Poll: What Government power would you prefer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred Political Government Power?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Preferred Political Government Power?

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Right wingers are simplistic people. They prefer the anecdote, the generality, the known association.
    Poppycock. Right wingers are no more or less simplistic --as in craving of cognitive simplicity -- as is the progressive. There are rafts of those persons who revel in me & mine good/you & yours bad or suspect thinking on both (all) ends of the political spectrum. If you sir, appreciate or at least tolerate the ambiguities of reality better than many (and I think you do), be happy in your ability to cope with that degree of uncertainty. Many of our peers -- on both sides -- prefer simpler answers (sometimes even when they know they should not).
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Poppycock. Right wingers are no more or less simplistic --as in craving of cognitive simplicity -- as is the progressive. There are rafts of those persons who revel in me & mine good/you & yours bad or suspect thinking on both (all) ends of the political spectrum. If you sir, appreciate or at least tolerate the ambiguities of reality better than many (and I think you do), be happy in your ability to cope with that degree of uncertainty. Many of our peers -- on both sides -- prefer simpler answers (sometimes even when they know they should not).
    Sorry seamus, you are more right wing than me, but in a more acceptable, thoughtful way. You aren't really what I targeting in my unsubtle digs at Greyblades. He's a tory. And an archetypal English tory. The kind that run in packs, and don't believe they need to think as they already know it all. Blind to how they got where they are and carrying around a familiar and unquestioned sense of entitlement, like a stray dog carries fleas.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

For communism to work, human cognitive development needs to be on a much lower or much higher level than it is now.

That said, there's no reason why we shouldn't take some good aspects of communism and apply them in a more democratic political system.

The best thing about communism (besides pulling some countries out of a feudal society into an industrial one within a short time) is that it kept capitalism in check, and forced capitalist societies to acknowledge issues of workers and middle class. After the demise of communism, we've generally seen middle class dwindling and the wealthiest class of society becoming even wealthier in most countries, with indications that the trend is going to continue.

Member thankful for this post:

Idaho 

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    For communism to work, human cognitive development needs to be on a much lower or much higher level than it is now.

That said, there's no reason why we shouldn't take some good aspects of communism and apply them in a more democratic political system.

The best thing about communism (besides pulling some countries out of a feudal society into an industrial one within a short time) is that it kept capitalism in check, and forced capitalist societies to acknowledge issues of workers and middle class. After the demise of communism, we've generally seen middle class dwindling and the wealthiest class of society becoming even wealthier in most countries, with indications that the trend is going to continue.
    Here's a bit for a socio-political thriller series - just an intro scene for the pilot:

A spokesman from the US armed forces steps onto the podium to address a joint session of Congress. Reading dryly from the prepared statement, he announces that the armed forces have approved the official position that the top security threat facing the United States and its interests is "wealth disparity, stagnant standards of living, and corporate class warfare". Uproar ensues. While the functionary sweats at the podium waiting for a chance to continue reciting the document, we get a variety of wide and close shots of the pandemonium between the Reps and Senators.

Not even all that far-fetched, really.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 05-12-2017 at 20:58.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Sorry seamus, you are more right wing than me, but in a more acceptable, thoughtful way. You aren't really what I targeting in my unsubtle digs at Greyblades. He's a tory. And an archetypal English tory. The kind that run in packs, and don't believe they need to think as they already know it all. Blind to how they got where they are and carrying around a familiar and unquestioned sense of entitlement, like a stray dog carries fleas.
    You mean Thatcherite. There are also the old school One Nation Tories, whom I greatly respect, who balance their belief in conservative institutions with an equal belief in fulfilling duties and responsibilities. Thatcherites take the worst aspects of liberalism and conservatism and combine them into a sense of self entitlement without admitting any responsibilities.

Blog Entries

Funny, I thought we were calling it blairism these days.

Coming from the person who considers everyone right of stalin is a tory I find myself unable to take the disdane as anything but affirmation of sanity.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    You mean Thatcherite. There are also the old school One Nation Tories, whom I greatly respect, who balance their belief in conservative institutions with an equal belief in fulfilling duties and responsibilities. Thatcherites take the worst aspects of liberalism and conservatism and combine them into a sense of self entitlement without admitting any responsibilities.
    Definitely tory. What you describe as one nation tory, is the overlap between you and PVC. You are both natural whigs.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

You are both natural whigs.
    Forgive me, but how do the 19th-century Whigs compare to modern Liberal Democrats?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12