Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Second Terrorist Attack on London Bridge

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Second Terrorist Attack on London Bridge

Iran is just too far away to care, I know that's pretty horrible to say but at least it's honest

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Iran is just too far away to care, I know that's pretty horrible to say but at least it's honest
    What should the distance be for you to start to care?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    What should the distance be for you to start to care?
    There was a much more horrible attack in Afganistan this week and nobody mentioned it, what are you asking from me

There was a much more horrible attack in Afganistan this week and nobody mentioned it, what are you asking from me
    So only Europe, then?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

So only Europe, then?
    Given that 'staunch' NATO support for Ukraine during the current turmoil, I think it would be hard to claim even all of Europe.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

So only Europe, then?
    Well yes, feel free to dislike me for that, but you will probably have to dislike a lot of people who feel the exact same way

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

It was mentioned, it did make headline news but because that's been a war zone since 1979 it can be filed as business as usual. A terrorist attack in the capitol of Iran is uncommon and also ironic due to their being a key exporter of terrorism throughout the middle east. It also has the potential to widen the ongoing sunni-shia conflict. The Afghan attack only shows that instability still reigns there and the inability of the Afghan govt and international community to reign in Pakistan's support/ignoring for terrorists such as the Haqqani network.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Quite telling as well, that the usual suspects have not opened a new thread about the Tehran terror attacks yet.

Time to insert a nice link: http://theantimedia.org/us-reaction-isis-attack-iran/
    The problem though is that it is by definition not possible for a country to have a foreign policy compatible with Islamic State. It's only a question of what IS has the power or priority to react against at a given time.

So choosing between "values" and "foreign policy" in this case is a false dilemma because these are blended.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well yes, feel free to dislike me for that, but you will probably have to dislike a lot of people who feel the exact same way
    This is not a reason for liking or disliking. Not for me. I understand the human nature in this respect. Why should anyone be sad about things happenning far away? But don't expect others to feel for you if something like that happens in your backyard.

This is not a reason for liking or disliking. Not for me. I understand the human nature in this respect. Why should anyone be sad about things happenning far away? But don't expect others to feel for you if something like that happens in your backyard.
    Oh dont't worry I know what it looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    The problem though is that it is by definition not possible for a country to have a foreign policy compatible with Islamic State. It's only a question of what IS has the power or priority to react against at a given time.

So choosing between "values" and "foreign policy" in this case is a false dilemma because these are blended.
    Well, that's not true at all and completely irrelevant as to why I posted it.
    Of course a country can have a foreign poilicy compatible with Islamic State. That country may cease to exist and become part of the Islamic State, but then the policy will still be compatible.

And then again it might just be about the country having the "least incompatible" foreign policy being the one that is a priority target for them. As in if Western or European Countries didn't try to manipulate others into doing their bidding, ISIS might be a local Middle Eastern issue and not bother with bombing Europeans. And if values and foreign policy are blended, what values do arms deals with Saudi Arabia represent?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Of course a country can have a foreign poilicy compatible with Islamic State. That country may cease to exist and become part of the Islamic State, but then the policy will still be compatible.
    But then it's no longer a country! See what I did?

As in if Western or European Countries didn't try to manipulate others into doing their bidding, ISIS might be a local Middle Eastern issue and not bother with bombing Europeans. And if values and foreign policy are blended, what values do arms deals with Saudi Arabia represent?
    These groups are mostly local issues, but as history shows the East Med is "local" for Europe.

Don't think in terms of "manipulation" and "bidding"; these aren't one-sided relationships.

Saudis get arms so that they can defend themselves against the militants they have bought and paid for, and also equipped with those arms. A complicated relationship for all parties to be sure.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123