Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Kidding me, the UK gets out just in time

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    What is the primary consideration - belief that unification of Europe is "good"?

Is it to prevent the continent fighting any more wars? Quite a good idea, that. Good luck to you all - it's working a treat! Seems Russia didn't read the memo - and I thought we had NATO for this one.

Free trade? That precedes the EU of course.
    Unified laws and caps on debt ratios? Great idea. Any idea when France etc are going to y'know, follow them?

Apart from use in rhetorical arguments, what positive changes will there be when the UK leaves the EU? Ministers have promised we'll keep the regulations at a minimum. Immigration will not drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Apart from use in rhetorical arguments, what positive changes will there be when the UK leaves the EU? Ministers have promised we'll keep the regulations at a minimum. Immigration will not drop.
    Yeah and someone once told he she loved me, maybe sbe even did for a whi,e

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Yeah and someone once told he she loved me, maybe sbe even did for a whi,e
    Did someone tell you it'll be great to live in the extra-EU UK? When are you planning to move over here? Are you going to put your money where your mouth is, and live in a country that you promised would be great outside the EU?

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If one could predict the future, one could become very rich very quickly.

What positive changes were there when we joined the EU? Apart from all that money going elsewhere which will definitely help us in the long term.

Regulations tend to increase in or out of the EU. Immigration probably will not drop. If we're lucky there might be more store on the quality that is let in - but I'm not holding my breath. What change ever happens with guaranteed improvements?

I hold no illusions that the UK will somehow be important again and regain the standing of the 1880's. With luck we can become more like Iceland that does its own thing rather than wastes vast sums of resource in throwing its weight around the world. The UK might have some remaining "soft power" but that's it. We should act accordingly.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Did someone tell you it'll be great to live in the extra-EU UK? When are you planning to move over here? Are you going to put your money where your mouth is, and live in a country that you promised would be great outside the EU?
    I do not know what's going to happen, should I really care? I don't, I am just looking at thngs unfolding, you aren't very important to me

I do not know what's going to happen, should I really care? I don't, I am just looking at thngs unfolding, you aren't very important to me
    You seem very keen to cheerlead the British into leaving the EU and saying that it's all going to be great, all the while whilst living within the EU and not looking to live outside it. Just like the neolibs who in the 1990s urged the Russians to subscribe to their theories and saying that all the pain will be worth it, whilst living elsewhere and not having to face the consequences of the actions they urged. I despised the neolibs.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Don't be surprised. People generally lack empathy.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

You want to wreck the UK economy because of that? That's just one step up from voting out because of bendy bananas.
    Do you understand WHY we STILL have two EU Parliaments?

Why is the EU Parliament the only one in the world that can't decide where it sits?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Do you understand WHY we STILL have two EU Parliaments?

Why is the EU Parliament the only one in the world that can't decide where it sits?
    If the issue is that there are two EU Parliaments, shouldn't the solution be to put them both in the same location? Why is this single inefficiency sufficient reason to leave the EU altogether? It's a bit like Scots thinking that the House of Lords is redundant, and thus leaving the UK because of this inefficiency. There's an argument to be made about improving efficiency, but to leave because of this?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

If the issue is that there are two EU Parliaments, shouldn't the solution be to put them both in the same location? Why is this single inefficiency sufficient reason to leave the EU altogether? It's a bit like Scots thinking that the House of Lords is redundant, and thus leaving the UK because of this inefficiency. There's an argument to be made about improving efficiency, but to leave because of this?
    Erm...

There are is a single EU Parliament with TWO buildings. The Parliament has to alternate between Brussels and Strasbourg.

Why?

Well, because it's in the treaty and the French have refused to countenance a change because they want a piece of the EU-pie (The Strasbourg Parliament is the only EU institution in France). As a result everything is duplicated, at greatly offensive expense.

This single example encapsulates, for me, everything wrong with the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Erm...

There are is a single EU Parliament with TWO buildings. The Parliament has to alternate between Brussels and Strasbourg.

Why?

Well, because it's in the treaty and the French have refused to countenance a change because they want a piece of the EU-pie (The Strasbourg Parliament is the only EU institution in France). As a result everything is duplicated, at greatly offensive expense.

This single example encapsulates, for me, everything wrong with the EU.
    Erm, the Royal family? That particular expense is offensive to many. Yet it's kept because it's what it's always been, and it keeps the peace between different political factions. And it's counted by its backers as one of the strengths of the UK.

There's a far greater inefficiency about the EU, but you don't seem to recognise it, and you even counted it as a strength when talking about it in a different context. You said that the UK has a veto in the UN, and that was why you thought UN membership was not an issue. Well, the UK had a veto in the EU too. So does every other member. That's probably at the heart of every supposed inefficiency within the EU. Yet you count that as a strength when the UK has it but not others.

You seem very keen to cheerlead the British into leaving the EU and saying that it's all going to be great, all the while whilst living within the EU and not looking to live outside it. Just like the neolibs who in the 1990s urged the Russians to subscribe to their theories and saying that all the pain will be worth it, whilst living elsewhere and not having to face the consequences of the actions they urged. I despised the neolibs.
    It's very simple, I want it to just cease existing. Eurocrats scare me and I don't like being scared

It's very simple, I want it to just cease existing. Eurocrats scare me and I don't like being scared
    You are a very happy man, if your greatest fear is Eurocrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Member thankful for this post:

And it wants you to cease existing because you scare it. Whose wish will be granted? Will Fragony still be around? Does the EU get a heart attack from the scaryness of it all? Tune in tomorrow for another episode of 'Love in Brussels, the London Chronicles'!

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I hold no illusions that the UK will somehow be important again and regain the standing of the 1880's. With luck we can become more like Iceland that does its own thing rather than wastes vast sums of resource in throwing its weight around the world. The UK might have some remaining "soft power" but that's it. We should act accordingly.
    Iceland has attempted to join the EU once before and is actually debating it again right now (with 2 of the 3 parties who make up the Government coalition being pro-EU).

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    And it wants you to cease existing because you scare it. Whose wish will be granted? Will Fragony still be around? Does the EU get a heart attack from the scaryness of it all? Tune in tomorrow for another episode of 'Love in Brussels, the London Chronicles'!
    You give me the perfect reason to be scared of it, the whole reason to be sared of it. I am simply nothongin their world, 1984 is so outdated, it is 2017. There is no place for me in the EU
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-07-2017 at 14:25.

Erm, the Royal family? That particular expense is offensive to many. Yet it's kept because it's what it's always been, and it keeps the peace between different political factions. And it's counted by its backers as one of the strengths of the UK.
    The idea the Royal Family is expensive only works if you view their private property as actually being "public" property. It isn't, not in any way our Common Law understands. You also need to consider that any replacement President would likely be at least as much of a drain on the Public purse. There would still need to be a Palace, a holiday home, servants...

There's a far greater inefficiency about the EU, but you don't seem to recognise it, and you even counted it as a strength when talking about it in a different context. You said that the UK has a veto in the UN, and that was why you thought UN membership was not an issue. Well, the UK had a veto in the EU too. So does every other member. That's probably at the heart of every supposed inefficiency within the EU. Yet you count that as a strength when the UK has it but not others.
    Yes, I know, I mentioned the French veto in my last post. The national vetoes have been watered down and as a result are now jealously guarded - removing them would also require a new treaty and, frankly, after the Lisbon that's inconceivable without Referenda in most countries.

I think the EU is "stuck" - it can't walk back integration and it can't progress to a full Federal State. The Euro-crisis and its aftermath has exposed the lie that the EU promotes prosperity for all, Spain and Greece are STILL suffering and Italy continues to teeter.

All of this could be fixed with German money or a German suspension of the Euro but that's not something the german Government will do.

Souuthern Seurope is nothing but a proxy because banks can't be saved directly. Especially Greece suffers from this. They aren't gettng anything but beths, all money ihey 'get' is useless.
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-07-2017 at 15:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    You are a very happy man, if your greatest fear is Eurocrats.
    Wll it isn't really

Wll it isn't really
    Do you want to talk about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Do you want to talk about it?

onlyy if you lovingly kiss me first, the type that barely touches your face

onlyy if you lovingly kiss me first, the type that barely touches your face
    Shrinks' ethics forbids it. Unless the shrink is Richard Gere in Final Analysis. Since I'm not, no kisses from me.

Blog Entries

Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (4):

You give me the perfect reason to be scared of it, the whole reason to be sared of it. I am simply nothongin their world, 1984 is so outdated, it is 2017. There is no place for me in the EU
    I'm sure your queen cares deeply about your well-being in contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I'm sure your queen cares deeply about your well-being in contrast.
    Doesn't work, Fragony thinks his royal family is a joke.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I know that, I was just too lazy to look up the PM, was it Rutte?

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    And a poor one

And even poorer one, our beloved queen father died. Of course he didn't know about the thousands of people who were drugged and thrown in the sea to gently sink to death. Bad timing Hussie. That family goes way back to that royal family of mine they helped the nazi's flee to Argentina. Zorriguetta and prince Bernard who was also as wrong as can be knew eachother very well way before WW2
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-09-2017 at 08:34.

No comments from Brexit supporters on the Bombardier affair?

Member thankful for this post:

Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast