Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39661339

The Holy Joes have been banned as a religion.

Putin isn't even pretending not to be a Fascist.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

It's April 20 and Vladimir Putin is still a fascist.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

So, a lot of Countries are fascists...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Member thankful for this post:

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Around 70 of them, including South Korea, Singapore. Bulgaria, Georgia, France, China, Japan...

So many fascists in the world.

Or have we reached the stage when anything Putin does is automatically fascist?

-Breaking news! Don't shake hands anymore as Putin was seen shaking hands today, therefore it must be fascist.-

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Banning goes a bit far but they tend to be annoying, especially these fully suited American ones. I am good in sending them off (politeness is key, never ever ever go into a discussion, it's what they want, just say you know they mean well, presto)
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-21-2017 at 08:46.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Around 70 of them, including South Korea, Singapore. Bulgaria, Georgia, France, China, Japan...

Indeed.

So many... I had no idea intolerance was so widespread.

Though maybe some of them are something other than Fascist.

-Breaking news! Don't shake hands anymore as Putin was seen shaking hands today, therefore it must be fascist.-
    I would put it differently: don't shake hands with Putin or you will become a fascist. It is contagious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Banning goes a bit far but they tend to be annoying, especially these fully suited American ones. I am good in sending them off (politeness is key, never ever ever go into a discussion, it's what they want, just say you know they mean well, presto)
    Well, a ten minutes chat on saturday morning with a hangover is always fun for an unbeliever like me. Especially when it's about creationnism and such. Beeing a forest manager they think I should see the beauty of God's creation better than others. And I see the beauty and perfection better than they can even imagine from their dull bigot point of view. I don't even try to convince it's just a question of time, much much time, and typos, many typos. Just don't let them in.

On topic, some good things can happen for bad reasons. If it was my country that did that I'd eagerly wait for the next movement And dream of full banishment of religious ideologies. A dream, for sure.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan View Post
    Well, a ten minutes chat on saturday morning with a hangover is always fun for an unbeliever like me. Especially when it's about creationnism and such. Beeing a forest manager they think I should see the beauty of God's creation better than others.
    Of course you should, with the heritage of Brian Clough to look back on.

I checked on South Korea. Not all Jehovah's Witnesses in South Korea are persecuted. Only the men who refuse to serve the military get arrested over there.
    Wooooo!!!

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I remember correctly, they are mandated by their religion to go door-to-door, and if they don't fulfill it, they go to hell. That explains why they are so keen to preach and try to convince you.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    If I remember correctly, they are mandated by their religion to go door-to-door, and if they don't fulfill it, they go to hell. That explains why they are so keen to preach and try to convince you.
    Eh, isn't "their religion" just a different interpretation of the bible than most other christian denominations? IIRC the door to door thing comes from the basic missionary things that are in the bible, the jehovah name comes from that being the jewish word for the same God christians pray to and so on. They're "just" a different kind of very conservative literalist christian denomination with some cult-like behavior tacked on.
    A bit like a what if Scientology had been founded by a christian.

On that note, you can also look up the list of countries that do not recognize or even ban the Church of Scientology. Or rather, look at the countries where they are tax exempt. Also remember the signature: Scientology is a cu*t.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Objectively speaking though, if you look at what Benito Mussolini did, Vladimir Putin comes closer to it than any other leader has done for a long time. The main difference is that he still pays lip service to the idea of his authority coming from the will of the Russian people; a proper fascist would derive his authority simply from having that authority - might makes right or auctoritas.
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I greet them at the door, thank them for their time, note that I am a devout Catholic, ask God to bless them, and gently shoo them away. Not a difficult issue and there are never any good reasons to be rude.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Husar 

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmetiacos View Post
    Objectively speaking though, if you look at what Benito Mussolini did, Vladimir Putin comes closer to it than any other leader has done for a long time. The main difference is that he still pays lip service to the idea of his authority coming from the will of the Russian people; a proper fascist would derive his authority simply from having that authority - might makes right or auctoritas.
    Actually, I would suggest that only Franco rested everything on a "might makes right" platform. Both Mussolini and Hitler used the political systems as were to rise to power and then were VERY assiduous in using their claims regarding the "will of the people" to retain their status as champion of the people. The sold the idea that they embodied the will of the people and therefore were empowered to act as THE leader. Call it propaganda, call it "smoke and mirrors," put it down to stacking the crowd to be televised or what-not. They managed to sell the concept well enough that people tacitly accepted it.

ou cannot rule absent the consent of the ruled, and pure coercion is impossible in the long term due to resources required to maintain it. You CAN manufacture that consent and -- the term used by critical theorists is concertive control -- use messages, institutions, and some coercion to enact a situation where the governed police themselves. THAT is what the fascist dictator strives for. Or, to use your Romanesque reference, they used auctoritas to beget gravitas and presumed dignitas (both elements of making the leader the symbol of the people being lead) which in turn granted ever greater auctoritas.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Never met a Jehovah Witness in my life.

Here only the Orthodox Church is begging for money, especially during the holiday of the Epiphany, when they send hundreds of Orthodox South-Koreans to ring the bells of houses.
    Maybe it's related to the fact that only the Orthodox Church is allowed to proselytise and we ten to take blasphemy laws somewhat seriously.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence, because I have see Mormons selling their book, but they spoke only French, not even English, so there's a considerable chance that nobody understood they were violating our constitution.

Are the Jehovah Witnesses really that onboxious or is it just an exaggerated urban legend?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Actually, I would suggest that only Franco rested everything on a "might makes right" platform. Both Mussolini and Hitler used the political systems as were to rise to power and then were VERY assiduous in using their claims regarding the "will of the people" to retain their status as champion of the people. The sold the idea that they embodied the will of the people and therefore were empowered to act as THE leader. Call it propaganda, call it "smoke and mirrors," put it down to stacking the crowd to be televised or what-not. They managed to sell the concept well enough that people tacitly accepted it.

ou cannot rule absent the consent of the ruled, and pure coercion is impossible in the long term due to resources required to maintain it. You CAN manufacture that consent and -- the term used by critical theorists is concertive control -- use messages, institutions, and some coercion to enact a situation where the governed police themselves. THAT is what the fascist dictator strives for. Or, to use your Romanesque reference, they used auctoritas to beget gravitas and presumed dignitas (both elements of making the leader the symbol of the people being lead) which in turn granted ever greater auctoritas.
    Of course, dictators are constitutional, and both Mussolini and Hitler rose to power by constitutional means. You can be a popular leader without constitutional requirements though, holding power through implicit popular approval. That would be an old school Greek tyrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Are the Jehovah Witnesses really that onboxious or is it just an exaggerated urban legend?
    Urban I can't say. Rural, quite a bit here in France. I remember three years ago, local elections, I saw people in suits stalking villages all around when I was coming back from work the forest.
    Misery! I thought. The Sarkozists are on the move, better hide. When they came knocking at my door later I discovered those were just Jehovah Witnesses, what a relief!
    If I remember well I was so happy I maybe was a bit uncivil. For once.

"Mine" are a couple in their mid-thirties, with strange eyes and with two young kids. A two years-old boy and a five years old girl. I always feel uneasy for them, give them a smile and think about the french proverb: "les plus belles roses poussent sur les tas de fumier".

The most beautiful roses grow on dung heaps.

Good luck, children!

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Never met a Jehovah Witness in my life.

Here only the Orthodox Church is begging for money, especially during the holiday of the Epiphany, when they send hundreds of Orthodox South-Koreans to ring the bells of houses.
    Maybe it's related to the fact that only the Orthodox Church is allowed to proselytise and we ten to take blasphemy laws somewhat seriously.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence, because I have see Mormons selling their book, but they spoke only French, not even English, so there's a considerable chance that nobody understood they were violating our constitution.

Generally speaking, they are lovely people - as are Mormons.

However, other people find their insistent attempts to save your soul annoying, and so they say nasty things about them.

Generally speaking they will leave you alone if you firmly declare a religion.

Or have we reached the stage when anything Putin does is automatically fascist?

Witnesses are not banned in France, were not when I was living there. They were a great source of fun with their books and speeches. Might have change if they broke the law...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    I just tell them I am atheist, and it works wonders...

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Generally speaking, they are lovely people - as are Mormons.

However, other people find their insistent attempts to save your soul annoying, and so they say nasty things about them.

They're among the most decent evangelists I've met or seen. I'm against evangelism as a rule, but I find them pleasantly moderate. That said, the brand of witnessism I've seen in person is akin to the famed Church of England tea and scones extremism.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

How aren't they shot in Texas?

They're polite. Persistent, but polite. If ordered off a property, they wish you a good day and depart.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

They tend to be "European-American"
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (3):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I greet them at the door, thank them for their time, note that I am a devout Catholic, ask God to bless them, and gently shoo them away. Not a difficult issue and there are never any good reasons to be rude.
    I also remain nice. I am not religious and I politily tell them, I feel no need to be mean to them as I know they mean it well. Conversation ends really fast.

Evidently, all those nice polite and a little bit annoying JWs are found everywhere OUTSIDE Russia. Once they cross into Russia they change completely. The reasons they were banned in Russia were extremism and fomenting bigotry, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    The reasons they were banned in Russia were extremism and fomenting bigotry, or something like that.
    Things only the official Orthodox Church can do. Since they are the ones who preach the real truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Evidently, all those nice polite and a little bit annoying JWs are found everywhere OUTSIDE Russia. Once they cross into Russia they change completely. The reasons they were banned in Russia were extremism and fomenting bigotry, or something like that.
    I think that may be a bit simplistic. A lot of cultists are nice when they want to recruit you, even ISIS recruiters are probably very nice people if you're the kind of person they want. That doesn't mean the entire organization is always nice to everyone.

[Take the US army for example, it's a cult that promises poor young men a lot of things, then delivers on some and less so on others. They may give them an education but if they lose an extremity or two in a war, they will have to stand in line and fill out tons of paperwork only for the VA to try everything it can to deny them treatment or be too incompetentent to handle their request (in a timely manner). And if these men decide in the middle of a firefight that this cult isn't for them, the cult leaders will threaten them with guns to make them stay. All of this is most likely not part of the standard recruitment talks however. Upon recruitment, they will appear very nice and friendly and talk about all the things they have to offer these men.]

*The part in [] may contain content that is not meant entirely seriously.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I think that may be a bit simplistic. A lot of cultists are nice when they want to recruit you, even ISIS recruiters are probably very nice people if you're the kind of person they want. That doesn't mean the entire organization is always nice to everyone.
    In other words, you believe the charges against JW?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast