Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Look Away Politically Incorrect Information on Slavery in the CSA, America, and World

Default Re: Look Away Politically Incorrect Information on Slavery in the CSA, America, and W

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Yes, I agree. Also, the other factor is the difference between the work in the plantations and the factory. Skilled workers are needed for factories, who need to be motivated by a regular salary, something not necessary for a slave tasked to collect cotton or tobacco.
    I would say the opposite, slave wager gave no incentive or proper motivator while slavery did provide that opportunity up to earning your freedom. But I think both were a mix.
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.” Malcolm maggeridge

The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going. Proverbs -14.15
    The first to present his case seems right,till another comes forward and questions him -Proverbs 18.17

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    Genesis 1.1

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Default Re: Look Away Politically Incorrect Information on Slavery in the CSA, America, and W

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Why did I not think to run it through the FWSE?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by total relism View Post
    You have to admire the conviction of a man like that. However, it is likely he was impacted by works of fiction like uncle toms cabin.
    Have you heard of the West Africa Squadron, established in 1808? Uncle Tom's Cabin was published in 1852.

From the autobiography of Nat Love ("Deadwood Dick"), a black cowboy:

Is there a man living today who would be willing to do the work performed by the slaves of that time for the same returns, his care and keep? No, my friends, we did it because we were forced to do it by the dominant race. We had as task masters, in many instances, perfect devils in human form, men who delighted in torturing the black human beings, over whom chance and the accident of birth had placed them. I have seen men beaten to the ground with the butts of the long whips carried by these brutal overseers, and for no other reason than that they could not raise to their shoulders a load sufficient for four men to carry. I have seen the long, cruel lash curl around the shoulders of women who refused to comply with the licentious wishes of the men who owned them, body and soul—did I say soul? No, they did not own their soul; that belonged to God alone, and many are the souls that have returned to him who gave them, rather than submit to the desires of their masters, desires to which submission was worse than death. I have seen the snake-like lash draw blood from the tender limbs of mere babies, hardly more than able to toddle, their only offense being that their skin was black. And young as I was my blood often boiled as I witnessed these cruel sights, knowing that they were allowed by the laws of the land in which I was born. I used to think it was not the country's fault, but the fault of the men who made the laws. Of all the curses of this fair land, the greatest curse of all was the slave auction block of the south, where human flesh was bought and sold. Husbands were torn from their wives, the baby from its mother's breast, and the most sacred commands of God were violated under the guise of modern law, or the law of the land, which for more than two hundred years has boasted of its freedom, and the freedom of its people.

Some of the slaves, like us, had kind and indulgent masters. These were lucky indeed, as their lot was somewhat improved over their less fortunate brothers, but even their lot was the same as that of the horse or cow of the present day. They were never allowed to get anything in the nature of education, as smart negroes were not in much demand at that time, and the reason was too apparent, education meant the death of the institution of slavery in this country, and so the slave owners took good care that their slaves got none of it.

Go and see the play of "Uncle Tom's Cabin," and you will see the black man's life as I saw it when a child. And Harriett Beecher Stowe, the black man's Saviour, well deserves the sacred shrine she holds, along with the great Lincoln, in the black man's heart.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Have you heard of the West Africa Squadron, established in 1808? Uncle Tom's Cabin was published in 1852.
    It would appear my hypothesis was off, thanks.
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.” Malcolm maggeridge

The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going. Proverbs -14.15
    The first to present his case seems right,till another comes forward and questions him -Proverbs 18.17

Genesis 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    From the autobiography of Nat Love ("Deadwood Dick"), a black cowboy:
    First I dont wish to claim in my op all slaves were treated well, i said a few times that was not the case. However I must point out a few things. I am assuming this is one of the abolitionist slave auto biographies, am I incorrect? If so there is some info that needs to be said.

“Ex-slave narratives in general...were issued with so much abolitionist editing that as a class their authenticity is doubtful”
    U.B Phillips Yale University Professor of History

Why not to Trust Them

They are few in number compared to slave narratives with only around 100 compared to over 2,200 of the FWP collection. Even if everyone is accepted as truth, it would just prove that slavery as generally was done in the south or as portrayed in the slave narratives, was not universal. You can find more total “bad” accounts of slavery in the slave narratives than in the auto biographies. The biographies give such a universal bad view of slavery, are at odds with multiple sources of slavery from sources other than the slave narratives. Unlike slave narratives that give both positive and negative.

These documents were financially supported and edited by abolitionist. They were a collection of political document and are rejected by many historians. “Embellished tales” written highly romantic in the style of popular novels of the day. They all are almost identical, and they used a master outline from Douglass book [highly successful abolitionist work]. Uniformity and repetitiveness.

“The writings range from outright frauds, such as the account by James Williams and perhaps Charles Ball and Harriett Jacobs, to certainty highly blemished tales... They were more a political document than they were a historical document.”
    -John C Perry Myths and Realities of American Slavery

They contain philosophy, religion and moral persuasion that would appear to be well beyond the typical slave [especially since they all said they were not allowed to read].

Also there is not one section of your quote that is not contradicted/refuted in my op. Showing the questionable reliability of the claims used.

"Go and see the play of "Uncle Tom's Cabin," and you will see the black man's life as I saw it when a child. And Harriett Beecher Stowe, the black man's Saviour, well deserves the sacred shrine she holds, along with the great Lincoln, in the black man's heart."

“All de slaves hate de Yankees an when de southern soldiers came late in de night all de niggers got out of de bed an holdin torches high dey march behin de soldiers, all of dem singing We'll hang Abe Lincoln on de Sour Apple Tree. yes mam, dey wuz sorry dat dey wuz freeman' dey ain't got no reason tu be glad, case dey wuz happier den dan now”
    -Former slave Alice Baugh North Carolina Slave Narratives

“Does yo' know de cause of de war? Well hyar's de cause, dis Uncle Tom's Cabin wuz de cause of it all an' its' de biggest lie what ever been gived ter de public.”
    Alice Baugh North Carolina

Uncle Toms Cabin

Harriet Beecher Stowe born in Connecticut and later moved to Ohio. She published Uncle Tom's Cabin on March 20, 1852. It was translated into 23 languages and sold millions of copies. The book had a great effect on the northerners perception of slavery in the south. It portrayed slavery in the most brutal manner and a vast evil. Yet Stowe had never been to the south or observed slavery first hand, and she claimed she had visions from god and orders to write the book. In reality she received and used information from anti slavery society tracts. It was not a historical account, but it was really an anti- fugitive slave law pamphlet “disguised as a novel.”

“Stowe rights her books by making things up out of thin air”
    -Mary Chestnut

Even the well known northern abolitionist William Loyd Garrison said Stows book should be read as fiction and not as a true story. Years later her publication and after criticism Stow admitted it was not meant to be taken literally and was more a work of art, this after she had earlier said god commander her to write it.

“Product of the sympathetic imagination, which the historian must reject as quit misleading”
    -Woodrow Wilson
    Last edited by total relism; 05-14-2017 at 12:55.

Genesis 1.1

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In someways, PC-bashing has given the excuse for titles which would be more accurate if it was the shortened, to append an addition word opposed to: "Look Away Incorrect Information on Slavery in the CSA, America, and World"
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

First I dont wish to claim in my op all slaves were treated well, i said a few times that was not the case. However I must point out a few things. I am assuming this is one of the abolitionist slave auto biographies, am I incorrect? If so there is some info that needs to be said.
    It is the autobiography of a 'self-made' man of the Western frontier. The first two chapters are dedicated to the author's childhood in slavery.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    It is the autobiography of a 'self-made' man of the Western frontier. The first two chapters are dedicated to the author's childhood in slavery.
    when was it written? is it post war? if so than I would assume it was legit. I want to say from my readings it does seem Texas was a harsher form of slavery than most.

Genesis 1.1

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

They contain philosophy, religion and moral persuasion that would appear to be well beyond the typical slave [especially since they all said they were not allowed to read].
    You know, in order to be able to write those slaves must have learned how to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by total relism
    Also there is not one section of your quote that is not contradicted/refuted in my op. Showing the questionable reliability of the claims used.
    Hmm, no, it's rather that everybody else is debunking your pro-slavery arguments. Why don't we skip ahead to the inevitable point where you go on to say that the CSA had every right to secede and it was actually the Union's behaviour that was illegal?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Okay hoss you're going to have to quit talking out of both sides of your mouth. Either they are Marxist historians and their narrative is false or they don't accept the validity of slave testimonials and that's proof that they aren't valid.

you can't pick and choose your appeals to the same authority.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12