Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and others shot at congressional softball practice

Default House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and others shot at congressional softball practice

Wooooo!!!

Default Re: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and others shot at congressional softball pract

Oh golly, I'm sure it was a leftist yoga teacher trying to make a point about gun control.

I wonder whether that one politician still thinks ISIS should be supported after they shot up the Iranian parliament.

There's really no serious point to make it seems, isn't this an everyday incident in the US?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

Default Re: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and others shot at congressional softball pract

South Carolina congressman Jeff Duncan said the suspect had asked him whether Republicans or Democrats were practising before shots rang out.

Mr Brooks said the gunman was armed with a rifle and was "blasting away" from behind the dugout, using it for protection. The congressman, who said he took refuge behind a batting cage, described the attacker as a middle-aged white male, "a little on the chubby side"

The last member of Congress to be targeted by a gunman was Democrat Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in the head as she met constituents in Tucson, Arizona, in January 2011. She survived, but six others died in that incident.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-14-2017 at 17:28.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Washington post, so might be false.
    Shooter identified by law enforcement officials as James T. Hodgkinson

The shooter at the GOP congressional baseball practice this morning is James T. Hodgkinson of Belleville, Ill., according to law enforcement officials. Hodgkinson, 66, owns a home inspection business, but his home inspection license expired in November 2016 and was not renewed, state records show.

Hodgkinson was charged in April 2006 with battery and aiding damage to a motor vehicle, according to online records in St. Clair County, Ill. The charges were dismissed, records show
    Assuming identification is true: the nature of his targets, his question to Jeff Duncan and this entry of his twitter profile indicates an obvious political motivation:
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-14-2017 at 17:54.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

The initial reports were of a gunman wielding a rifle, one doesn't tend to wield a rifle unless they have a political motivation.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Blog Entries

BBC have confirmed the shooter's identity.

The attacker, identified as Illinois native James T Hodgkinson, was taken to hospital and died from his injuries.

Expect more events like this under the current administration.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Man, you should expect this kind of stuff in general because of the messed up culture the US has been living with for the past thirty or forty years. We've had a weirdo survivalist/revolutionary culture ever since the Reagan years, and as much as I was surprised this guy was a leftist, I really shouldn't have been, because the "it's time for a change, no matter what" mentality has been slowly building for decades now. It's become more noticeable in the past ten or fifteen years because it started showing up more in the media, but stuff like the Turner Diaries and Timothy McVeigh should tell you this attitude has been around a long time.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Tiresome
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Man, you should expect this kind of stuff in general because of the messed up culture the US has been living with for the past thirty or forty years. We've had a weirdo survivalist/revolutionary culture ever since the Reagan years, and as much as I was surprised this guy was a leftist, I really shouldn't have been, because the "it's time for a change, no matter what" mentality has been slowly building for decades now. It's become more noticeable in the past ten or fifteen years because it started showing up more in the media, but stuff like the Turner Diaries and Timothy McVeigh should tell you this attitude has been around a long time.
    I agree, but I'm making the point that the Obama/Trump years have acted as a catalyst for the transition into a more violent society in general.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Yeah, it sucks. Like Strike said, tiresome.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

I think the US needs to round up fat white men and interrogate them. Also prevent migration from any country with fat white men. Something must be done about this threat.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Members thankful for this post (4):

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Think its kinda ironic that Senator Rand Paul tweeted this almost exactly a year ago:

Why do we have a Second Amendment? It's not to shoot deer. It's to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical!
    So if this guy was trying to stop what he sees as tyrannical, was he justified? When is taking up arms against the government justified? Over the past eight years you had the NRA and such groups claiming that the 2nd Amendment is there to ensure that tyrannical governments are stopped. But the definition of a tyrannical government is very subjective clearly. I would bet that if you asked most NRA members, tyranny is only possible if the other side is in power.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 06-17-2017 at 04:23.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Think its kinda ironic that Senator Rand Paul tweeted this almost exactly a year ago:

So if this guy was trying to stop what he sees as tyrannical, was he justified? When is taking up arms against the government justified? Over the past eight years you had the NRA and such groups claiming that the 2nd Amendment is there to ensure that tyrannical governments are stopped. But the definition of a tyrannical government is very subjective clearly. I would bet that if you asked most NRA members, tyranny is only possible if the other side is in power.
    The Declaration of Independence states that if a long train of abuses and usurpations evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, they have the right and duty to throw it off. Considering that Scalise was a member of the party that is trying to cut back on the role of government, this is not a valid defense. Had this happened to any member of the Democrat party I would decry this just as much; murder spurred by hate, which is what this is, is not a valid throwing off of tyranny. The decision of when to throw off a government is a very touchy one, and one that could be debated endlessly, which I will not do.

As far as the NRA and Second Amendment go, yes, that is why the Second Amendment exists, in the words of our founders. It would be any form of government that attempts tyranny, though hopefully it could be headed off at the ballot box. An armed overthrow is and should be the absolute last resort, as it was for our founding fathers. Sir Edmund Burke also saw it coming, and urged reconciliation before it came to the colonies attempting revolution.

Right now, considering that the Republican side is more in line with the system of government our founders established (not enough for my tastes, but certainly better than the last eight years), tyranny would most likely come from the Democrat side, especially when you look at things like the IRS scandal, and also things like Waco and Ruby Ridge in the Clinton administration. I decry tyranny no matter who tries to establish it.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 06-17-2017 at 19:00.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

You mean the IRS scandal that both the DOJ and FBI cleared? Ruby Ridge and Waco were made possible by a Reagan administration and a Gingrich congress putting federal law enforcement on steroids in order to fight their drug wars. The tyranny creep is a two street and any real tyranny will have the near total backing of the government.

Rand is a spineless grandstander like his father.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

You mean the IRS scandal that both the DOJ and FBI cleared? Ruby Ridge and Waco were made possible by a Reagan administration and a Gingrich congress putting federal law enforcement on steroids in order to fight their drug wars. The tyranny creep is a two street and any real tyranny will have the near total backing of the government.

Rand is a spineless grandstander like his father.
    What do you expect when you ask a corrupt administration to investigate itself? We know that the Clintons are corrupt, and Loretta Lynch is no better, and Barack Obama is in their class as well, though he is used to bullying his way around, till somebody stands up to him that he has no power over. The ATF was operating under orders from the Clinton administration at Waco and Ruby Ridge. They were the ones in power, at the time. It was not the Reagan or Bush administration.

I am not a huge fan of Plato, but he has a good point when he points out that the tyrant must manufacture enemies in order to maintain power, so that the people may forever be requiring a leader. He also said that when he first appears he appears as a protector.

Hate is hate. It does not matter who is perpetrating it. If your hatred leads you to violence, you are wrong. Period, end of story.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Butler View Post
    What do you expect when you ask a corrupt administration to investigate itself?
    When did the FBI become a tool of the executive branch?

We know that the Clintons are corrupt, and Loretta Lynch is no better, and Barack Obama is in their class as well, though he is used to bullying his way around, till somebody stands up to him that he has no power over.
    This is all right wing radio paranoia. The Clintons are no more corrupt than any other lifer politicians. So yea, they are really fucking corrupt, but nothing that is our the ordinary. Loretta Lynch? Are we still talking about Benghazi? I am not sure when Obama bullied anyone. He droned striked the shit out of some people though. I guess thats a kind of high grade bullying

The ATF was operating under orders from the Clinton administration at Waco and Ruby Ridge. They were the ones in power, at the time. It was not the Reagan or Bush administration.
    The late 80s and early 90s were a time of massive militarization of police that both sides of the aisle participated in. It was also very popular because we were taking on all those drug dealers. Tyranny came with all kinds of thumbs and accolades
    I am not a huge fan of Plato, but he has a good point when he points out that the tyrant must manufacture enemies in order to maintain power, so that the people may forever be requiring a leader. He also said that when he first appears he appears as a protector.
    I am not a huge fan of irrelevant authoritative appeals. A protector you say? You mean like when an old man with dementia tells the country he is going to get rid of those pesky Mexican rapists? In any case, right wing militias are in no way a manufactured threat. They are well armed and well organized. The whole Bundy debacle reminded us of that. I realize the last decade we have been focused on like the 8 muslims who live in the western hemisphere but there are more insidious threats out there.

Hate is hate. It does not matter who is perpetrating it. If your hatred leads you to violence, you are wrong. Period, end of story.
    But your violence would be pure because it would be against tyranny? Your violence would come from a place of righteousness and not hate?

Americans mythologize the revolution to a scary degree. 25% of Americans were forced out of the former colonies and had their property seized. British officials were tortured merely for trying to enforce laws. Enslaved peoples were promised freedom, only to see that promise be reneged on. The country only made it out of the 18th century because it centralized power and had a Cincinnatus turned Caeser as the first executive. Funny how little time Washington had for rebellions when he was top dog.

There may be times were a fight against tyranny is necessary but it will leave us all poorer for it and it will not succeed.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 06-18-2017 at 06:41.

This is exactly why I rarely visit the backroom, you get drawn into endless arguments where nobody will win. I was addressing a point to clarify exactly why the Founders gave us the Second Amendment and why the shooter was not acting in that accord.

When did the FBI become a tool of the executive branch?
    Ummm...Loretta Lynch was put in place by Obama, James Comey as FBI director answers to the President. It is part of the executive branch, charge with enforcing the law.

this is all right wing radio paranoia. The Clintons are no more corrupt than any other lifer politicians.
    Well, I would agree about most lifer politicians being corrupt, few more so than my own representative, who I have heard some say is one of the most corrupt, and he is a Republican. However, it is far from being right wing radio paranoia, as most of the talk shows will agree about the corruption. I would say that the Clintons are more corrupt than most.

Obama was a community organizer. He is used to getting his way by thuggery. Look, that is the way Chicago politics works. He got into office in part because he got both his primary and general election challenger's SEALED divorce court records opened, exposing nasty personal details. We can't do anything personally against him, so he had no problems pushing his agenda of expanding the reach of government into our lives, most of the time using executive order.

I am not a huge fan of irrelevant authoritative appeals. A protector you say? You mean like when an old man with dementia tells the country he is going to get rid of those pesky Mexican rapists? In any case, right wing militias are in no way a manufactured threat. They are well armed and well organized. The whole Bundy debacle reminded us of that. I realize the last decade we have been focused on like the 8 muslims who live in the western hemisphere but there are more insidious threats out there.
    Actually, the militias are very little threat, I know in my state they were actually disarmed. Anyway, the militia is the whole of the people, that is why we were allowed to be armed. This is from the founders' own words. As far as Plato goes, I was referencing a couple of quotes I agreed with, and was in no way using that as an authoritative appeal, as I said, I don't care for Plato. That is a logical fallacy, to do that.

Incest is a problem in the Mexican communities. Deny it all you want, as I am sure you will, but it is true. Yes, many of them are rapists and murderers and thieves. That happens here with non-Mexicans, but we don't need more. I don't know how many times I have seen a report of somebody of Hispanic heritage who had deported numerous times who finally commits murder or rape or some other heinous crime.

Let's see...Pulse nightclub...San Bernardino...Fort Hood...Naval Shipyards...attack on Pam Geller's art exhibit...WTC '93...WTC '01 (no conspiracy mentions, we know that the attackers were mainly Saudi)...Boston Marathon...Oklahoma beheading...Navy recruiting facility...and these are just ones on American soil. The only thing you can bring up is Bundy? Or do you mean Timothy McVeigh?

But your violence would be pure because it would be against tyranny? Your violence would come from a place of righteousness and not hate?
    I specifically said used violence spurred by hate. Throwing off tyranny is an acceptable use of violence. Defending my family against an attacker is acceptable use of violence. Fighting in defense of country is an acceptable use of violence. Nowhere did I say that any kind of violence was unacceptable. There are legitimate reasons. And throwing off tyranny violently is an absolute last resort, when all others attempts have failed.

Americans mythologize the revolution to a scary degree. 25% of Americans were forced out of the former colonies and had their property seized. British officials were tortured merely for trying to enforce laws. Enslaved peoples were promised freedom, only to see that promise be reneged on. The country only made it out of the 18th century because it centralized power and had a Cincinnatus turned Caeser as the first executive. Funny how little time Washington had for rebellions when he was top dog.
    I am not sure if I understand what you are saying here. Are you referring to the Tories who left or were forced to leave? As far as the British officials being tortured, that may have happened, but I very seriously doubt more than a couple of times, and no, that would not have been justified, nor was the imprisonment and torture of Americans, nor was their ignoring of America's attempts at reconciliation. Washington as Cincinnatus? I don't understand the comparison, I am not familiar with Cincinattus, but what would Washington be rebelling against after throwing off the British? Of course he would have little time for rebellion, there was no longer a need for it.

I am not against a central government, the Federalist Papers make the case for that very clearly. I am just for a very limited central government, that only acts in the law or principles of the powers granted it in the Constitution. And for the record. I am in no way calling for the overthrow of the US government, not that anybody was saying that, but just to put it in the conversation.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 06-18-2017 at 08:25.

Strike you already lost the war when you decided to argue with a man who says that Republicans cannot by definition be tyrannical.

Members thankful for this post (2):

This is exactly why I rarely visit the backroom, you get drawn into endless arguments where nobody will win. I was addressing a point to clarify exactly why the Founders gave us the Second Amendment and why the shooter was not acting in that accord.
    Well you are wrong. I am addressing that point.

Ummm...Loretta Lynch was put in place by Obama, James Comey as FBI director answers to the President. It is part of the executive branch, charge with enforcing the law.
    That would be news to Hoover. In any case, the FBI directors since him have maintained their distance from the executive branch. There is a reason they serve 10 year terms and tend to be pulled from law enforcement. In theory, all these people serve the government and not the executive. Now I will grant that AG relationships have been warmer than others but that does not mean they blindly do the bidding of the president. Trump has found this out very recently.

Well, I would agree about most lifer politicians being corrupt, few more so than my own representative, who I have heard some say is one of the most corrupt, and he is a Republican. However, it is far from being right wing radio paranoia, as most of the talk shows will agree about the corruption. I would say that the Clintons are more corrupt than most.
    Everyone starts a foundation. Everyone collects speaking fees. The Clintons are no more corrupt than others with the same amount of power.

Obama was a community organizer. He is used to getting his way by thuggery. Look, that is the way Chicago politics works. He got into office in part because he got both his primary and general election challenger's SEALED divorce court records opened, exposing nasty personal details. We can't do anything personally against him, so he had no problems pushing his agenda of expanding the reach of government into our lives, most of the time using executive order.
    If You mention Tony Rezko, I get a bingo. Jack Ryans divorce records were unsealed. Nowhere is there a reputable source saying Obama had anything to do with it. There are a lot of memes and fringe conspiracies implicating him, but those do not exactly pass muster.

The imperial presidency has been a thing long before Obama. Every party out of power has complained about it and every party in power has used it. The power the president now wields is a direct result of Americas nuclear weapons. As long as America has nukes, we will have a strong executive.

Actually, the militias are very little threat, I know in my state they were actually disarmed. Anyway, the militia is the whole of the people, that is why we were allowed to be armed. This is from the founders' own words. As far as Plato goes, I was referencing a couple of quotes I agreed with, and was in no way using that as an authoritative appeal, as I said, I don't care for Plato. That is a logical fallacy, to do that.
    Militias exploded after Obama got elected, Imagine that.

Incest is a problem in the Mexican communities. Deny it all you want, as I am sure you will, but it is true.
    It is not true at all and is typical slander.

Yes, many of them are rapists and murderers and thieves. That happens here with non-Mexicans, but we don't need more. I don't know how many times I have seen a report of somebody of Hispanic heritage who had deported numerous times who finally commits murder or rape or some other heinous crime.
    The number of illegal immigrants who have been convicted of a felony is half that of the general population. Which is all the more amazing considering the fact the drug is in one of its "hot" times.

Let's see...Pulse nightclub...San Bernardino...Fort Hood...Naval Shipyards...attack on Pam Geller's art exhibit...WTC '93...WTC '01 (no conspiracy mentions, we know that the attackers were mainly Saudi)...Boston Marathon...Oklahoma beheading...Navy recruiting facility...and these are just ones on American soil. The only thing you can bring up is Bundy? Or do you mean Timothy McVeigh?
    There is a cohesive right wing movement in this country that is seeing its rolls swell with disenfranchised white males. Islamic terrorism is a problem but it is a problem that, at least in our hemisphere, has mostly been contained to those who watched some you tube videos and were self radicalized.

I specifically said used violence spurred by hate.
    Almost all violence is spurred by hate.
    Throwing off tyranny is an acceptable use of violence.
    That is exactly what this man thought he was doing.

Defending my family against an attacker is acceptable use of violence. Fighting in defense of country is an acceptable use of violence.
    I agree
    Nowhere did I say that any kind of violence was unacceptable. There are legitimate reasons. And throwing off tyranny violently is an absolute last resort, when all others attempts have failed.
    I mean maybe. But tyranny, more often than not, is in the eye of the beholder.

I am not sure if I understand what you are saying here. Are you referring to the Tories who left or were forced to leave?
    Neither were compensated. See how rebellions get tricky? Simply following the law can deprive you of everything.

As far as the British officials being tortured, that may have happened, but I very seriously doubt more than a couple of times, and no, that would not have been justified, nor was the imprisonment and torture of Americans, nor was their ignoring of America's attempts at reconciliation.
    Do you understand what tarring and feathering is? Riding someone out on a rail? Burning down the Governor of Massachusetts house?

Washington as Cincinnatus? I don't understand the comparison, I am not familiar with Cincinattus, but what would Washington be rebelling against after throwing off the British? Of course he would have little time for rebellion, there was no longer a need for it.
    You can not lecture me on what the second amendment means, when you are not aware of the Cincinnatus archtype. This is basic, high school level, cherry tree stuff.

Cincinnatus was a Roman. He was twice granted dictatorship to drive out scary invaders and twice he gave up his executive power. He just went back to his fields. Washington is the "American Cinncinatus". He may have been able to be king but he was all like " Martha basically owns all of Kentucky (allegedly) so I am ok". And, of course, when he gave up the presidency.

I mean there was a need for it. If you were a regular who hasn't been paid by the new government, why is this any different? If the American government is taxing you for your whiskey with no Rep, what has changed? See what I mean with the whole "eye of the beholder" thing?

If you would like to learn more about the Revolution, I can start you in two easily accessible places. Robert Middlekauff wrote a great history of the revolution that is part of the Oxford series. It is a bit dated now but still very much holds its own as a primer. Ron Chernow wrote a fantastic biography of Washington just a few years ago. He may be a journalist but he apparently had access to some new archives? In any event, it is fantastic.

I am not going to bother with most of the points, but I will address several, and then pull out of the thread. We will get nowhere with it anyway. The stats about Mexicans being criminals are subjective in the fact that you can find sources that back up your points, I can find sources to back up mine. I don't think Scalise's shooter thought he was acting against tyranny.

I can lecture on what the Second Amendment was for one simple reason. I am going with what the ones who wrote it said about it, the Founding Fathers. I figure they are the best ones to explain what it is about. The thread took this turn on a comment about that anyway. What Washington did after the Presidency is irrelevant anyway in regards to what the Second Amendment is about.

The right wing extremist bit is all hype. Violence by conservatives, even hard-core right-wingers, is extremely rare, practically non-existent, and those who do engage in it are very quickly decried by others. I can't say the same about the left, Obama and Clinton and Lynch and the leftists did virtually nothing when the police started getting shot, Marilyn Mosby said that the rioters in Baltimore should be allowed to riot, and all the destructive riots after any police shooting of a black man and after election day show that the hatred and violence in this country is concentrated in the left. Whether or not those police were guilty does not give people the right to riot and destroy property.

The right wing extremist bit is all hype. Violence by conservatives, even hard-core right-wingers, is extremely rare, practically non-existent, and those who do engage in it are very quickly decried by others. I can't say the same about the left, Obama and Clinton and Lynch and the leftists did virtually nothing when the police started getting shot, Marilyn Mosby said that the rioters in Baltimore should be allowed to riot, and all the destructive riots after any police shooting of a black man and after election day show that the hatred and violence in this country is concentrated in the left. Whether or not those police were guilty does not give people the right to riot and destroy property.

I guess the KKK is left wing organization then and the Iraq war or the seven countries Trump is bombing right now just don't count as right wing violence because foreigners ain't people.
    Or one could just say that right wing nuts aren't violent because despite all the whining about the war on christmas, deep inside they know they rule the country and oppress the others, they basically have as much reason to break free as a slave owner.
    The rioting after shootings of black people took quite a long time of repetitions when it became clear that noone was doing anything to stop it. If you ignore the peaceful protests, you get the riots after a while. What you're basically asking for is that black people just shut up and take it. You seem angrier about the destruction of property than the killing of black people...

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I know the ADL isnt regarded highly around here, but its an interesting article nonetheless:

Over the past 10 years (2007-2016), domestic extremists of all kinds have killed at least 372 people in the United States. Of those deaths, approximately 74% were at the hands of right-wing extremists, about 24% of the victims were killed by domestic Islamic extremists, and the remainder were killed by left-wing extremists.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It is getting harder to have a conversation with my best friend. All throughout college we would have constructive conversations about politics being from opposite sides of the spectrum.
    Last three conversations we have talked about current events he has laid out the following opinions:

1. Emotions are used to manipulate people, so why should I care about empathizing with others who don't have health insurance? I only care about my friends and immediate family, anything else is foolish.
    2. I think publicly used businesses should not be able to suppress my right to free speech. (This is in response to an alt-right person kicked out of a movie theater.) Your property rights shouldn't trample my right to free speech.
    3. (most recently) I don't think it was right for CNN to doxx someone for expressing their opinion. They have a right to privacy, anyone should be able to express their opinion without having their personal life infringed upon.

I didn't really have a counter point to 1. I disagree, but I am so far not smart enough to put together a cohesive argument on why empathy is a good trait to have.

When I said to him that point 2 leads to a legal slippery slope that if I can't control what someone says on my property, how do I control how it is used? What is to stop people from spoiling movies in the theater and claiming it is their free speech?
    He replied back that if gays and blacks have to be served, alt-right people shouldn't be discriminated against. I told him blackness and gayness are arbitrary values to discriminate on. Your political opinion is something you choose to have and is therefore not arbitrary to discriminate on. He said he simply disagrees and wouldn't elaborate.

When I said to him that point 3 is odd because I don't see how you can assert a right to privacy on a public forum (reddit) he said that everyone behaves differently between work, your friends and when you are alone. Posting someones info for sharing an opinion is ruining that person by forcing those worlds together. I understand the benefits of anonymity, but it seems impractical to expect the world to leave you alone when you are re-tweeted by the POTUS.

But, he is still my friend and I hope that I can talk with him some more and understand his position and why the alt-right feel so angry.

He replied back that if gays and blacks have to be served, alt-right people shouldn't be discriminated against. I told him blackness and gayness are arbitrary values to discriminate on. Your political opinion is something you choose to have and is therefore not arbitrary to discriminate on. He said he simply disagrees and wouldn't elaborate.
    On the other hand, many on the left believe that political orientation should not be a basis for discrimination in, for instance, hiring or employment.

The CNN thing, I have trouble understanding because I'm not clear in general to what extent private individuals can assert their privacy (legally or by tradition) in a relationship with news media, and to what extent these media have broad discretion to name principals as they see fit. "Unnamed sources" are a matter of trust in the sourcing of information and so work on the honor principle, and AFAIK legal restrictions are usually related (in some jurisdictions) to the naming of individuals subject to legal or civil suit. For now my impression of the CNN thing is, like the tennis guy recently, they didn't speak or act inappropriately, but nevertheless gave inelegant or provocative wording.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Blog Entries

The CNN issue is blackmail; they outright said they "reserves the right" to dox the man if he resumed making political content CNN doesnt like.

A good summary:
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-07-2017 at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I didn't really have a counter point to 1. I disagree, but I am so far not smart enough to put together a cohesive argument on why empathy is a good trait to have.
    Because I'd like to tie you up and break your bones in various ways just to study what exactly happens, what it looks like and how I can wiggle my finger around in your flesh. But somehow I have empathy and the fear that if this is how our society works, then the next bigger guy will come and do the same to me. In fact that is probably exactly why societies formed and invented government and so on. To protect the weak. And weakness is relative. Different people need to be protected from or helped with different things. If your friend thinks he has no weakness then he may just be dishonest (to himself) or not know his weakness (yet).

Health insurance is a social contract that has others protect you when you need help and in return you help others when they need help. The whole idea of young people being healthy and not needing it is turned on its head when they break their neck partying or speeding or contract some strange little virus that seems so small and yet eats up half their intestines and either kills them or turns them into a little sad sack of helplessness. The reason your friend doesn't have a deformed body from Polio might just be that people care about one another and put a lot of effort and money into getting everyone vaccinated.

The reason he doesn't get robbed by brigands on the way to school might just be that people with money pay taxes for the police to protect everyone. And the people this protects may provide benefits in return. See Dr. Hawking. Without any health insurance of some sort the man would probably have died long ago or not been able to afford all the technology that allows him to continue his work. In return for society buying him a speech computer and an expensive electric wheelchair, he continues to produce science that could one day benefit everyone, including your friend. Which also shows that the weakness of Dr. Hawking does not take away from his genius in other areas.

I don't know how else to explain it, if someone doesn't get it by this point, they should probably be shredded for the benefit of the collective. Hail Sparta!

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    The CNN issue is blackmail; they outright said they "reserves the right" to dox the man if he resumed making political content CNN doesnt like.

A good summary:
    Probably not, since CNN and presumably the reporter is based in Georgia the relevant law would be the following: http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/...icle-1/16-8-16

I don't see where CNN meets those criteria. Ill watch your video in full later today.

Blog Entries

The legal applicability in the state is debateable, the action is not; this is an unambiguous case of the threat of revealing personal information being held to coerce that person into discontinuting perfectly legal actions.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-07-2017 at 22:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    The legal applicability in the state is debateable, the action is not; this is an unambiguous case of the threat of revealing personal information being held to coerce that person into discontinuting perfectly legal actions.
    No, if you are calling something blackmail it needs to fit the definition of blackmail.

Also its not personal info if it is publicly available
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 07-08-2017 at 00:14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast