Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    They tend to be "European-American"
    All the ones in Florida have been salt and pepper teams -- all female.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    All the ones in Florida have been salt and pepper teams -- all female.
    Not a bad idea for recruiting purposes. JW and evangelicals in general are making massive inroads in the hispanic communities. It's fascinating.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    In other words, you believe the charges against JW?
    I believe in typical Russian fashion it is a probably politically motivated reaction that is probably also too violent in terms of police action being taken, but I also believe they may not be entirely innocent of all the charges.

A good lie tends to be built on a truth after all.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

My opinion isn't gonna be much relevant here, as I wouldn't consider banning all religions worldwide a bad thing, but JH are particularly bad.

Not so much because they are annoying but because their interpretation of faith can lead to deaths of innocent people. If you're an adult who refuses blood transfusion and then dies, that's all right. You're an idiot, you won't be missed. But if you withhold proper medical care from a child who needs a blood transfusion or a dialysis, or put pressure on another adult to refuse, you deserve bad things to happen to you.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    A good lie tends to be built on a truth after all.
    Not relevant for Russian propaganda. They go by Goebbels' principle "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Not so much because they are annoying but because their interpretation of faith can lead to deaths of innocent people.
    Then there is no reason to dislike JW especially. It may also be true of other religions (e.g. Islam). In modern world interpretation is much more important that the original.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

My opinion isn't gonna be much relevant here, as I wouldn't consider banning all religions worldwide a bad thing, but JH are particularly bad.

Not so much because they are annoying but because their interpretation of faith can lead to deaths of innocent people. If you're an adult who refuses blood transfusion and then dies, that's all right. You're an idiot, you won't be missed. But if you withhold proper medical care from a child who needs a blood transfusion or a dialysis, or put pressure on another adult to refuse, you deserve bad things to happen to you.
    That's totally fair I guess. There is a much bigger problem called the Vatican than though if you really care about that, picking out JW is off if you (imho rightfully) dislike religions. No offence intended to religious orgahs

Then there is no reason to dislike JW especially. It may also be true of other religions (e.g. Islam). In modern world interpretation is much more important that the original.
    True, but with Islam and most other faiths, 99,99% of people following it don't take it literally. For the small part that does and gets innocents hurt, I have the same disdain. JH take it literally, that's the whole point. You can't be a JH if you don't take it literally.

I remember a story my mother told me (MD), when they had a JH woman who was going to do unless she gets dialysis. At first she refused, but as her condition got worse, she started wavering. The organization found out and they posted someone every day to sit next to her bed to make sure she doesn't get it. In the end, nurses managed to get her to agree and they did it at night.

She was an adult, so it might make sense to say, it's her decision, screw it. But what when some idiot parents do that to a child, and it's too late by the time legal actions can reverse their decision?

So, **** Jehova's Witnesses and all other religious nutjobs that hurt other people to preserve their own beliefs.

JH take it literally, that's the whole point. You can't be a JH if you don't take it literally.
    I'm sure by JH you meant JHI, i.e. Janissary Heavy Infantry?

So, **** Jehova's Witnesses and all other religious nutjobs that hurt other people to preserve their own beliefs.
    Again, being nutjobs or letting innocent people die were not the charges levelled at them in Russia. All their shortcomings notwithstanding, I greatly doubt JW can be qualified as an extremist organization. The reason why it happened is (I believe) Russian orthodoxy got exasperated at them stealing their flock (and consequently, money).
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 04-23-2017 at 19:30.

The reason why it happened is (I believe) Russian orthodoxy got exasperated at them stealing their flock (and consequently, money).
    It probably had something to do with it, but I doubt that's the only reason. You won't find me defending Russian Church, though. I'm not overly fond of any religious organization and Russian Orthodox Church tends to be even more gung ho than the rest.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

It probably had something to do with it, but I doubt that's the only reason. You won't find me defending Russian Church, though. I'm not overly fond of any religious organization and Russian Orthodox Church tends to be even more gung ho than the rest.
    Join the Church of England! Probably the softest, most ineffectual denomination around. Believing in traditional English customs is an ideal. Believing in God is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    J Believing in traditional English customs is an ideal. Believing in God is optional.
    Knowing the founder's (Henry VIII) ways, it is no wonder.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Well he died horribly or was that another one, can't keep track

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12