Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tyranny vs Dictatorship

  1. #1
    Senior Member Senior Member Othello Champion Montmorency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    7,936

    Default Tyranny vs Dictatorship

    Tyranny of virtue? PVC likes the sound of that, right?
    Vitiate Man.

  2. #2
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    12,541

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Tyranny of virtue? PVC likes the sound of that, right?
    No - there is no such thing as a good Tyranny, which is why I said "Dictatorship".
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  3. #3
    Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posts
    4,109

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    No - there is no such thing as a good Tyranny, which is why I said "Dictatorship".
    But there is a good dictatorship?

    Beware of the Ides of March, PFH.

  4. #4
    The Red Titled Forum Administrator Beskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Albion
    Posts
    15,116

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    But there is a good dictatorship?

    Beware of the Ides of March, PFH.
    PFH believes in a benevolent father-figure dictatorship from prior comments. Unfortunately such people generally don't exist but an Artificial Intelligence director might be the closest thing to such a concept being a success.
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

  5. #5
    Senior Member Senior Member Othello Champion Montmorency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    7,936

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    No - there is no such thing as a good Tyranny, which is why I said "Dictatorship".
    What if you're only tyrannical because we come to love and respect you so much?
    Vitiate Man.

  6. #6
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    12,541

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Don't tempt me, I will make both of you moderators, just to see what happens.

    I think that explains why God gave mankind free-will. he was bored and he just liked to see what kind of things we would get up to when he left people to their own devices in his personal playpen.
    Given that we both live in awe and fear of Banquo the result would likely be polite professionalism and reduced postcount from both of us.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  7. #7
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    12,541

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    But there is a good dictatorship?

    Beware of the Ides of March, PFH.
    Certainly, yes, there are good dictators. Dictators who lay down their power at the time proscribed by the democratic government.

    George Washington is a good example, during the war he was - to all intents and purposes - a Dictator but after the war he lay down his power and sought election as President, and they lay down his power a second time.

    Caesar, on the other hand, was a bad Dictator - he manipulated the State to gather more power than was necessary for the good of said State and to hold it for life. By manipulating the state in such a way he went from legally sanctioned Dictator to illegal Tyrant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    PFH believes in a benevolent father-figure dictatorship from prior comments. Unfortunately such people generally don't exist but an Artificial Intelligence director might be the closest thing to such a concept being a success.
    In an ideal world a "Good King" would be the best kind of ruler, but such a king holds power more than he, or she, uses it. Our current Queen is (mostly) a good example of this but she is not perfect and, as you note, this is not a perfect world.

    An AI would be a terrible idea in my opinion though because - per definition - it would lack that most kingly quality - mercy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    What if you're only tyrannical because we come to love and respect you so much?
    If you elect me to be your ruler that would make me a King, not a Tyrant.

    This discussion of Tyranny vs Dictatorship needs to be split off into a different thread.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  8. #8
    The Red Titled Forum Administrator Beskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Albion
    Posts
    15,116

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    An AI would be a terrible idea in my opinion though because - per definition - it would lack that most kingly quality - mercy.
    I disagree. It actually depends on the programming or self-taught behaviour. The Artificial Intelligence would be able to calculate the instances and impact Mercy would have and be able to facilitate it more effectively. As Mercy as you describe it would led to positive net results within the population, such as raised moral and loyalty to the AI, factors which would be important.

    Big Data AI is a real thing, and it has a multitude of potential and positive effects.The stock market for example is now virtually dominated/controlled by Artificial Intelligence. There are instances where NHS is now currently adopting DeepMind to assist as due to the vast amounts of patient information and data, it would flag up potential problems which may go unnoticed by even experienced staff.

    However, you are correct in the sense that the steps taken are far more logical rather than emotional.Whilst concepts such as Mercy can be logically distilled, there is the potential with a 'human ruler' can be far more arbitrary in its decisions. But is this a good or bad thing?

    I can foresee the use of Big Data AI being used by government to help inform decision making and policies.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-08-2017 at 23:54.
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

  9. #9
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    12,541

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    It's fantastic how this evolved from a thread about moderating to science.
    It actually annoys me, as does the fact that Beskar ignored my request to split the thread when a discussion of the difference between Tyranny and Dictatorship developed.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  10. #10
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Word Up Champion, Burger Time Champion, Shape Game Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Chicken Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Frogger Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Rotation Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Its Mine Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, White Van Man Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Magic Ball Champion, BlackJack Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: What the hell?

    The list of benevolent dictators is short...

    lucius quinctius Cincinnatus, lee kwan yew, perhaps some of the other Romaoi.
    "Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude." -- A. de Tocqueville

    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." -- J.K. Galbraith

    "When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.” -- J. H. Marx

  11. #11
    Senior Member Senior Member Othello Champion Montmorency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    7,936

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Thread hijack: a few years ago I read a paper on the subject of levels of state organization or orientation that included a level beyond the category of "failed state", the feral state. The feral state would be more or less one in which national governance no longer exists and while there is strong governance in a sense, it is either provided by (otherwise-)criminal organizations or 'sanctioned' economic corporations.

    However, looking on Google and Google Scholar, I can't seem to find the relevant paper or any of its references, and searching for "feral state" the results are almost entirely about cats.

    Pls help.
    Vitiate Man.

  12. #12
    Apr 04-Nov 11 Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Between Louis' sheets
    Posts
    10,083

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Is this it?
    https://www.usnwc.edu/getattachment/...ichard-J-.aspx

    got that after plugging in some stuff.
    “I was not designed to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” -Thoreau

    Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers.

    Member thankful for this post:



  13. #13
    Senior Member Senior Member Othello Champion Montmorency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    7,936

    Default Re: What the hell?

    Cities
    Vitiate Man.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO