Thread: Call off Attack ( on battle screen ) at Amphibious Invasion

Question Call off Attack ( on battle screen ) at Amphibious Invasion

Yesterday I chose to call off an attack ( on the battle screen ) after launching an Amphibious Invasion, as I had a province to retreat to ( or so I had thought ).

I realised ( to late ), that the rules ( page 34 ) said this was not possible, and thus expected my invasion force to get wiped out.

However, all of the units survived and were returned to the provinces (2), that they had be moved from !

I presume this was a rule change when VI was added ?

[ I have MTW+VI ( Gold Edition ) @2.01. ]
    Last edited by DEB8; 06-01-2017 at 18:02.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Call off Attack ( on battle screen ) at Amphibious Invasion

All is well - the actual rule in the booklet is:

There is no retreat for an army attacking from the sea in this fashion, so they will be captured if they fail to take the target province
    You are okay if you decide to cancel the attack at the pre-battle screen - look at it as if they look at the shore and turn round the ships without landing. They haven't reached the point at which the rule above comes into play.

If, however, you start the battle and then decide to hit 'esc' and not deploy, that WOULD count as a retreat, and they will be captured, same as if you fought the battle and lost.

So, in short, cancelling the attack does not entail an actual retreat, so the army survives (although your general risks becoming 'hesitant'.)
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    You are okay if you decide to cancel the attack at the pre-battle screen - look at it as if they look at the shore and turn round the ships without landing. They haven't reached the point at which the rule above comes into play.
    In truth, I had considered that that was the logic that I would have applied to the situation - but I did not believe that that was the intention behind the written rule.
    Perchance I was influenced by applying the rule logic from another game ( a board game - Crusader Rex ) to the same situation...

If, however, you start the battle and then decide to hit 'esc' and not deploy, that WOULD count as a retreat, and they will be captured, same as if you fought the battle and lost.
    Hmmm, I did not know you could do that ( hit ESC ) within the Campaign game. I know you can whilst in a Custom Battle though...

So, in short, cancelling the attack does not entail an actual retreat, so the army survives (although your general risks becoming 'hesitant'.)
    Fair enough. Thanks for the Heads up / clarification.

Re: So, in short, cancelling the attack does not entail an actual retreat, so the army survives (although your general risks becoming 'hesitant'.)

What does he become if he goes on with the attack and his army is annihilated? I'd rather tactical withdrawals not be penalized (I know, WAY too late). Often, when besieging, if a new army comes up, I'll withdraw hoping the new army comes after me so I can fight at better odds. Seems like a general like that should be rewarded. Good thing George Washington wasn't a medieval general :)

Agreed.

[ I was not happy to find out that what I considered a sensible withdrawal ( from the field ) penalised my General's stats either... ]