Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44

Thread: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

  1. #1
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    12,747

    Default Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39661339

    The Holy Joes have been banned as a religion.

    Putin isn't even pretending not to be a Fascist.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  2. #2
    Apr 04-Nov 11 Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Between Louis' sheets
    Posts
    10,178

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    It's April 20 and Vladimir Putin is still a fascist.
    “I was not designed to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” -Thoreau

    Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers.


  3. #3
    Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    So, a lot of Countries are fascists...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

    "I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

    Member thankful for this post:



  4. #4
    Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posts
    4,204

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Around 70 of them, including South Korea, Singapore. Bulgaria, Georgia, France, China, Japan...

    So many fascists in the world.

    Or have we reached the stage when anything Putin does is automatically fascist?

    -Breaking news! Don't shake hands anymore as Putin was seen shaking hands today, therefore it must be fascist.-

    Member thankful for this post:



  5. #5
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    29,765

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Banning goes a bit far but they tend to be annoying, especially these fully suited American ones. I am good in sending them off (politeness is key, never ever ever go into a discussion, it's what they want, just say you know they mean well, presto)
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-21-2017 at 08:46.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 


    this supports and the people from

  6. #6
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    12,747

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Around 70 of them, including South Korea, Singapore. Bulgaria, Georgia, France, China, Japan...

    So many fascists in the world.
    Indeed.

    So many... I had no idea intolerance was so widespread.

    Though maybe some of them are something other than Fascist.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  7. #7
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,181

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    -Breaking news! Don't shake hands anymore as Putin was seen shaking hands today, therefore it must be fascist.-
    I would put it differently: don't shake hands with Putin or you will become a fascist. It is contagious.

  8. #8
    Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Under my sons the Oaks, eastern France
    Posts
    807

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Banning goes a bit far but they tend to be annoying, especially these fully suited American ones. I am good in sending them off (politeness is key, never ever ever go into a discussion, it's what they want, just say you know they mean well, presto)
    Well, a ten minutes chat on saturday morning with a hangover is always fun for an unbeliever like me. Especially when it's about creationnism and such. Beeing a forest manager they think I should see the beauty of God's creation better than others. And I see the beauty and perfection better than they can even imagine from their dull bigot point of view. I don't even try to convince it's just a question of time, much much time, and typos, many typos. Just don't let them in.

    On topic, some good things can happen for bad reasons. If it was my country that did that I'd eagerly wait for the next movement And dream of full banishment of religious ideologies. A dream, for sure.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

    Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

  9. #9
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,875

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan View Post
    Well, a ten minutes chat on saturday morning with a hangover is always fun for an unbeliever like me. Especially when it's about creationnism and such. Beeing a forest manager they think I should see the beauty of God's creation better than others.
    Of course you should, with the heritage of Brian Clough to look back on.

  10. #10
    Member Member Shaka_Khan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Around 70 of them, including South Korea, Singapore. Bulgaria, Georgia, France, China, Japan...
    I checked on South Korea. Not all Jehovah's Witnesses in South Korea are persecuted. Only the men who refuse to serve the military get arrested over there.
    Wooooo!!!

  11. #11
    The Red Titled Forum Administrator Beskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Albion
    Posts
    15,338

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    If I remember correctly, they are mandated by their religion to go door-to-door, and if they don't fulfill it, they go to hell. That explains why they are so keen to preach and try to convince you.
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

  12. #12
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    14,594

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    If I remember correctly, they are mandated by their religion to go door-to-door, and if they don't fulfill it, they go to hell. That explains why they are so keen to preach and try to convince you.
    Eh, isn't "their religion" just a different interpretation of the bible than most other christian denominations? IIRC the door to door thing comes from the basic missionary things that are in the bible, the jehovah name comes from that being the jewish word for the same God christians pray to and so on. They're "just" a different kind of very conservative literalist christian denomination with some cult-like behavior tacked on.
    A bit like a what if Scientology had been founded by a christian.

    On that note, you can also look up the list of countries that do not recognize or even ban the Church of Scientology. Or rather, look at the countries where they are tax exempt. Also remember the signature: Scientology is a cu*t.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  13. #13
    Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Forests of Roestoc
    Posts
    1,209

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Objectively speaking though, if you look at what Benito Mussolini did, Vladimir Putin comes closer to it than any other leader has done for a long time. The main difference is that he still pays lip service to the idea of his authority coming from the will of the Russian people; a proper fascist would derive his authority simply from having that authority - might makes right or auctoritas.
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

  14. #14
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Word Up Champion, Burger Time Champion, Shape Game Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Chicken Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Frogger Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Rotation Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Its Mine Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, White Van Man Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Magic Ball Champion, BlackJack Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    9,868

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Banning goes a bit far but they tend to be annoying, especially these fully suited American ones. I am good in sending them off (politeness is key, never ever ever go into a discussion, it's what they want, just say you know they mean well, presto)
    I greet them at the door, thank them for their time, note that I am a devout Catholic, ask God to bless them, and gently shoo them away. Not a difficult issue and there are never any good reasons to be rude.
    "Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude." -- A. de Tocqueville

    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." -- J.K. Galbraith

    "When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.” -- J. H. Marx

    Member thankful for this post:

    Husar 


  15. #15
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Word Up Champion, Burger Time Champion, Shape Game Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Chicken Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Frogger Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Rotation Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Its Mine Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, White Van Man Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Magic Ball Champion, BlackJack Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    9,868

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmetiacos View Post
    Objectively speaking though, if you look at what Benito Mussolini did, Vladimir Putin comes closer to it than any other leader has done for a long time. The main difference is that he still pays lip service to the idea of his authority coming from the will of the Russian people; a proper fascist would derive his authority simply from having that authority - might makes right or auctoritas.
    Actually, I would suggest that only Franco rested everything on a "might makes right" platform. Both Mussolini and Hitler used the political systems as were to rise to power and then were VERY assiduous in using their claims regarding the "will of the people" to retain their status as champion of the people. The sold the idea that they embodied the will of the people and therefore were empowered to act as THE leader. Call it propaganda, call it "smoke and mirrors," put it down to stacking the crowd to be televised or what-not. They managed to sell the concept well enough that people tacitly accepted it.

    ou cannot rule absent the consent of the ruled, and pure coercion is impossible in the long term due to resources required to maintain it. You CAN manufacture that consent and -- the term used by critical theorists is concertive control -- use messages, institutions, and some coercion to enact a situation where the governed police themselves. THAT is what the fascist dictator strives for. Or, to use your Romanesque reference, they used auctoritas to beget gravitas and presumed dignitas (both elements of making the leader the symbol of the people being lead) which in turn granted ever greater auctoritas.
    "Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude." -- A. de Tocqueville

    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." -- J.K. Galbraith

    "When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.” -- J. H. Marx

  16. #16
    Member Member Crandar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Alpine Subtundra
    Posts
    559

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Never met a Jehovah Witness in my life.

    Here only the Orthodox Church is begging for money, especially during the holiday of the Epiphany, when they send hundreds of Orthodox South-Koreans to ring the bells of houses.
    Maybe it's related to the fact that only the Orthodox Church is allowed to proselytise and we ten to take blasphemy laws somewhat seriously.

    Or maybe it's just a coincidence, because I have see Mormons selling their book, but they spoke only French, not even English, so there's a considerable chance that nobody understood they were violating our constitution.

    Are the Jehovah Witnesses really that onboxious or is it just an exaggerated urban legend?

  17. #17
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,875

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Actually, I would suggest that only Franco rested everything on a "might makes right" platform. Both Mussolini and Hitler used the political systems as were to rise to power and then were VERY assiduous in using their claims regarding the "will of the people" to retain their status as champion of the people. The sold the idea that they embodied the will of the people and therefore were empowered to act as THE leader. Call it propaganda, call it "smoke and mirrors," put it down to stacking the crowd to be televised or what-not. They managed to sell the concept well enough that people tacitly accepted it.

    ou cannot rule absent the consent of the ruled, and pure coercion is impossible in the long term due to resources required to maintain it. You CAN manufacture that consent and -- the term used by critical theorists is concertive control -- use messages, institutions, and some coercion to enact a situation where the governed police themselves. THAT is what the fascist dictator strives for. Or, to use your Romanesque reference, they used auctoritas to beget gravitas and presumed dignitas (both elements of making the leader the symbol of the people being lead) which in turn granted ever greater auctoritas.
    Of course, dictators are constitutional, and both Mussolini and Hitler rose to power by constitutional means. You can be a popular leader without constitutional requirements though, holding power through implicit popular approval. That would be an old school Greek tyrant.

    Member thankful for this post:



  18. #18
    Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Under my sons the Oaks, eastern France
    Posts
    807

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Are the Jehovah Witnesses really that onboxious or is it just an exaggerated urban legend?
    Urban I can't say. Rural, quite a bit here in France. I remember three years ago, local elections, I saw people in suits stalking villages all around when I was coming back from work the forest.
    Misery! I thought. The Sarkozists are on the move, better hide. When they came knocking at my door later I discovered those were just Jehovah Witnesses, what a relief!
    If I remember well I was so happy I maybe was a bit uncivil. For once.

    "Mine" are a couple in their mid-thirties, with strange eyes and with two young kids. A two years-old boy and a five years old girl. I always feel uneasy for them, give them a smile and think about the french proverb: "les plus belles roses poussent sur les tas de fumier".

    The most beautiful roses grow on dung heaps.

    Good luck, children!
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

    Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

  19. #19
    Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    12,747

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Never met a Jehovah Witness in my life.

    Here only the Orthodox Church is begging for money, especially during the holiday of the Epiphany, when they send hundreds of Orthodox South-Koreans to ring the bells of houses.
    Maybe it's related to the fact that only the Orthodox Church is allowed to proselytise and we ten to take blasphemy laws somewhat seriously.

    Or maybe it's just a coincidence, because I have see Mormons selling their book, but they spoke only French, not even English, so there's a considerable chance that nobody understood they were violating our constitution.

    Are the Jehovah Witnesses really that onboxious or is it just an exaggerated urban legend?
    Generally speaking, they are lovely people - as are Mormons.

    However, other people find their insistent attempts to save your soul annoying, and so they say nasty things about them.

    Generally speaking they will leave you alone if you firmly declare a religion.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."


  20. #20
    Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Around 70 of them, including South Korea, Singapore. Bulgaria, Georgia, France, China, Japan...

    So many fascists in the world.

    Or have we reached the stage when anything Putin does is automatically fascist?

    -Breaking news! Don't shake hands anymore as Putin was seen shaking hands today, therefore it must be fascist.-
    Witnesses are not banned in France, were not when I was living there. They were a great source of fun with their books and speeches. Might have change if they broke the law...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

    "I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

  21. #21
    Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Generally speaking they will leave you alone if you firmly declare a religion.
    I just tell them I am atheist, and it works wonders...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

    "I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

  22. #22
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,875

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Generally speaking, they are lovely people - as are Mormons.

    However, other people find their insistent attempts to save your soul annoying, and so they say nasty things about them.

    Generally speaking they will leave you alone if you firmly declare a religion.
    They're among the most decent evangelists I've met or seen. I'm against evangelism as a rule, but I find them pleasantly moderate. That said, the brand of witnessism I've seen in person is akin to the famed Church of England tea and scones extremism.

  23. #23
    Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posts
    4,204

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    How aren't they shot in Texas?

  24. #24
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Word Up Champion, Burger Time Champion, Shape Game Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Chicken Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Frogger Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Rotation Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Its Mine Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, White Van Man Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Magic Ball Champion, BlackJack Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    9,868

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    How aren't they shot in Texas?
    They're polite. Persistent, but polite. If ordered off a property, they wish you a good day and depart.
    "Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude." -- A. de Tocqueville

    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." -- J.K. Galbraith

    "When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.” -- J. H. Marx

  25. #25
    Apr 04-Nov 11 Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Between Louis' sheets
    Posts
    10,178

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    How aren't they shot in Texas?
    They tend to be "European-American"
    “I was not designed to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” -Thoreau

    Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers.

    Members thankful for this post (3):



  26. #26
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    29,765

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I greet them at the door, thank them for their time, note that I am a devout Catholic, ask God to bless them, and gently shoo them away. Not a difficult issue and there are never any good reasons to be rude.
    I also remain nice. I am not religious and I politily tell them, I feel no need to be mean to them as I know they mean it well. Conversation ends really fast.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 


    this supports and the people from

  27. #27
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,181

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Evidently, all those nice polite and a little bit annoying JWs are found everywhere OUTSIDE Russia. Once they cross into Russia they change completely. The reasons they were banned in Russia were extremism and fomenting bigotry, or something like that.

  28. #28
    Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Under my sons the Oaks, eastern France
    Posts
    807

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    The reasons they were banned in Russia were extremism and fomenting bigotry, or something like that.
    Things only the official Orthodox Church can do. Since they are the ones who preach the real truth.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

    Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

    Member thankful for this post:



  29. #29
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    14,594

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Evidently, all those nice polite and a little bit annoying JWs are found everywhere OUTSIDE Russia. Once they cross into Russia they change completely. The reasons they were banned in Russia were extremism and fomenting bigotry, or something like that.
    I think that may be a bit simplistic. A lot of cultists are nice when they want to recruit you, even ISIS recruiters are probably very nice people if you're the kind of person they want. That doesn't mean the entire organization is always nice to everyone.

    [Take the US army for example, it's a cult that promises poor young men a lot of things, then delivers on some and less so on others. They may give them an education but if they lose an extremity or two in a war, they will have to stand in line and fill out tons of paperwork only for the VA to try everything it can to deny them treatment or be too incompetentent to handle their request (in a timely manner). And if these men decide in the middle of a firefight that this cult isn't for them, the cult leaders will threaten them with guns to make them stay. All of this is most likely not part of the standard recruitment talks however. Upon recruitment, they will appear very nice and friendly and talk about all the things they have to offer these men.]

    *The part in [] may contain content that is not meant entirely seriously.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  30. #30
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,181

    Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I think that may be a bit simplistic. A lot of cultists are nice when they want to recruit you, even ISIS recruiters are probably very nice people if you're the kind of person they want. That doesn't mean the entire organization is always nice to everyone.
    In other words, you believe the charges against JW?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO