Thread: NVIDIA Driver Error

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default NVIDIA Driver Error

This seems to be affecting a considerable number of people - and no real fix for it.

Basically your video card overheats - fans spins like crazy and you get a "NVIDIA *video card model* cannot be ejected". This makes your computer force a restart in order to get the fan down to an acceptable level. Happens pretty much after gaming and it won't go away.

This happened to me after I updated my drivers - improved performance, but overheats my NVIDIA card and before I used to get a blue screen, now I get an ejected message instead of a blue screen but with the same effects.

Trawled through the internet, but not much help.

Anyone experience this as well?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: NVIDIA Driver Error

I don't frequently play 3D games nowadays, but I recall last year under updated drivers for a Nvidia 970 while playing an undemanding top-down style game, the fan was spinning overmuch and there was sometimes a metallic smell in the air.

I checked Speedfan: while the game was up, even in main menu, the GPU was heating to ~70 C. Once I switched away, the temperature would rapidly drop to the 30s. I did something to mitigate the problem, but I can't recall what it was. I never got to the point of a crash or freeze.

Oddly, a few months ago I came back to Fallout New Vegas with UHQ and graphics mods, and the temperature usually seemed fairly reasonable. A recurring problem with new drivers?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My problem is related to the drivers, it's because of them the whole thing started up. Before it was just a blue screen, restart and fan going on max but no problems with me on that because it kept the PC cool. (laptop)

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I switched to ATI now, but did you try reverting to an older driver from before this happened? I found that usually it can't hurt, with some of my older NVidia cards the drivers from about a year after release worked best while newer ones could lead to more bugs. I may have upgraded sometimes but it usually didn't seem like a pressing issue and the latest optimizations were usually for games I wasn't particularly interested in, so... YMMV, but I'd try reverting to an older driver.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I'm thinking perhaps older drivers will do the trick but then the performance of games will suffer. Weird issue that cannot be solved.

Proud

Been to:

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am experiencing something similar with my 980ti, I think. Computer simply turns itself off during gaming but rather randomly.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Its the problem of the driver, definitely, and updates to the drivers don't make it go away. I have to resort to an old driver...

Proud

Been to:

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I am experiencing something similar with my 980ti, I think. Computer simply turns itself off during gaming but rather randomly.
    That's got to be disconcerting..... That sort of thing usually makes me think it's a thermal or power supply issue.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I'm thinking perhaps older drivers will do the trick but then the performance of games will suffer. Weird issue that cannot be solved.
    The whole performance of games thing really depends in my opinion and experience. My RX 480 got several drivers that improved some performance somewhere but while I don't even own most of the specifically optimized AAA titles anyway, I didn't really notice the general insreases much either. Mostly the fps are all over the place anyway and whether it dipd from 43 to 41 or down to 41 for a split second is hardly something you notice while you play the game. It looks good in statistics and it's good that they do it, but in my experience it barely ever feels like a game changer. If you want a game changer, buy a more powerful GPU.

Of course it's possible that the newest AAA titles are so terribly programmed/optimized that the drivers can make them "up to 30% faster", which can really refer to very specific and rare situations or to the average fps during a whole storyline, but I was rarely able to find out historically.

So if I had to choose between 1-2 fps less in a few games and having my computer crash all the time with potentially damaging effects to my hardware, I wouldn't really hesitate to go back to the older driver.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

More driver updates, but I don't think they will fix the issue.

Just bought some compressed air cans, hopefully they will solve the overheating problem causing the DRIVER POWER FAILURE and the GT555M cannot be removed.

Proud

Been to:

Solved it with a good can of compressed air into the cooling of the laptop.

Proud

Been to:

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Solved it with a good can of compressed air into the cooling of the laptop.
    Mine was resolved by having the processor and motherboard replaced 3 times. Luckily it was under warranty and they did the work.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."