assume she is aiming a European Union that talks with one tongue and walks the talk. That means joined economic and military agenda.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Europe can not afford a military nor is there a political will for a build up. This is nothing more than self pleasure by Merkel.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita...European_Union

The EU already has a large army if one counts everything in it.
    If that were merged into one command structure, redundancies could be flushed out, equipment could be more standardized to realize synergy effects and the EU could easily defend itself. Her rival in the national elections also wants to work towards this goal so Merkel is basically stealing his positions to weasel her way to the next election victory by stealing everybody else's positions as usual.

Merkel is completely without alternative, as usual.
    Just wait, she will become first emperor of the ED in 50 years.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Our enemies fight differently, mass-immigration is the weapon. Thx EU

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Our enemies fight differently, mass-immigration is the weapon. Thx EU
    Oh yeah... Those who had their lives crushed by our enemies are our enemie's weapons. Pure common sense.

Can't help thinking about spanish refugees of 1939. Of course they were some kind of fascist weapon. Obviously. Can you define who you think is our "enemies"? Saudis maybe? Our "friends" are enemies and their victims are agressors. Or more Godwin-like: obviously jewish refugees of the late 30's were nazi agents. Obvious! Ask anyone.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

The idea is simple, destroying national identity to form a strong EU with immigration, google Kizerski-plan if you will. Merkel even won the Kiserski-award, I am so glad that eastern-european countries say screw that.

Can get even more rediculous, the German Merkalist if foreign affairs even stated that we need immigrants to prevent inbreeding. Hmmmmm importing the most inbreeding people in the world to prevent inbreeding ya that makes sense. The EU is our enemy and I salute the Brits

edit, it's Kalergi-plan, I mispelled it. I hope the Merkel is really proud with her Kalergi-price she really deserves it, she can shove up her dry cunt in her barren womb

As for for me, out, as soon as possible
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-30-2017 at 16:39.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

google Kizerski-plan
    Not sure these were the results you were intending...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

The idea is simple, destroying national identity to form a strong EU with immigration, google Kizerski-plan if you will. Merkel even won the Kiserski-award, I am so glad that eastern-european countries say screw that.

Can get even more rediculous, the German Merkalist if foreign affairs even stated that we need immigrants to prevent inbreeding. Hmmmmm importing the most inbreeding people in the world to prevent inbreeding ya that makes sense. The EU is our enemy and I salute the Brits

edit, it's Kalergi-plan, I mispelled it. I hope the Merkel is really proud with her Kalergi-price she really deserves it, she can shove up her dry cunt in her barren womb

As for for me, out, as soon as possible
    Unsubstanciated conspirationnist bullshit. The man wrote odd stuff when aged 30, but it was the 20's. He grew up.
    Do you really think a mix of european nobility and jew's blood (his plan) will soon dominate a degenerate mixed-blood european populace, thanks to refugees? Grow up, then.

And the part about Mrs Merkel's cunt would fit the mouth of a radical Imam very well. See? Inbreeding is already on it's way.
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 05-30-2017 at 18:17.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Wow nice.

That something only a piece of shit would say Fragony.

Fragony really gets worked up over Merkel's lack of offspring, for some reason.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
    Wow nice.

That something only a piece of shit would say Fragony.
    Well feel free to consider me one then, but I really do think she has issues. There is something about the way she looks outt of her eyes that isn't quite right to me, a mixture of dumbstruck lunacy and paasive agression. Apoligies for being vulgar I shouldn'tdo that here
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-30-2017 at 21:02.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Conspiracy theory involving Jews, Freemasons and CIA?

Sign me up!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita...European_Union

The EU already has a large army if one counts everything in it.
    If that were merged into one command structure, redundancies could be flushed out, equipment could be more standardized to realize synergy effects and the EU could easily defend itself. Her rival in the national elections also wants to work towards this goal so Merkel is basically stealing his positions to weasel her way to the next election victory by stealing everybody else's positions as usual.

Merkel is completely without alternative, as usual.
    Just wait, she will become first emperor of the ED in 50 years.
    Yes, well the German army has already more-or-less eaten the Dutch one in terms of command and control.

I doubt there's much redundancy - rather I would say the EU lacks certain things it needs as a larger Great Power - too few Aircraft Carriers, for one.

It suits Merkel to propose unified European Defence, so long as Germany isn't paying for it.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I doubt there's much redundancy - rather I would say the EU lacks certain things it needs as a larger Great Power - too few Aircraft Carriers, for one.
    While it might be a goal for a unified EU bloc to project power, it is not a mainstream goal to project power against the United States. You don't need many aircraft carriers unless you are interested in challenging the USA.

The Continent, North Africa, West Asia, and <Anglo-French> former colonies ought to be managed without extensive naval buildup. Especially if you count out British interests - you can see to yourselves on that end, right?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    You still think of these as separate entities?

Members thankful for this post (3):

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    While it might be a goal for a unified EU bloc to project power, it is not a mainstream goal to project power against the United States. You don't need many aircraft carriers unless you are interested in challenging the USA.

The Continent, North Africa, West Asia, and <Anglo-French> former colonies ought to be managed without extensive naval buildup. Especially if you count out British interests - you can see to yourselves on that end, right?
    We need more Frigates, and we need to knock those bollock stupid ramps off the carriers but, yes, we can protect our own people without outside help, as ever.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fragony really gets worked up over Merkel's lack of offspring, for some reason.
    I think PFH said something similar about Theresa May before too. Something about having no kids means that you have no interest in leaving behind a better future for the country as a motivation.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I think PFH said something similar about Theresa May before too. Something about having no kids means that you have no interest in leaving behind a better future for the country as a motivation.
    No, Andrea Eagle said something similar - I believe I merely observed that the argument was logical, and that not having children does put one out of step with the majority of the population and their experiences.

Most people who do not have children still have families, so they still have a reason to invest in the future.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Sign me up!
    What about Poutine? Can't have a decent conspiracy without him, com'on, be reasonable!!!
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

You actually do need a few aircraft carriers just due to maintenance concerns when on a deployment/patrol then refit repair periods. When the Charles de Gaulle leaves a patrol it is replaced by a US carrier to maintain presence. While Europe wouldn't need many if it wants to maintain a military sphere over the Med and Africa as the French have always done then it needs more carriers or more overseas air bases, transports, and refuelers. If conflict breaks out somewhere a carrier allows for a very quick (relatively) capable presence.

I imagine that an EU bloc would want to maintain sea lanes in the Med, keep Africa relatively stable and ensure that they have enough credibility in the middle east to be able to weigh in on the politics there.

The EU would have to take a lot more power from each member state right now if it wants a true EU military. Would Spanish/EU citizens feel alright with a German or French leader deploying their contingent of Soldiers to the Ukraine or Balkans?

Bear in mind that the world has changed a lot in the last 30 years, what will the demographics and politics be like in the next 20-30 years. There are still several Frozen Conflicts in eastern Europe, the Minsk II agreement has not resolved the Crimea/East Ukraine issues, Kosovo is still a hotspot though much less so. Will the continued preaching of Wahibism by the Saudis throughout Europe's muslim minority ensure that our new norm of terrorism continues or even increases? Will the Balkan nations that fought for independence from Belgrade be happy to give that true independence up again but this time to Brussels?

An EU military would be nice but strong national militaries within the NATO structure in the near-term are certainly the best choice for keeping a credible deterrence both conventional and nuclear without requiring Europe to build up that military-industrial complex it has not political will for.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

The Baltic states present a need (by NATO) for some sort of credible presence in the Baltic Sea.
    How could the alliance prop up those countries w/o a navy?
    Movement of troops/supplies (medicine food ammo etc.) almost require a capable navy.
    If the plan is just to surrender that portion and gird for the larger conflict, Russia will figure that out in short order.
    The ability to threaten/halt Russia's burgeoning oil exports through the Baltic may also require a navy.

http://cimsec.org/baltic-grey-zone-t...rn-flank/31529
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 06-01-2017 at 13:43.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I've just had an epiphany! Shh, stop whatever you're doing. Just listen!

Fragony's going on and on about Merkel being childless. Ok, that's easy to verify. She doesn't have any children, true. We might wonder why it affects him so much, but his statements were true. But now, he mentioned her (paraphrase) "dry vagina". How he knows that, you might wonder. Well, wonder no more good people, I've figured it all out.

Merkel and Fragony were lovers, and above all else he wanted her to have his child. BUT, whenever they tried to have sex, dry vagina was a problem. Fragony pleaded with her, "Angela, let's see a doctor, we can work this out, don't give up on us", but she said "Fragony, you know I love you, but I simply haven't the time. I've got all those refugees to take care off". "Angela, I can't believe that. Don't put them before us, we have something special here! Angela! No, Angela, come back!".

It explains everything. He hates refugees because he lost his beloved Angela to them, he hates Angela because she left him, and how he knows she has atrophic vaginitis.

Members thankful for this post (5):

I've just had an epiphany! Shh, stop whatever you're doing. Just listen!

Fragony's going on and on about Merkel being childless. Ok, that's easy to verify. She doesn't have any children, true. We might wonder why it affects him so much, but his statements were true. But now, he mentioned her (paraphrase) "dry vagina". How he knows that, you might wonder. Well, wonder no more good people, I've figured it all out.

Merkel and Fragony were lovers, and above all else he wanted her to have his child. BUT, whenever they tried to have sex, dry vagina was a problem. Fragony pleaded with her, "Angela, let's see a doctor, we can work this out, don't give up on us", but she said "Fragony, you know I love you, but I simply haven't the time. I've got all those refugees to take care off". "Angela, I can't believe that. Don't put them before us, we have something special here! Angela! No, Angela, come back!".

It explains everything. He hates refugees because he lost his beloved Angela to them, he hates Angela because she left him, and how he knows she has atrophic vaginitis.
    Brilliant, on several levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Brilliant, on several levels.
    Can't deny that was great, I will take my loss and salute

Frags, you are braver than I knew.

Quote Originally Posted by spmetla View Post
    Would Spanish/EU citizens feel alright with a German or French leader deploying their contingent of Soldiers to the Ukraine or Balkans?

Bear in mind that the world has changed a lot in the last 30 years...
    It has changed so much that it isn't THE Ukraine any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast